Question about Coach Riley

LJsurf41

Wondering if he is a man of faith? The more I read up on TO the more it appears his faith was the core of his life and shaped his philosophy dealing with student athletes/coaching. I believe this was instrumental in his success as a football coach. Wonder where MR is in the faith department? Not trying to stir the pot, just curious

Excerpt from:

http://www1.cbn.com/sports/tom-osborne%3A-faith%2C-football%2C-%26amp%3B-a-strong-foundation

Final question, after people have read this book what do you want them to take away with them for life application?

I think the basic theme behind it all is that no matter what role you are in that you do have a chance to serve. You can honor God with whatever circumstances you have been given. Maybe it is washing pots and pans, maybe it is carrying out the garbage, or maybe it is being a head football coach, but that is essentially what we are called to do -- to honor Him with how we serve other people. Hopefully, everybody can think about their role and how it applies to them.

• Fire 1

I mean in a football coach, I personally don't think faith really matters. What matters is working towards a successful football program.

faith is the number one key to success in anything in my opinion

Does that faith have to be Christian faith? No. But 100% faith that you will accomplish what you set out to do is vitally important and does involve means beyond human comprehension

Side note: I do believe a strong Christian faith can greatly help in developing the rare characteristic known as absolute belief.

• Fire 2

I mean in a football coach, I personally don't think faith really matters. What matters is working towards a successful football program.

Interesting. So being responsible for shaping/leading young men in athletics and college is irrelevant as long as the football program is successful? Do you believe that the leadership in the football program should have certain moral convictions having the responsibility they have?

• Fire 2

Interesting. So being responsible for shaping/leading young men in athletics and college is irrelevant as long as the football program is successful? Do you believe that the leadership in the football program should have certain moral convictions having the responsibility they have?

One does not have to be religious or believe in a higher being to show leadership, moral convictions, responsibility and lead men. One can have "faith in their abilities" and be successful without believing in god.

I do not know Mike Riley's beliefs, and honestly I don't need to. Success in my book is not just winning but mentoring young men and setting a good example for them, for our state etc. Riley has proven he is fit for this job, regardless of where he goes or doesn't go to worship on Sunday.

• Fire 9

One does not have to be religious or believe in a higher being to show leadership, moral convictions, responsibility and lead men. One can have "faith in their abilities" and be successful without believing in god.

I do not know Mike Riley's beliefs, and honestly I don't need to. Success in my book is not just winning but mentoring young men and setting a good example for them, for our state etc. Riley has proven he is fit for this job, regardless of where he goes or doesn't go to worship on Sunday.

So where does one develop and acquire moral convictions? Where does one acquire the discipline to adhere to these moral convictions and furthermore go out into the world and demonstrate them before others?

So where does one develop and acquire moral convictions? Where does one acquire the discipline to adhere to these moral convictions and furthermore go out into the world and demonstrate them before others?

parents, their community, and many other sources. Religion isn't the only thing teaching people to be good, sometimes people just want to be like other great people.
  • Fire 6

My parents, teachers and mentors instilled those things in me.

One doesn't have to believe in god to have discipline and live with the focus of doing good, being respectful of others etc. I can be motivated and want to do my best without having that be a direction from a higher being.

I appreciate that many people feel those things and motivations come directly from their religion. However, I think they are taught, and that we as humans hold each other accountable.

• Fire 5

parents, their community, and many other sources. Religion isn't the only thing teaching people to be good, sometimes people just want to be like other great people.

Well, I appreciate your opinion but disagree. Inherently having moral convictions isn't really human nature. The way I see it the minute we selected men who lacked strong faith to lead our program the program fell to shambles: both in the W/L column and in a spiritual sense (see lack of respect for the fan base, anger on the sidelines, poor recruiting, scandals etc..). The body follows the head so to speak. After some research it appears to me that MR is a man of FAITH...like TO and this more than anything else makes me confident in our future as a football team and most importantly the future of the young men on this team and the men/women on the staff. MR seems to have his priorities in order:

1. God

2. Family

3. Everything else....

And we are seeing the fruit of that on/off the field. Just like TO.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/01/one_last_oregon_state_football.html

Well, I appreciate your opinion but disagree. Inherently having moral convictions isn't really human nature. The way I see it the minute we selected men who lacked strong faith to lead our program the program fell to shambles: both in the W/L column and in a spiritual sense (see lack of respect for the fan base, anger on the sidelines, poor recruiting, scandals etc..). The body follows the head so to speak. After some research it appears to me that MR is a man of FAITH...like TO and this more than anything else makes me confident in our future as a football team and most importantly the future of the young men on this team and the men/women on the staff. MR seems to have his priorities in order:

1. God

2. Family

3. Everything else....

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/01/one_last_oregon_state_football.html

Sorry dude but you are wrong. I am Christian and I know plenty of great people who aren't. Do I encourage them to be? Yes, but there have been many great people in History who didn't believe Jesus was their savior. Doesn't mean we shouldn't discount what they did or meant, we can still approach all people regardless with their belief with love and understanding.

Edit:bit of a bone headed post. We are on the same side here. I apologize

• Fire 1

1. God

2. Family

3. Everything else....

And I will disagree with you (with respect)

The minute we elected men who lacked CHARACTER and MORALS the program fell to shambles. Bo's religious beliefs/spiritual sense may very well be high. Just as one doesn't have to believe in god to have morals, respect etc. I think one can have a very strong belief in god and NOT have those things. They don't always align all nicey nice, and don't always goes hand in hand. Priests have strong faith, so how can you explain the pedophilia and crimes they've committed?

1. God

2. Family

3. Everything else....

Sorry dude but you are wrong. I am Christian and I know plenty of great people who aren't. Do I encourage them to be? Yes, but thereven have been many great people in History who didn't believe Jesus was their savior. Doesn't mean we shouldn't discount what they did or meant, we can still approach all people regardless with their belief with love and understanding.

Edit:bit of a bone headed post. We are on the same side here. I apologize

Then you are happy with the results of the last say...19 years of our program on and off the field? I respect other's beliefs and in no way is it possible for me to make another's convictions my own, that is God's job. But I will ask relevant questions and be forthright when it comes to what I believe. Furthermore I will be transparent in my own walk and yep Romans 13 v 10 all the way: loving of others. Don't think this post had anything unloving in it... My point is that everyone wants to tout TO's success and I get the impression that people may lose track of what really made him successful: his FAITH above all else. It is evident in everything he did as a coach, mentor, husband, father etc... This has been an exercise in finding a pattern in our program leadership and where we fell off. I asked other's opinion and respond. It appears we are heading in the right direction though. More will be revealed.

1. God

2. Family

3. Everything else....

And I will disagree with you (with respect)

The minute we elected men who lacked CHARACTER and MORALS the program fell to shambles. Bo's religious beliefs/spiritual sense may very well be high. Just as one doesn't have to believe in god to have morals, respect etc. I think one can have a very strong belief in god and NOT have those things. They don't always align all nicey nice, and don't always goes hand in hand. Priests have strong faith, so how can you explain the pedophilia and crimes they've committed?

Bo was more "striving" than "abiding" the way I see it and it is sad. Showing up on Sunday and saying "I'm Christian" or "I'm Catholic" is not enough: we have to live it. Bo is not a bad person, he just fell short. Like MR says: "God has a plan". Radical when you can actually live that.