NU football, Social Media and Protesting

eoltmer

So read this today http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17644850/nebraska-cornhuskers-lb-michael-rose-ivey-receives-racial-backlash-anthem-protest

I know that everyone has the right to freedom of speech and right to peaceful protest. So why then are what is becoming more common place during athletic events is people performing peaceful protests to "insert topic" being lamb blasted by what I presume to be a loud minority. I am military and I can identify with both sides because per my oath of enlistment I will support and defend the constitution of the United States. Not the flag, not the national anthem but the freaking constitution. I respect people more for those that have served and protested injustice than those that have never learned what it's like to die and defend those rights.

My other qualm with this issue is when you make the conscious choice to protest on a public stage then you will expect backlash. All be it some backlash is more extreme than others but with today's social media kids and the media are getting more and more butt hurt about people responses to there life choices. I believe if you have a problem with being blasted on social media then your skin isn't thick enough to be protesting on a public stage.

Just my 2 cents

• Fire 4

Who are you claiming has thin skin in this scenario? That isn't exactly clear from your post.

I want to thank you for your service, genuinely. But I'm not sure what you mean by:

I am military and I can identify with both sides because per my oath of enlistment I will support and defend the constitution of the United States. Not the flag, not the national anthem but the freaking constitution. I respect people more for those that have served and protested injustice than those that have never learned what it's like to die and defend those rights.

Their first amendment right is the right to free speech. You have protected against the infringement of that right with your oath. Can you explain what you mean by "Not the flag, not the national anthem, but the freaking constitution" ?

How about if we go to a football game in a football stadium, we just have football?

If anybody else has anything that they want to share during the national anthem, rent their own stadium and hire their own band.

Except that stadium and the band are paid for and supported by public funds. Even the NFL can't claim their stadiums are paid for by their business.

The only thing I don't like is that all people complain about the backlash on Twitter. I would say at least 95% of those twitter comments are from made up accounts that are strictly to troll certain agendas to piss people off. I can't say I went and checked his account, but we hear of this all the time.

It doesn't make it right, but people have to realize these are from worthless people sitting behind a computer with no name, face, address etc attached to their comments. Who cares about those people.

Who are you claiming has thin skin in this scenario? That isn't exactly clear from your post.

I want to thank you for your service, genuinely. But I'm not sure what you mean by:

I am military and I can identify with both sides because per my oath of enlistment I will support and defend the constitution of the United States. Not the flag, not the national anthem but the freaking constitution. I respect people more for those that have served and protested injustice than those that have never learned what it's like to die and defend those rights.

Their first amendment right is the right to free speech. You have protected against the infringement of that right with your oath. Can you explain what you mean by "Not the flag, not the national anthem, but the freaking constitution" ?

Sorry if I wasn't completely clear. By the thick skin I was meaning on both sides. The protester if you felt the need to draw attention to yourself and are not willing to accept the critism that is due to come both the horrendous and the supportive and then maybe you shouldn't be on social media. I ain't saying the horrendous is acceptable but during any protest that is what will come out and justify your cause all that much more.

On the flip side the offended. To stoop to that such of a level to protest the protester in a non peaceful manner just reinforces the original protesters ideals and beliefs. We live in a world that is as diverse in beliefs as we are in conflict will always arise no matter what we do.

As for the comment about the flag and anthem. Those are just symbols that Americans use as rallying points. But the consitution is what binds us as Americans. That document is our rights it is our laws and its living. We can add and take away from it if true injustices are being performed.

• Fire 1

How about if we go to a football game in a football stadium, we just have football?

If anybody else has anything that they want to share during the national anthem, rent their own stadium and hire their own band.

Yeah, that's sort of the way I feel. I'd just as soon keep the political statements off the sidelineeven the statements I happen to agree with from players I respect. OTOH, 1st Amendment. So I guess players have the right to speak or make a statement. To be honest I wish the media, and fans, weren't making such a big deal of this. It will just encourage others to follow suit. And it'll be a distraction.

But it's a public forum, just like Facebook "insert sarcasm"
Except that stadium and the band are paid for and supported by public funds. Even the NFL can't claim their stadiums are paid for by their business.

So what does that have to do with the reasonable expectation that we came to see football players play football during a football game in a football stadium, and expect nothing more, nothing less.

As for the comment about the flag and anthem. Those are just symbols that Americans use as rallying points. But the consitution is what binds us as Americans. That document is our rights it is our laws and its living. We can add and take away from it if true injustices are being performed.

I gotcha, thanks for the explanation.