This concept of "talent" of which we speak...

Bowfin

Alabama and Ohio State have had excellent runs for a decade or so. They likely have the two best coaches, and that has helped fill their rosters with the best recruits, the best talents.

After that, you'll find teams with all the advantages we supposedly yearn for, who still manage to put together disappointing seasons: USC, UCLA, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Michigan, Texas, etc.

Clemson might drop back off the NC map as soon as it loses its star quarterback. Oregon could easily slide, regardless of Phil Knight's money. Alabama and Ohio State will come back down to earth, because it always happens.

A program can catch fire with the right coach creating the right culture in the right program. There is enough talent out there to go around, though you gotta be more clever about it as an underdog.

The money is more overt of course in professional sports, but the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers have spent gazillions on top talent, only to get outplayed by teams with better clubhouse chemistry.

After what I watched Saturday vs UC Davis. They could definitely struggle. They are missing defensive difference makers and their OL is super young. They will slide a bit this year.

What Bama looks and plays like.

I was watching the FSU and Ole Miss game last night and I was thinking how neither Nebraska or Oregon has those kind of athletes relative to the depth of Ole Miss and FSU.

FSU, Bama, OSU, Clemson.

Those are the teams that look it off the top of my head. The way they play. They look and play like a well oiled machine as a whole. I can understand why Phil Steele picked FSU to win the title this year. I don't think they will win but I think they are in the discussion, before last night, I thought Steele was nuts.

It's not that NU can't have those athletes and rewatching the game last night NU is closer than some may think. Part of it is developing the talent into those kinds of players as well. Another note. I felt NU played much faster in every area than they did in any spot last season. Hesitation is gone from what I saw. NU is on the way up.

Well Coach, I went to the Oregon/UC Davis game. What did you think. I was a bit underwelmed. I wanted to go to the game and have Oregon really wow me and just watch them destroy a bad 1AA team, and they just didn't do it.

Yea. I wasn't happy. I went from mad, to being ok, back to disappointed....

fwiw....U.C. Davis has a history of looking better than they are against teams that overlook them.

They arn't very good, they were 2-9 last year. The really good Oregon teams would have won this game 70-14. It was just the first game of the season, but Davis played within 2 TDs the whole game. Oregon has a lot of work to do on defense and the offense was a little shaky. Their return game looked great.

Yes, agree with a the gist of what you say, Guy, but: The dam Yankees have won way more than their fair share of the titles - because, I think most would agree - they have the best players that unlimited money can buy. Ever since we were all just kids playing 'sandlot' football on the school playground or on a Saturday afternoon in the fall, we all know that when the teams are 'picked', the best players are chosen first. The worst are always left for last.

Recruiting is a vital/essential/critical/key factor in the success of a program. If the Bamas and Ohio States and the rest of the big name programs didn't believe in recruiting so hard because they could just coach up and train most anybody off the street, then they sure wouldn't go to the effort and expense.

Building an elite level program requires - facilities, coaches, recruiting, programs, academics, promotion and branding, money, administration, etc, etc etc. You can never be too good at any of them and you need to build the right culture, attitude, confidence, etc. Never underestimate the value and importance of image and publicity. Harbaugh goes to Michigan and ESPN, BTN, etc. and etc just rant and rave. Really, is he the 'proven' as a supreme coach? I dare say NOT but he is given the attention of a superstar. This certainly helps.

Hard work is the single most important ingredient in the success of almost any endeavor. But I could work harder and be trained and coached by to top twenty football coaches of all time as measured by anyone's standards, and could NEVER be good enough to start and play QB at Nebraska. I am not big, strong or fast enough and certainly am too old, etc. LOL I lack the 'talent' and skill and athletic ability and aptitude and any other term you may want to plug in to describe my capability to be a great football player. I may understand the game and and position as well as anyone every, but I am not athlete enough to be a great player. It takes the whole package.

fwiw....U.C. Davis has a history of looking better than they are against teams that overlook them.

Every one of these Power 5/FCS matchups have to be taken with a grain of salt these days. Like Tenn/App St. I dont think that game was a 100% true indicator of either team. The big boy will always play it down with a sense of overlooking, and the little guy will always put everything they have into it as a huge opportunity on the big stage. It's a tougher situation for the big boy than many folks realize. And now a days, there's a lot to support it.

They arn't very good, they were 2-9 last year. The really good Oregon teams would have won this game 70-14. It was just the first game of the season, but Davis played within 2 TDs the whole game. Oregon has a lot of work to do on defense and the offense was a little shaky. Their return game looked great.

Wasnt it 39-14 at one point? I'm pretty sure it was. That's when I started to go from Ok to getting pissed.

Every one of these Power 5/FCS matchups have to be taken with a grain of salt these days. Like Tenn/App St. I dont think that game was a 100% true indicator of either team. The big boy will always play it down with a sense of overlooking, and the little guy will always put everything they have into it as a huge opportunity on the big stage. It's a tougher situation for the big boy than many folks realize. And now a days, there's a lot to support it.

App State isn't FCS.

Tennessee is overrated, but I'm sure they'll win some games in a weak SEC east and be touted as outstanding.

• Fire 2

App State isn't FCS.

Tennessee is overrated, but I'm sure they'll win some games in a weak SEC east and be touted as outstanding.

When did they move up? is this there first year? 2nd? Cuz now that you mention it, I do recall them jumping. I just cant remember when.

Tennessee is not a top ten team. Obviously. But my point is, sometimes a first game against (what i thought was) an fcs team isnt exactly a full tell tale sign either.

Nebraska eeked by McNeese St. Youll like this since youre still a Bo lover and still make excuses for him. That game wasnt an indicator of how good McNeese was or how bad nebraska was. I was just a silly game.

App State isn't FCS.

When did they move up? is this there first year? 2nd? Cuz now that you mention it, I do recall them jumping. I just cant remember when.

Tennessee is not a top ten team. Obviously. But my point is, sometimes a first game against (what i thought was) an fcs team isnt exactly a full tell tale sign either.

Nebraska eeked by McNeese St. Youll like this since youre still a Bo lover and still make excuses for him. That game wasnt an indicator of how good McNeese was or how bad nebraska was. I was just a silly game.

Last year. Went 11-2

Wasnt it 39-14 at one point? I'm pretty sure it was. That's when I started to go from Ok to getting pissed.

Yeah I guess it was then it went to 39-21 and Davis stalled out and missed a FG at about the 12 yard line. You are right it probably wasn't a 2 TD game for most of the game but it sure felt that way. I think NU or any team that wants to will be able to run right at Oregon. For some reason UC Davis felt they needed to throw the ball around a lot, but when they ran right at Oregon they had success.

First game of the season are really hard to judge, but UC Davis was not a very good team. Not saying NU looked super great either, but NU's defense looked good against an inferior team, and they ran the ball well. Oregon gave up 400+ yards to a 2-9 1AA team. They just looked out of sinc a lot of the day. Their return game gave them some short fields to work with.

Yeah I guess it was then it went to 39-21 and Davis stalled out and missed a FG at about the 12 yard line. You are right it probably wasn't a 2 TD game for most of the game but it sure felt that way. I think NU or any team that wants to will be able to run right at Oregon. For some reason UC Davis felt they needed to throw the ball around a lot, but when they ran right at Oregon they had success.

First game of the season are really hard to judge, but UC Davis was not a very good team. Not saying NU looked super great either, but NU's defense looked good against an inferior team, and they ran the ball well. Oregon gave up 400+ yards to a 2-9 1AA team. They just looked out of sinc a lot of the day. Their return game gave them some short fields to work with.

Yea I feel uneasy about the defense. However I have to remember that they looked shaky at the beginning last year and ended way better than they started. Hopefully its similar. Gotta assume they improve through out the year. Who knows.

Feel like they standing on the edge of a cliff right now. Helfrich better get recruiting shored up. Starting to feel a bit like a Larry Coker situation.