Huskers top running QBs of all time. Who ya got?

NUance

Frazier

Crouch

Martinez

Newcombe

Frost

Lord

Gdowski

Gill

Tommy/Steve Taylor

Is this in order? Gerry Gdowski was a fine QB. If we're limiting it to *running* quarterbacks like the title says, he's not remotely close to Turner Gill. Gill is top five, no question.

Gdowski is more in the mold of David Humm and Zac Taylor. He was a Tom Osborne QB so he had to run, but that was not his forte, and he was not better at it than Gill, Steve Taylor or Tommy Armstrong.

To be considered a good option QB, the abiltiy to run and stay healty is paramont! Martinez could run but fell victum to in the injury bug. Sorta what worries me about armstrong but i will say that tommy is very strong willed (tuff) you may have to drag him off the field and chain him to a good post to keep him from going back in. last years purdue game is very fresh in his mind. to me, that was the day, that tommy decided to become a QB.

Frazier

Crouch

Martinez

Newcombe

Frost

Lord

Gdowski

Gill

Tommy/Steve Taylor

Is this in order? Gerry Gdowski was a fine QB. If we're limiting it to *running* quarterbacks like the title says, he's not remotely close to Turner Gill. Gill is top five, no question.

Gdowski is more in the mold of David Humm and Zac Taylor. He was a Tom Osborne QB so he had to run, but that was not his forte, and he was not better at it than Gill, Steve Taylor or Tommy Armstrong.

I call BS on saying Gdowski was in the mold of Humm or Zac Taylor. The dude ran for 925 yards as senior with a 7.9 YPC. He won numerous state track medals as a high schooler and was plenty fast at Nebraska.
  • Fire 1

Gdowski is more in the mold of David Humm and Zac Taylor. He was a Tom Osborne QB so he had to run, but that was not his forte

Actually, running was his forte:

"He competed on three Class A State Championship track teams where he earned two All-Class Gold Medals as a freshman, two more as a sophomore and four as a junior, the first athlete to accomplish this feat in nearly 50 years."

• Fire 1

He only ran the ball 112 times, though. Far too small of a sample size to make his YPC statistically significant in this discussion.

That's like saying we don't know if Secretariat was a good race horse because he ran only 21 races.

Most who watched Gdowski run and pass would say it was a mistake to have had Taylor starting in front of him. As I said before, the KFAB announcers even said it on the air during his Senior year.

• Fire 1

He only ran the ball 112 times, though. Far too small of a sample size to make his YPC statistically significant in this discussion.

That's like saying we don't know if Secretariat was a good race horse because he ran only 21 races.

Most who watched Gdowski run and pass would say it was a mistake to have had Taylor starting in front of him. As I said before, the KFAB announcers even said it on the air during his Senior year.

I don't know if Gdowski should have started over Taylor, and I was around at the time. Taylor was an All-Conference QB, so most didn't think he should be a backup. I think the big mistake Osborne made with Gerry was never redshirting him, and having him available to start only 1 season. Not many thought Gdowski was going to be as good as he was his 1 year as a starter.

• Fire 1

That's a terrible comparison.

Frazier

Crouch

Martinez

Newcombe

Frost

Lord

Gdowski

Gill

Tommy/Steve Taylor

I call BS on saying Gdowski was in the mold of Humm or Zac Taylor. The dude ran for 925 yards as senior with a 7.9 YPC. He won numerous state track medals as a high schooler and was plenty fast at Nebraska.

Taylor Martinez left school with all kinds of passing records. Are you going to tell me he was a passing quarterback?

Martinez and Gdowski passing and running stats, respectively, reflect the style of offense they were in, not their strengths as quarterbacks. Gdowski was more a passer than a runner, more Humm than Crouch.