Second Quarter vs. Fourth Quarter

Mavric

You'd have to think that conditioning has something to do with this. It would explain why our running game in particular is more effective in the fourth quarter. :dunno:

Conditioning certainly helps, but also I would think that NU would have deeper and more talented rosters than every other team (Oregon may be an exception) that they have played so far. At some point that deeper roster and more talent is going to take control of the game physically.

That might have something to do with it. But if it was simply a matter of having more talent wouldn't we do better in quarters 1 through 3 as well?

A pure talent advantage isn't going to take advantage right away, plus it's a combination overall roster depth. I'm not trying to knock the conditioning coach, because I think Phillipp has done a great job changing the body types. But, eventually, the team with more talent is usually going to win out.

You'd have to think that conditioning has something to do with this. It would explain why our running game in particular is more effective in the fourth quarter. :dunno:

Conditioning certainly helps, but also I would think that NU would have deeper and more talented rosters than every other team (Oregon may be an exception) that they have played so far. At some point that deeper roster and more talent is going to take control of the game physically.

I think this is most of it. We simply have more and better athletes than every team we've played this year. Eventually the better talent and depth simply wears the other team out.

Not to discount other factors, but I think that is the major one.

I think this is most of it. We simply have more and better athletes than every team we've played this year. Eventually the better talent and depth simply wears the other team out.

Not to discount other factors, but I think that is the major one.

I give credit to Riley for finally realizing that NU should be able to beat the weaker teams on the schedule this way. This is an advantage that Riley didn't have at Oregon State, and it took a year for him to realize that it's part of the advantage of coaching at Nebraska.

Could it be "extending" a lead vs "preserving" a lead?

NU has lead every game except Oregon going into the second quarter and have only allowed two teams to score in the first quarter. I think Langs gets more aggressive under the circumstances and goes for the kill before half.

On the other hand, NU has also led every game except Illinois (which we took the lead within the first 3 minutes of the fourth) going into the fourth. This is win time. Langsdorf lets the O smash their way to preserving the win.

Could it be "extending" a lead vs "preserving" a lead?

NU has lead every game except Oregon going into the second quarter and have only allowed two teams to score in the first quarter. I think Langs gets more aggressive under the circumstances and goes for the kill before half.

On the other hand, NU has also led every game except Illinois (which we took the lead within the first 3 minutes of the fourth) going into the fourth. This is win time. Langsdorf lets the O smash their way to preserving the win.

That could be. But if that's what we're doing in the second quarter we apparently need to reevaluate.

Here you go - not sure why they don't have yards

In the 2nd Quarter:

#104 in scoring (5.3 ppg)

#64 in Time of Possession (49.13%)

In the 4th Quarter:

#2 in scoring (14.0)

#2 in TOP (66.52%)

Pretty much sums up what I've been saying for quite awhile. Running the ball wins games.

Like when it was 3 and 9 almost every time because we ran twice - sure wish we would have run on third down so we could have punted and WON the game.....

• Fire 1

In the 2nd Quarter:

In the 4th Quarter:

#2 in scoring (14.0)

#2 in TOP (66.52%)

Pretty much sums up what I've been saying for quite awhile. Running the ball wins games.

Like when it was 3 and 9 almost every time because we ran twice - sure wish we would have run on third down so we could have punted and WON the game.....
gotta have more success on first down in the second quarter

In the 2nd Quarter:

In the 4th Quarter:

#2 in scoring (14.0)

#2 in TOP (66.52%)

You don understand I'm not opposed to throwing the ball right? But not as the bread and butter of our offense. Keep ignoring the numbers because they don't suit your preferred offense. Not hearing to many people begging to run Michigan States or Stanfords offenses right now. Know why? Because they lost their NFL caliber QB's and their teams are headed for .500 seasons or losing records. This is the reason people like myself or CM prefer a run based offense that can win games without a world beater at QB.