Future of the dual threat QB at NU

POB, while a pro style guy, ran for almost 640 yards his last year in HS. Had 143 carries and averaged 4.5/carry and a 65% completion rate..... (not sure how many of those were scrambles vs designed runs)

Seems that he is capable of being "dual threat" in that he can do some designed runs. I'm not saying zone read and option, but could do draws, PA and still have some run/pass options....

Langs has evolved quite a bit IMO, from last year to this. I can't imagine that he and Riley after seeing the success first hand of a run threat QB would abandon that in the future. If we continue to have enough designed runs and/or the RPO game we should be able to continue to have this scheme evolve. I am intrigued at the thought of POB in the run game.....

I am not sold on POB in the QB run game. He's a tall, lumbering runner who was able to gain yards in high school through "surprise" and because he's so much bigger than the defenders he was going against. He won't be a huge threat in the QB run game.
I wouldn't call it surprise when he ran for 600+ yards his junior year as well. Also he's the same size as Dak Prescott.
Dak is 6'2" and 225 lbs in the NFL. That's a thick dude who was able to use power and quickness to be a good runner.

POB is 6'3" or 6'4" and 230 lbs as a freshman. To me that's a guy who is tall and lumbering, and who will probably put on more weight to get to 235-240. A guy at that size can be a run a few times a game, but not a guy who's going to break off long runs and scare a defense.

I don't see how 2 inches and 5 pounds suddenly would make POB an ineffective runner. Miss. St. played last night and their QB is 6'5 230 and he has 430 yards rushing on the season.

It's so hard to tell with high school quarterbacks. A HS coach is always tempted to take his best athlete and make him quarterback. A guy who could play linebacker or safety or receiver or straight up running back. Dude is usually a natural leader and can throw the ball to wide open high school receivers, but it's such a jump to the next level. And then an even larger jump to the NFL. The Pass First/Run Second guys can make that transition, but if you have pro aspirations you gotta be careful declaring yourself dual threat.

Sam McKewon was on TBL today saying that if it weren't for Tommy this past week, the offense could have looked real ugly. His quote was "If they had Tanner Lee or Patrick O'Brien back there, I don't think you would like what you'd see. I just don't think the line is good enough, and the wide receiving crew they put out there against Indiana...they were banged up, and they were missing players. So, I think they were fortunate to have Tommy (even with his poor results in the game), but if he's not there, and the threat of his running is not present, I'm not sure they gain 200 yards against Indiana."

The above quote is why I think a good/great, dual-threat QB is something that the coaches should continue to recruit. Just the mere threat of a QB that can run opens up the offense and makes up for poor offensive line play.

I'm of totally different opinion

Tommy's not the best passer and everyone knows it. What generates success for him in the air is a legit thread with his legs. now, everyone has talked about how Tommy is bugged by an ankle and how it was obvious saturday. it showed with him running. it showed with him throwing. And it showed with Indiana's defensive scheme. They knew it.

The other thing about this whole dual thread talk that I'm over is this notion that if youre a 6-4, 220 pound white qb, listed in the pro-style link of rivals, you must run a 5.6 40 and cant move at all. The whole two category thing for qb's is beyond old. All qb's are athletes now. They can call move around. Sure, some are better than others. Tommy Armstrong is a better runner than what Gebbia and O'Brian will be. Yes. But that has to quit being interpretted as Gebbia and O'Brian cant run or move at all. These guys can move plenty good enough. No. that doesnt mean an offense will be designed around read options, RPO's and making sure you get your qb 15 designed carries a game. but it also doesnt mean that when the pocket gets dirty and the pressure comes, it's an automatic sack. And that the qb run game will be a zero threat. And if you have a qb with much better mechanics and ability to mentally process things than Tommy, you get the give and take deal.

Why do we still categorize qb's in two categories? Are there two categories for running backs? (speed and power), wr's (speed and size or speed and possession), linebackers (run stoppers, pass coverage), kickers (distance, accuracy)

it's all garbage. And i dont know why. If youre good qb youre a good qb. Tommy's a pretty good qb. But here's the deal, with another qb that we dont have to rely so much on his running ability cuz theyre able to do other things better, is probably not limping into Bloomington, and opens things up from an offensive standpoint in other ways.

What we saw with a run first/pass 2nd qb saturday is that when that running ability isnt 100%, youve got problems. And Not being 100% is much more a probability to begin with.

• Fire 1

I'm of totally different opinion

Tommy's not the best passer and everyone knows it. What generates success for him in the air is a legit thread with his legs. now, everyone has talked about how Tommy is bugged by an ankle and how it was obvious saturday. it showed with him running. it showed with him throwing. And it showed with Indiana's defensive scheme. They knew it.

The other thing about this whole dual thread talk that I'm over is this notion that if youre a 6-4, 220 pound white qb, listed in the pro-style link of rivals, you must run a 5.6 40 and cant move at all. The whole two category thing for qb's is beyond old. All qb's are athletes now. They can call move around. Sure, some are better than others. Tommy Armstrong is a better runner than what Gebbia and O'Brian will be. Yes. But that has to quit being interpretted as Gebbia and O'Brian cant run or move at all. These guys can move plenty good enough. No. that doesnt mean an offense will be designed around read options, RPO's and making sure you get your qb 15 designed carries a game. but it also doesnt mean that when the pocket gets dirty and the pressure comes, it's an automatic sack. And that the qb run game will be a zero threat. And if you have a qb with much better mechanics and ability to mentally process things than Tommy, you get the give and take deal.

Why do we still categorize qb's in two categories? Are there two categories for running backs? (speed and power), wr's (speed and size or speed and possession), linebackers (run stoppers, pass coverage), kickers (distance, accuracy)

it's all garbage. And i dont know why. If youre good qb youre a good qb. Tommy's a pretty good qb. But here's the deal, with another qb that we dont have to rely so much on his running ability cuz theyre able to do other things better, is probably not limping into Bloomington, and opens things up from an offensive standpoint in other ways.

What we saw with a run first/pass 2nd qb saturday is that when that running ability isnt 100%, youve got problems. And Not being 100% is much more a probability to begin with.

exactly. Everybody has mobility. If you don't you aren't a good quarterback plain and simple. Sometimes the runningback playing quarterback is a liability. A quarterback with good accuracy and great football iq who distributes the ball to our weapons and keeps turnovers low and just makes smart plays would be a God send when TA is out there YOLO bombing it all over the place. Sometimes you want a quarterback who is going to make the right play not a guy who is always gonna go for the big play. Big play guy can be great when he makes the big plays, but the coin can flip really fast and all of the sudden you have 2 turnovers because you tried to do top much.
  • Fire 1