Linebacker Play

Mavric

I was catching up on the Huskers N Side shows last night and ran across a segment that pretty much verifies what we are having our LBs do.

Riley was diagramming our defense and showing the run fits. He talks about all the defenders 'finding their gaps' so that the RB will get tackled in "whatever gap he takes." Also says guys have to "stay in their gaps."

So it's pretty obvious that our run defense it based on having a defensive player in each gap and that player is (basically) only responsible for that gap. That would mean LBs are not supposed to flow to the play but fill their gap. That would also expliain why they aren't making as many tackles as it perhaps seems like they should if they are more responsible for filling a gap than getting to the ball carrier.

Here's a link to that segment

I'm guessing we are running this scheme this year to help our young D-line out. I wonder if we don't free the backers up a little as the youngins mature or if this style of D stays.

I was catching up on the Huskers N Side shows last night and ran across a segment that pretty much verifies what we are having our LBs do.

Riley was diagramming our defense and showing the run fits. He talks about all the defenders 'finding their gaps' so that the RB will get tackled in "whatever gap he takes." Also says guys have to "stay in their gaps."

So it's pretty obvious that our run defense it based on having a defensive player in each gap and that player is (basically) only responsible for that gap. That would mean LBs are not supposed to flow to the play but fill their gap. That would also expliain why they aren't making as many tackles as it perhaps seems like they should if they are more responsible for filling a gap than getting to the ball carrier.

So what happens with play action - we fill the gabs, leaving the middle open for that slant pass, or an end a round run? It seems like we end up placing a lot of pressure on Gerry and others to move to the ball quickly in the absence of the LB. Faking run up the middle can give just enough time for receivers to get open when the safeties have responsibilities for the run as well. Maybe someone can explain how we offset those challenges.

So what happens with play action - we fill the gabs, leaving the middle open for that slant pass, or an end a round run? It seems like we end up placing a lot of pressure on Gerry and others to move to the ball quickly in the absence of the LB. Faking run up the middle can give just enough time for receivers to get open when the safeties have responsibilities for the run as well. Maybe someone can explain how we offset those challenges.

We're pretty much betting that the other team can't regularly beat our DB's, and it's been a good bet so far.

Yep. And that's also why we give up a lot of easy passes in the flat. All teams have to do is play-action, run the outside receiver off and there's no one home because the LB sucks in on the run fake.

You can't take away everything. But I think we're limiting what our LBs can do. And those are usually your best play-makers.

Yep. And that's also why we give up a lot of easy passes in the flat. All teams have to do is play-action, run the outside receiver off and there's no one home because the LB sucks in on the run fake.

You can't take away everything. But I think we're limiting what our LBs can do. And those are usually your best play-makers.

But it's working so far. And while it exposes the DB's a bit more, it provides more help to the DL. And that's probably the right way to go with this team.

But it's working so far. And while it exposes the DB's a bit more, it provides more help to the DL. And that's probably the right way to go with this team.

I guess that depends on your definition of "working". We are #53 in passing yards allowed per game. That's better than last year but nothing special. Especially given the fact that we've played as many offenses that are among the worst 30 passing teams in the country as we have that are in the Top 50.

I guess that depends on your definition of "working". We are #53 in passing yards allowed per game. That's better than last year but nothing special. Especially given the fact that we've played as many offenses that are among the worst 30 passing teams in the country as we have that are in the Top 50.

We're #14 in scoring D and #6 in passes intercepted, so that's something. I'm not saying we're great, just that protecting the DL is probably better than protecting the DB's.

We're #14 in scoring D and #6 in passes intercepted, so that's something. I'm not saying we're great, just that protecting the DL is probably better than protecting the DB's.

I give our defense credit for playing well so far. But I think better teams will be able to exploit us more. As we saw Blough do in the first half last week.

I give our defense credit for playing well so far. But I think better teams will be able to exploit us more. As we saw Blough do in the first half last week.

Is there anyone on our schedule that can exploit our pass D? Even tOSU is weak in that regard.

This Wisc game I think will be determined in large part by the play of both sets of LBs - Wisc and NU. They lost their best to injury, so we will see how they respond - I think of their LBs as the strength and heart of their D. We need our LBs to stop the run and our DL to put pressure on the young QB setting up the DBs for interceptions and locking down receivers. The LB need to contain the run game and cover those middle range passes that might be more effective against our D. What LB team plays the best, their team wins the game.

Is there anyone on our schedule that can exploit our pass D? Even tOSU is weak in that regard.

We don't play great passing teams. But we play teams that have better talent and better coaching. You don't have to be great to exploit receivers that open. You have to be able to recognize where there are advantages to go there.