Huskers Get New Glasses

Mavric

Yeah they are kind of the new health fad but actually kind of work. However, Bando is backwards, melatonin is needed by the body and is what helps you sleep. Blue light emitted by electronics (ie. staring at smartphones) suppress the creation of melatonin by the body.

Sounds complicated, but basically they are just wearing orange tinted sunglasses.

The orange tint negates the blue light and allows for increased melatonin production that naturally lets you sleep better.

• Fire 2

Yeah, it's the blue light that supposedly suppresses melatonin -- by imitating sunlight a little too well. I have the same apps mentioned here for all my devices. It's also just more comfortable in the evening -- well, depending on the lighting in your room, which I also like to be softer.

I don't know that there is evidence behind this practice. Perhaps a better thing to do is avoid screens too late at night altogether. But that can be kinda hard to do these days.

It must really work. I installed the Twilight app on my phone last night, played with it for about 20 minutes right before bed and slept like a baby. In fact I had trouble waking up all day. Of course I attribute this to 20 minutes less of blue light last night and not at all to being dog tired when I got home from work.

I would suggest that everyone should download this onto their PC

https://justgetflux.com/

It blocks out the blue light based on time of day. Definitely helps to wind down in the evenings (as opposed to staring into the constant glow of the screen).

That being said, if Nebraska needs these to beat Wyoming...they might have bigger problems than blue light!

That's what I use too. I used to have problems falling asleep after studying or writing papers late into the night and I think it helped.

Mav posted something earlier about how one of the first things Coach Riley asked Bill Devany to do was to figure out ways to get the players less lethargic during 11 am games. I'm wondering if this is something he came up with.