Future of the dual threat QB at NU

Interesting read talking about the future of the offensive identity the next few years. I didn't realized we have offered two of the top rated dual threats QB's for the class of 2018..... I like the idea of continuing to try and get dual threat QB's in. Makes the offense so much harder to stop and plan for IMO. Thoughts?

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-offensive-coordinator-danny-langsdorfs-evolving-philosophy-on-the-future-of-the-nebraska-quarterback

• Fire 1

NU should be going after more dual-threat QB's. They make offenses much more dynamic and easier to attack the defense. Without a mobile QB, the defenses have a 1 person advtantage. I think Langsdorf and Riley are seeing how incorporating a dual-threat QB in this year's offense opens up so many areas of the offense. It makes running with the RB's easier and it opens up windows in the passing game. I am not a fan of QB's who can only attack a defense with the passing game. I applaud the coaches for the possible change in QB philosophy.

They don't want to have a group of QBs who are all from the same mold.

It's nice to have options. Even though they are "dual-threats", they have stated many times they want a QB who can throw first and, if he can run, it's a nice bonus.

I'd take a pass first guy like Deshaun Watson......

What's your point?

NU should be going after more dual-threat QB's. They make offenses much more dynamic and easier to attack the defense. Without a mobile QB, the defenses have a 1 person advtantage. I think Langsdorf and Riley are seeing how incorporating a dual-threat QB in this year's offense opens up so many areas of the offense. It makes running with the RB's easier and it opens up windows in the passing game. I am not a fan of QB's who can only attack a defense with the passing game. I applaud the coaches for the possible change in QB philosophy.

It makes me more optimistic about this staff. So far, IMHO, what the staff was saying in the spring and fall hasn't been coach speak. They've pretty much done what they have said. It speaks volumes about Riley looking at a dual threat guy when his whole career coaching he's never had one until now.

It's nice to have options. Even though they are "dual-threats", they have stated many times they want a QB who can throw first and, if he can run, it's a nice bonus.

What's your point?

He's the poster boy for dual threat......he makes all of the NFL throws.......he can run........I'm agreeing that a dual threat guy can be pass first. He's a phenomenal QB.

What's your point?

He's the poster boy for dual threat......he makes all of the NFL throws.......he can run........I'm agreeing that a dual threat guy can be pass first. He's a phenomenal QB.

He's also a very unique talent. I mean, yeah, if we could recruit a Deshaun Watson every year, sign me up.

I think he will do very well in the league. Not as sturdy as Winston, but I think if he gets drafted into the right system for him, he could thrive.

It makes me more optimistic about this staff. So far, IMHO, what the staff was saying in the spring and fall hasn't been coach speak. They've pretty much done what they have said. It speaks volumes about Riley looking at a dual threat guy when his whole career coaching he's never had one until now.
It does show me that the coaching staff is willing to look into something that is new for them, even if they are late to the party compared to the rest of college football.

Honestly I think the success for Armstrong this year has shown Langsdorf what it can be like to fully utilize a dual-threat QB and not force him to be a pocket QB at all times. Sometimes coaches want to make things harder on themselves to show how smart they are to overcome those obstacles.

I want a QB who can pass really well, ...and scrambling/running ability would be a bonus. Usually "dual threat" refers to a lousy passer. I'm also tired of getting good running quarterbacks and having them injured most of the season.....especially now that we're in the BIG that is full of 300 pound guys whose main talent is falling on people.

• Fire 2

I want a QB who can pass really well, ...and scrambling/running ability would be a bonus. Usually "dual threat" refers to a lousy passer. I'm also tired of getting good running quarterbacks and having them injured most of the season.....especially now that we're in the BIG that is full of 300 pound guys whose main talent is falling on people.

The myth that a dual threat QB can't be a good passer is just that a myth. There are dual threat QB's that are great passers and runners all over college football. Having a QB that is no threat to run severely hampers the effectiveness of the offense.

I'm all for a dual-threat, but the guy has got to be a QB first. He has to be able to operate a passing offense and complete throws to other playmakers. Then if he can run too it is a bonus, like you say: "a one-person advantage." But those guys are hard to recruit, because the good ones? Everybody wants them. We talk about "dual threat" QBs at NU, but what we've really had here are runners who could throw a little bit. I have been very frustrated prior to Riley/Langsdorf because we've been almost one-dimensional without an efficient passing offense. So I like that Langsdorf made this point as well.

• Fire 2

I'm all for a dual-threat, but the guy has got to be a QB first. He has to be able to operate a passing offense and complete throws to other playmakers. Then if he can run too it is a bonus, like you say: "a one-person advantage." But those guys are hard to recruit, because the good ones? Everybody wants them. We talk about "dual threat" QBs at NU, but what we've really had here are runners who could throw a little bit. I have been very frustrated prior to Riley/Langsdorf because we've been almost one-dimensional without an efficient passing offense. So I like that Langsdorf made this point as well.

Yes, everyone wants the best dual-threat QB's, but that doesn't mean NU shouldn't be trying to recruit and use them. When you have a QB that is no threat to run, it makes the offense so much harder to be effective. Yes, the QB needs to be an efficient passer, but it's easier to do that when he's also an effective runner.

• Fire 1