Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

When speaking about Native Americans, though, there is a certain real travesty still taking place to this day; I read somewhere that Native Americans cannot buy the land they live on in the reservation. To me, that is just wrong.

Interesting turn of perspective and I appreciate it. Here is what you are talking about:

The tribe I belong to, the Rosebud Sioux Tribe of South Dakota, was 'given' an area of land, sort of. First, we were granted the Black Hills in South Dakota by treaty, our ancestral homeland at the time. When gold was discovered there we were run off to the Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations. There was a neat little 'freeway' between the reservations to allow the gold hunters access to the Black Hills which were originally promised to us.

Now, when the reservations were started there were concerns about Indians selling their land irresponsibly or losing them in some other fashion. End result was the US government decided these lands could not be sold or partitioned. BUT, the heirs would all retain their rights to the land. Now, 5-8 generations on, I am the owner of an undefined few hundred acres somewhere in southern South Dakota, along with 1200 or so relatives, that none of us can find or do anything with. The US government continues to lease this out and sen us checks for about 20 dollars per year.

I'd rather have the Black Hills which were ours by treaty, even if they weren't in my name. In the tribe's name would be fine.

Apologies for the history lesson.

GBR

• Fire 3

There's other ways to bring to everyone's attention your cause.

I lost a cousin in Iraq, my grandfather was wounded fighting the Nazi's in Europe and would live the rest of his life in constant pain, for that flag, for this "oppressive" nation.

The anthem is a moment to respect and remember the fallen, a time to say thank you,a time to be humbled, before we enjoy a game or entertainment.

I don't want to see these kids kicked off the team, but i've lost all respect for them. You don't get respect for your cause by being disrespectful. And that is why their argument falls on deaf ears.

You have no idea what their argument is and you've decided you don't care because they don't act the way you want them to act. Hopefully their message opens some minds and we can fix the problems with this country.

• Fire 3

When speaking about Native Americans, though, there is a certain real travesty still taking place to this day; I read somewhere that Native Americans cannot buy the land they live on in the reservation. To me, that is just wrong.

No one said this wasn't wrong.

Just a question, is it acceptable for a native American to call a random stranger a "bitch" in his first encounter?

Would it be okay for a player to burn a flag right before kickoff?

Yes, it would. Provided the player followed the law and got the permits from the city of Lincoln and the school and whoever else might be required to issue a permit. In fact, it would be admirable. That flag is an ever-changing piece of CLOTH that holds no meaning except what people attach to it. I am a native american, a member of an Indian Tribe, the Rosebud Sioux of South Dakota. That flag is a symbol of repression and conquest, of ill deeds and immoral behavior, murder of children and elders. That flag represents the unwelcome conquest of nations and tribes from the East Coast to Hawaii.

You stand there in your 'sacred ground' of worship for the US Government and tell me I am wrong. My people live on a reservation in South Dakota and are faced with 90% alcoholism, universal poverty, an unemployment rate of 80% and an average life span of 48. You tell me, you stupid son of a bitch. Is that flag sacred? It killed millions, and the survivors of that massacre in the 1800s and 1900s are still among you. How sacred is that damn piece of cloth? Go to Whiteclay Nebraska and plead your sorry-ass case to a bunch of drunk Indians who hate you.

I fought for that damn flag. And I tell you. it is worth the white blood spilled in its name. But it takes no consideration for MY people or the other races that died to preserve the rights you have. We are many and we are invisible. Our contribution has been, will be forgotten.

The nazis would most likely have exterminated the remaining native population had the white devil not turned Omaha beach red with their blood to protect said native Americans.

Also, and maybe this is just my crazy coming out, but if I'm an alcoholic, blaming someone else for my excessive consumption of alcohol doesn't help much...

Not your crazy, your ignorance.

So explain to my ignorant self why it's the American flag's fault that, as Flood put it, 90% of Native Americans struggle with alcoholism.

To explain to your ignorant self: You latched onto one small piece of my statement, the least part of it actually.

There is no fault with the flag. But the flag means nothing more, either. It is simply a symbol and is worth what you care to put into it. This has nothing to do with me, and I was wrong for inserting myself into it and apologize for doing so. My main point was that racism is all around you, even if you do not see it. The words, actions, and statements of our Husker athletes has value even if you cannot or refuse to see it.

Do Not Dismiss It.

Your experience is not universal. That was my only point and I made it poorly by trying to show the racism against natives in Nebraska. I will not mention that again except to answer any questions people might have.

This is about MRI and the other students. Their cause, I believe, is just and honest. Please at least try to give them the benefit of the doubt. Coach Riley is a good man and would not suffer people with ill formed or foolish and untenable ideas.

• Fire 3

Just a question, is it acceptable for a native American to call a random stranger a "bitch" in his first encounter?

Did I call you or someone else a 'bitch'? I may have said that about your mother, but just to make an angry point. Still, if so, I apologize profusely and profoundly. I must have been extremely angry. That is quite unusual and I do sincerely apologize. I will try to do better.

• Fire 1

I get what people are trying to achieve now with anthem protests, but why were they started?

I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color- Colin Kaepernick

He expressed here that the country as a whole is oppressing black people. Not that there are a few racist individuals out there. That the country is the reason why there are racist thoughts. The country with a black, and soon maybe female, president, is racist. You cannot generalize a country based on a minority of people, and that is what anthem protestors are doing.

For all we know, Kaepernick may have just done this for personal attention because he is not a starter anymore. Judging by his past history, that could very well be the case.

• Fire 1

Zoogs, do you see my point?

There's always going to be a whole lot of unfortunate out here on the internet.

It's tough, it's sometimes depressing, but there's also a lot of good here to focus on. For all the heated words exchanged, I think there's been a fairly remarkable (to me, that's been a pleasant surprise) amount of common ground we see here among Husker fans. So let's hang onto that! :)

My thoughts on these protests haven't changed since Colin started with it. I thought he articulated his reasons very well. If we take pride in American ideals, and we see this going on in our world today around us, then it follows that we should question it when we're asked to simply show pride. Demanded obeisance perpetuates the determined indifference that is at the root of this poison. If all you get is that he thinks everybody's a racist, I think you've missed the point.

Did I call you or someone else a 'bitch'? I may have said that about your mother, but just to make an angry point. Still, if so, I apologize profusely and profoundly. I must have been extremely angry. That is quite unusual and I do sincerely apologize. I will try to do better.

Do you have turrets?

Thanks for telling me where you live, you know, just in case i want to come shake your hand.

Zoogs, do you see my point?

There's always going to be a whole lot of unfortunate out here on the internet.

It's tough, it's sometimes depressing, but there's also a lot of good here to focus on. For all the heated words exchanged, I think there's been a fairly remarkable (to me, that's been a pleasant surprise) amount of common ground we see here among Husker fans. So let's hang onto that! :)

Agree. I actually just enjoy debating this. No one is actually wrong. Of all 12 pages of this thread it's been pretty much the same things said over and over. Either you completely disagree, completely agree, or understand that both sides are allowed to have a different opinion and neither is wrong. I'm glad hank bounds made a statement today because that is really the end all be all as far as Nebraska football is concerned.

Play ball!

Would it be okay for a player to burn a flag right before kickoff?

Yes, it would. Provided the player followed the law and got the permits from the city of Lincoln and the school and whoever else might be required to issue a permit. In fact, it would be admirable. That flag is an ever-changing piece of CLOTH that holds no meaning except what people attach to it. I am a native american, a member of an Indian Tribe, the Rosebud Sioux of South Dakota. That flag is a symbol of repression and conquest, of ill deeds and immoral behavior, murder of children and elders. That flag represents the unwelcome conquest of nations and tribes from the East Coast to Hawaii.

You stand there in your 'sacred ground' of worship for the US Government and tell me I am wrong. My people live on a reservation in South Dakota and are faced with 90% alcoholism, universal poverty, an unemployment rate of 80% and an average life span of 48. You tell me, you stupid son of a bitch. Is that flag sacred? It killed millions, and the survivors of that massacre in the 1800s and 1900s are still among you. How sacred is that damn piece of cloth? Go to Whiteclay Nebraska and plead your sorry-ass case to a bunch of drunk Indians who hate you.

I fought for that damn flag. And I tell you. it is worth the white blood spilled in its name. But it takes no consideration for MY people or the other races that died to preserve the rights you have. We are many and we are invisible. Our contribution has been, will be forgotten.

The nazis would most likely have exterminated the remaining native population had the white devil not turned Omaha beach red with their blood to protect said native Americans.

Also, and maybe this is just my crazy coming out, but if I'm an alcoholic, blaming someone else for my excessive consumption of alcohol doesn't help much...

Not your crazy, your ignorance.

So explain to my ignorant self why it's the American flag's fault that, as Flood put it, 90% of Native Americans struggle with alcoholism.

Many American Indian communities are impoverished, with some tribes reporting unemployment as high as 85%. Existing jobs are found mainly within the tribal government, Bureau of Indian Affairs, state social services, the school systems, and the Indian Health Service (IHS) Hospital. Additionally, years of failed government policies have left reservation economies with limited economic opportunity. The government placed reservations in areas away from fertile land, population centers, water supplies and other vital resources, compounding economic challenges with geographic isolation.

http://indianyouth.org/american-indian-life/poverty-cycle

Maybe if we had treated them better, alcoholism wouldn't be so rampant.

Do you have turrets?

Thanks for telling me where you live, you know, just in case i want to come shake your hand.

I did have turrets. But I sold the castle in France and the turrets were sold with it.

I re-read my posts, and I do sincerely apologize. It can be difficult sometimes. Living in Florida now, very few people think I am Native American. Instead of Sioux, they all think I am Mexican or Puerto Rican.

The word you were looking for is Tourette Syndrome. I do not think I have it, but my wife and son might vehemently disagree. They hear enough cussing from me that I wouldn't be surprised. Mostly when that SON OF A BITCH won't do the DAMN DISHES.

Apologies and thanks.

I hope something good comes of all this.

• Fire 3

Do you have turrets?

I did have turrets. But I sold the castle in France and the turrets were sold with it.

I re-read my posts, and I do sincerely apologize. It can be difficult sometimes. Living in Florida now, very few people think I am Native American. Instead of Sioux, they all think I am Mexican or Puerto Rican.

The word you were looking for is Tourette Syndrome. I do not think I have it, but my wife and son might vehemently disagree. They hear enough cussing from me that I wouldn't be surprised. Mostly when that SON OF A BITCH won't do the DAMN DISHES.

Apologies and thanks.

I hope something good comes of all this.

Thank you for the spelling correction. Yes Tourettes is what I meant. I meant to say I think you have Tourettes. Or split personality disorder. Or an alcohol problem. Idk, maybe you said that