Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed

we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

I think we are going to be really, really good next year (combined with the odd year favorable home schedule), and I don't think there is any way that Riley matches Bo's record in his 7 (wasn't it 7? 2008-14?) years. Forget more wins, I can't imagine he even matches it, especially with a 6-spot hung on the board last year. Do people think Riley's record will be better than Bo's? Wow...didn't even think that was a thing.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next year - we lose a lot of experience on D and obviously breaking in a freshman/transfer QB is going to be an adventure.

I didn't mean so much as a literal goal, but more the notion that fans would want Riley fired if goes 5 to 7 years without a CCG or BCS bowl, even if he goes .700+ between now and his 7th year.

Absolutely impossible.

You're right. I mean whatever they are calling the rose bowl, fiesta et al when they aren't playoff games.

I knew what you meant, just picking a bit. I believe those are now known as the New Year's Six.

There's one statement that ive used times before that perfectly defines the recruiting of the previous staff, which was ok, but it also wasnt good enough. Yes, they brought in some really good players.

We have talent on this team. But this is not an overly talented team. There are holes. There are depth issues.

What teams don't have holes and depth issues?

In the history of Husker teams, how many didn't have holes and depth issues, at least how people around here perceive it? I recall people recently talking about some national champion Husker team having 7+ walkons on the depth chart.

This Husker team has a current roster that's been consistently ranked around 20 to 25th in the nation, meaning we have tier 1 talent (but maybe not "tier 1 - elite" talent, like a Alabama or USC or a half dozen teams may have).

That should be enough to win a lot, if we have the right coaching.

I also don't see Riley or any other coach recruiting consistently better than that to Nebraska, at least not within the rules.

• Fire 1

Ha ha! The title of this thread is: "Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed." Don't we have any fondness? No fondness at all for any of them? Really? Okay, here's some.

Turner Gill. Could you ask for a better role model for young men to look up to? I mean, he was great at his job and got along well with everyoneplayers, other coaches, fans, everyone. Was there ever a controversy or scandal this guy was involved in? If so, it must have minor because I can't remember any. And it seems like he has surrounded himself with like minded staff members in his new gig at Liberty. If I had a high school aged son who was looking at small schools to play football for, I'd feel he was in good hands playing for Gill and his staff. :thumbs:

Turner Gill left the quarterback position in shambles for Callahan and Pelini when Nebraska tried to modernize the offense. Horrible. Just horrible.
"Modernize the offense"

You mean go backward on offense under Callahan?

Personally, I think Dailey was a good QB but a victim of some very tough circumstances.

And people forget that mike stunz was a reasonably highly rated QB coming out of HS.

we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

I think we are going to be really, really good next year (combined with the odd year favorable home schedule), and I don't think there is any way that Riley matches Bo's record in his 7 (wasn't it 7? 2008-14?) years. Forget more wins, I can't imagine he even matches it, especially with a 6-spot hung on the board last year. Do people think Riley's record will be better than Bo's? Wow...didn't even think that was a thing.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next year - we lose a lot of experience on D and obviously breaking in a freshman/transfer QB is going to be an adventure.

I didn't mean so much as a literal goal, but more the notion that fans would want Riley fired if goes 5 to 7 years without a CCG or BCS bowl, even if he goes .700+ between now and his 7th year.

Absolutely impossible.

You're right. I mean whatever they are calling the rose bowl, fiesta et al when they aren't playoff games.

I knew what you meant, just picking a bit. I believe those are now known as the New Year's Six.

Oh, I know - I didn't take your comment as a ding. Thanks for the info. Hard to keep track of the ever changing marketing.

I did find it interesting that in his first game without Pelini, Tim Beck ran a seriously revamped offense in the Holiday Bowl against USC. A very crisp, no-huddle offense that ran off 94 plays for 500+ yards and 42 points with one turnover and few penalties, and with a savvy & successful two-point conversion ready when the game was still on the line.

Defense gave up 45 points that day.

Discussions of the Husker offense really need to be tempered by our historically bad defensive outings the past few years.

• Fire 2

Ha ha! The title of this thread is: "Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed." Don't we have any fondness? No fondness at all for any of them? Really? Okay, here's some.

Turner Gill. Could you ask for a better role model for young men to look up to? I mean, he was great at his job and got along well with everyoneplayers, other coaches, fans, everyone. Was there ever a controversy or scandal this guy was involved in? If so, it must have minor because I can't remember any. And it seems like he has surrounded himself with like minded staff members in his new gig at Liberty. If I had a high school aged son who was looking at small schools to play football for, I'd feel he was in good hands playing for Gill and his staff. :thumbs:

Turner Gill left the quarterback position in shambles for Callahan and Pelini when Nebraska tried to modernize the offense. Horrible. Just horrible.
"Modernize the offense"

You mean go backward on offense under Callahan?

Personally, I think Dailey was a good QB but a victim of some very tough circumstances.

And people forget that mike stunz was a reasonably highly rated QB coming out of HS.

This was a smartass comment. I dont really believe that. i was hoping nuance would be the first to respond.

when you look at teh best of Bo's recruiting classes, or his last 2-3, there are a lot-A LOT- of misses and holes. I guess i just dont understand how you cant watch a Nebraska game, esp last year, and see there is a lack of talent at certain positions. Dont take my comments to the extreme. But they are in the middle. I'm just disagreeing with the all a sudden notion that this roster was left loaded for this new staff, like what Callahan did for Bo, in the raw talent categorry. Suh-fan above said the cupboard wasnt left bare. I agree. There were good players in key positions. it wasnt loaded either. That's all my point is. That it's somewhere in the middle. We have talent. But we're not an overly talented team. And I also believe this program is capable of recruiting at a much higher level than the last staff could, on a consistent basis.

I did find it interesting that in his first game without Pelini, Tim Beck ran a seriously revamped offense in the Holiday Bowl against USC. A very crisp, no-huddle offense that ran off 94 plays for 500+ yards and 42 points with one turnover and few penalties, and with a savvy & successful two-point conversion ready when the game was still on the line.

Defense gave up 45 points that day.

Discussions of the Husker offense really need to be tempered by our historically bad defensive outings the past few years.

You know. That's a really good point. And tommy played very well that night in a sling it all over the yard type of plan. I remember the discussion being that that's what Beck really wanted to do. But the one thing that seemed like the final proverbial dagger in that era was having 3rd and 2, and 4th and 2 and running 2 plays in a row where your best player, Ameer, doesnt get the ball. Those are the little obvious things that seemed to common in that time.

I know. Ive already admitted this. My disdain for Beck is pretty strong simply for his comments. it just seems that was the whole mantra. With all the ppl (myself included up to the bitter end) that had those guys' back through thick and thin and the criticism, they best they could do was focus on the negative? And generalize all of us into a pool of non-perspective idiots? That just did me in.

As far as the bad defensive performances go, it's just another one of them things where the numbers dont really tell the whole story. Neither side of the ball was fully to blame for those meltdown performances. We were a frickin turnover machine. You think back to games like the 2012 CCG. Wisconsin scored to open the game, we throw a pick six on first play and it's 14-0 2 minutes in. Then a couple plays later Martinez goes on his ridiculous scramble TD, the defense gets a 3 and out and we drive for a fg but still down 14-10. And jeebus, with all that happening, a game's worth of twists and turns, all in the matter a few minutes. That's the kind of frantic, erratic, crazy, detail-lacking football that I dont miss. It was far too common in those days.

Yeah. By no stretch is Beck a bad coach. He's also a great recruiter with TX connections. The Buckeyes take recruiting seriously.

He was? Once he became OC, he basically brought in a QB every year and called it a day.

That's pretty much what Langsdorf does as well.

Seems like OC/QB Coaches recruit their QB then worry more about game-planning and the offense while the other guys recruit.

• Fire 1

It seems many in this thread like to remember the the 30-40 wins over the mid and low level teams that didn't play defense well or at all and dismiss the rapid fire 3 and out for less that 25 point games against the winning teams in the league which threw a suspect defense that was structurally flawed back onto the field to play the majority of the game. Making a bad situation worse.

The no huddle was Beck's idea, something he brought form KU. And it would have worked in the Big XII. But not here, not in this league. Not when you're hyper aggressive style of play hits a rut or good defense, you three and out and don't see the ball again until your opponent has grinded 8-10 minutes off the clock.

Top this off with a lack of development of Qb's, the position he was responsible for, and you just have bad coach. It don't think it's a coincidence that since he was hired the two games they have lost their offense laid down and died or mysteriously decided to stop giving Ezikial Elliot the ball.

And no the USC game did not show what Tim Beck was capable of. That Trojan team was not good on defense, it gave up 37-38 points to it opponents three times that year. all losses. They coughed up 30 to a Cal team that was not very competitive that year.

Putting 42 points on a below average trojans defense and their alcoholic head coach is not an accomplishment when your below average defense needs you to eat up clock so that they can adjust to try and get a stop to help you win the game.

Just my two cents, I don't like Beck as a coach, but I hear he's a nice guy.

This was a smartass comment. I dont really believe that. i was hoping nuance would be the first to respond.

when you look at teh best of Bo's recruiting classes, or his last 2-3, there are a lot-A LOT- of misses and holes. I guess i just dont understand how you cant watch a Nebraska game, esp last year, and see there is a lack of talent at certain positions. Dont take my comments to the extreme. But they are in the middle. I'm just disagreeing with the all a sudden notion that this roster was left loaded for this new staff, like what Callahan did for Bo, in the raw talent categorry. Suh-fan above said the cupboard wasnt left bare. I agree. There were good players in key positions. it wasnt loaded either. That's all my point is. That it's somewhere in the middle. We have talent. But we're not an overly talented team. And I also believe this program is capable of recruiting at a much higher level than the last staff could, on a consistent basis.

Ha ha! Just got back to my computer, and was scratching my head at your response above. I guess my sarcasm-O-meter is on the fritz. Um, yeah, TG should have *foreseen* that we'd be going to a West Coast Offense after his departure, and he should have recruited to fill that role. (Even though he didn't coach QBs after the 2002 season.) :lol:

Ha ha! Just got back to my computer, and was scratching my head at your response above. I guess my sarcasm-O-meter is on the fritz. Um, yeah, TG should have *foreseen* that we'd be going to a West Coast Offense after his departure, and he should have recruited to fill that role. (Even though he didn't coach QBs after the 2002 season.) :lol:

It was a smart ass remark, directed at you and you alone. I hopin to get a response from you sooner. I shouldntve replied above. I shouldve waited.

What I find interesting is that a lot of people always seem to bag on the offensive coordinator. A lot of people were excited to see Watson leave. A lot of people were excited to see Beck leave. There are a lot of people that wouldn't be sad to see Langs leave. Why is that? More often than not in the past 15 years, the defense has caused us more trouble than the offense.

Since this thread is about fondness for former coaches, I'm going to give a shoutout to Frank Solich. While many will disagree, I thought Solich handled the situation very well taking over for a living legend and for the most part kept us rolling. He made some tough choices cutting ties along the way, but he brought in some promising young blood only to get fired after one short year. He may or may not have had some off field problems, but at least he never wrecked a motorcycle with his girlfriend on back who he invented a job for in the athletic department.

I never cease to be amazed at fans who expect coaching staffs, who were fired (for whatever reason they want to believe), feel it is that staff's responsibility to recruit players for the replacement coaching staff which fit their in-coming offense. See for example, Joe Dailey and how he was mercilessly trashed.

I never cease to be amazed at fans who expect coaching staffs, who were fired (for whatever reason they want to believe), feel it is that staff's responsibility to recruit players for the replacement coaching staff which fit their in-coming offense. See for example, Joe Dailey and how he was mercilessly trashed.

Ha ha! You realize Count was being sarcastic, right? I mean, the recruiting process often starts years before signing day. If you remember Steve Pederson's clusterf#@k coaching search back in 2003, I don't think anyoneeven Steve Pedersonhad any clue who our next coach would be even into the first week of 2004. :lol:

Yeah. By no stretch is Beck a bad coach. He's also a great recruiter with TX connections. The Buckeyes take recruiting seriously.

He was? Once he became OC, he basically brought in a QB every year and called it a day.

That's pretty much what Langsdorf does as well.

Seems like OC/QB Coaches recruit their QB then worry more about game-planning and the offense while the other guys recruit.

I agree. IMO you can't be a "great" recruiter if you bring in 1 guy a year.