Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed

Beck is garbage. Look at what has happened to Cardale Jones and JT Barret under his watch as qb coach. Not simply a mechanics standpoint. I'm talkin from an overall quarterback performance point. Inconsistent. Failure to execute simple things. It's just that as more time goes by, the more i think that Martinez and Armstrong were kinda screwed over in the qb development category. Just my opinion.

• Fire 1

Beck is garbage. Look at what has happened to Cardale Jones and JT Barret under his watch as qb coach. Not simply a mechanics standpoint. I'm talkin from an overall quarterback performance point. Inconsistent. Failure to execute simple things. It's just that as more time goes by, the more i think that Martinez and Armstrong were kinda screwed over in the qb development category. Just my opinion.

Not just your opinion ;)

Not just your opinion ;)

just as in its just my opinion. not just my opinion.

What "happened" to Cardale Jones? He played three games in 2014, one great, one average, and one somewhere in the middle. Hardly enough of a sample size to have any clue as to what kind of quarterback he really is/was.

As far as JT Barrett, well...

qfZcA37.png

YwUe988.png

• Fire 1

Just watching the game landlord. it's too easy for me to pair Ohio St's (not just their qb's) regression on offense with the presence of Beck. I think their best games last year that came at the end of the season were due to Urban Meyer taking much more responsibility in the playcalling. Stats dont tell teh whole story. Ppl think Martinez and Armstrong are incredible qb's cuz of their numbers. I got hours of film that say otherwise.

People hate on Beck, but you don't get hired by Urban Meyer because you're buddies. Not at this level. I think Beck had and has great potential as a coordinator.

But to the topic at hand, everytime I want to bet against Vegas, I'm proved wrong. They don't light the place up with winners.

That said, NU has the pieces necessary to win. Losing Farmer hurts, though.

Just watching the game landlord. it's too easy for me to pair Ohio St's (not just their qb's) regression on offense with the presence of Beck. I think their best games last year that came at the end of the season were due to Urban Meyer taking much more responsibility in the playcalling. Stats dont tell teh whole story. Ppl think Martinez and Armstrong are incredible qb's cuz of their numbers. I got hours of film that say otherwise.

The Buckeyes are really young so I am not going to blame JT too much because I think their offensive line play is the cause of concern. Also, Beck isn't 100% responsible for the play calling. That falls more on Ed Warinner and Urban obviously has some say in the matter. I have to assume that Ohio State would be better if they didn't lose Eli Apple, Vonn Bell, Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliot, Cardale Jones (JT's backup), Darron Lee, Jalin Marshall, Tyvis Powell, and Michael Thomas. All of those guys left early, rightfully so, and are on NFL rosters. That kind of experience is tough to replace.

After watching the Buckeyes the last 3 weeks, I am still surprised by this spread.

• Fire 1

Tommy's and Taylor's numbers are all career quantity marks. JT Barrett's numbers have remained remarkably consistent in terms of efficiency across his career. Maybe you're right, as I never watched JT Barrett a ton his freshman year, but he still seems like an incredible quarterback that sometimes struggles like anyone else to me.

To that point, Beck no longer calls any plays at OSU I don't believe, although he is still the QB coach.

• Fire 1

Beck factor in full effect in Columbus right now. I love Bennings desc of their offense. "My guy is better than your guy so im gonna throw it up so he can make a play. When that fails well use QB power".

Alla sudden Ohio st can score on anyone. I expect this to be just like the wisconsin game.

This is pretty much what is happening. They think they can out athlete every team, and they haven't been able to do this as much lately.

Look guys. i have a lot of disdain for Beck. Esp for his "who does have a good relationship with this fanbase" comments directly to the media. And I'm not a fan of the erratic, detail lacking offense he tried to use here. While it put up good numbers at times, it was inconsistent and often just didnt make any sense. And you guys bringing facts into this about how he's not that bad isnt helping my case any, damn it. I'm under the presumption that the only reason he got that job is just due to one ohio guy throwing an ohio buddy a bone. So just let me be.

What comment are you talking about?

Prior to the 2013 Iowa game which was Taylor Martinez's senior day, Beck was asked about Taylor's relationship with the fanbase. His exact words were "who does have a good relationship with this fanbase?". There's audio. There's video.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/as-taylor-martinez-s-time-as-a-husker-dwindles-coaches/article_044dccc1-13cc-53d3-984e-ed4c40cf9f19.html

This is why I'm glad that frickin garbage is gone. Him and that worthless f'ing pelini. These guys cant handle the pressure and bullsh#t that comes along with coaching football for 6-7 figures. You have to have the temperment to keep out the bs and get your players only pay attn to the 75% positive. Bo, and apparently Beck, let in the negative bullsh#t and caused a rift. It was real. So from this moment on I was anti Beck. I even still was good with Bo until the Michigan St game 2014, but was wishin Beck would just GTFO. And if you cant tell, I try to make up a lot of narratives to convince myself that he's a garbage coach. But I really truley believe Martinez and Armstrong were both screwed over by his management. Both in system and skill.

• Fire 1

What comment are you talking about?

Prior to the 2013 Iowa game which was Taylor Martinez's senior day, Beck was asked about Taylor's relationship with the fanbase. His exact words were "who does have a good relationship with this fanbase?". There's audio. There's video.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/as-taylor-martinez-s-time-as-a-husker-dwindles-coaches/article_044dccc1-13cc-53d3-984e-ed4c40cf9f19.html

This is why I'm glad that frickin garbage is gone. Him and that worthless f'ing pelini. These guys cant handle the pressure and bullsh#t that comes along with coaching football for 6-7 figures. You have to have the temperment to keep out the bs and get your players only pay attn to the 75% positive. Bo, and apparently Beck, let in the negative bullsh#t and caused a rift. It was real. So from this moment on I was anti Beck. I even still was good with Bo until the Michigan St game 2014, but was wishin Beck would just GTFO. And if you cant tell, I try to make up a lot of narratives to convince myself that he's a garbage coach. But I really truley believe Martinez and Armstrong were both screwed over by his management. Both in system and skill.

I'm going to entirely ignore your second paragraph, but thank you for the link. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the video (or at least the time in the video) where this question was asked. Do you happen to have a time stamp?

Personally, I think he's right in that a segment of Husker fans, particularly on social media and message boards, are completely reactive and overly critical toward players - he's right that if a player is performing to what a fan deems acceptable, that fan loves the player, and if not, the criticism is withering in many cases.

Martinez was a prime example of that - other than Jamal Lord, he may have been the most unfairly criticized QB in Nebraska history - by the end of 2013, the media and fans' criticism of the program were reaching a peak (remember all the rumors about how Bo had already been fired and they were just letting the string play out?).

I have no problem with people calling out fans and media regarding their behavior, even if they cast the language net wide, because I never felt like it was directed at me and many other fans.

A while back someone raised this point on this board, and I think he was spot on: many Husker fans feel like they should have their ass kissed by our coaches. More often than not, our fans deserved a kick, not a kiss, there.

ALL coaches feel that way about a faction of their fans. But here's the deal. All you do is hamstring yourself and your program by coming out with it. It's stupid. It shows exactly where your mindset is and generates unnecessary tension. f#*k them guys. They couldnt handle it. And Bo is stupid for acting like it's so much worse (or depending on the guy who would embrace possible extra attn, ahem) than any other place. Cuz it's not. The fact that we can come to a message board and discuss a players performance, and these guys get all butthurt over it shows exactly why theyre not here anymore. They had time to worry about a few negative fans but couldnt figure out how to stop a simple counter trap on a snowy november day. Right.

I GUARANTEE you, Mike Riley thinks to himself multiple times a days (some of these ppl are frickin nuts). But he knows being vocal about it would cause problems and only make things harder. he knows that harmony and filtering out the negative and only focusing on the positives of our fandom is good for the program. Bo and such were frickin morons for obviously playing it the other way.