Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed

Beck is garbage. Look at what has happened to Cardale Jones and JT Barret under his watch as qb coach. Not simply a mechanics standpoint. I'm talkin from an overall quarterback performance point. Inconsistent. Failure to execute simple things. It's just that as more time goes by, the more i think that Martinez and Armstrong were kinda screwed over in the qb development category. Just my opinion.

I didn't mind Beck. I always thought his poor attitude, like that of some of the other coaches and players, came from the culture Pelini created and fostered.

• Fire 2

To answer the point in the thread title how about, well, "the place to discuss all non-husker sports"... :dunno

how is this unrelated to husker sports

tom beck is less than 2years removed as a nebraska coach. Will forever be a former nebraska coach. And is a coach for the team we play this week. It has as much if not more to with husker sports than most of the other topics.

To answer the point in the thread title how about, well, "the place to discuss all non-husker sports"... :dunno

how is this unrelated to husker sports

Would have thought your first post answered that.

I get that there is bleedover between categories and really don't want to hijack the thread. Just thought that discussing how OSU's qb coach is affecting their qb's would be more appropriate in another category. No big deal.

we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

I think we are going to be really, really good next year (combined with the odd year favorable home schedule), and I don't think there is any way that Riley matches Bo's record in his 7 (wasn't it 7? 2008-14?) years. Forget more wins, I can't imagine he even matches it, especially with a 6-spot hung on the board last year. Do people think Riley's record will be better than Bo's? Wow...didn't even think that was a thing.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next year - we lose a lot of experience on D and obviously breaking in a freshman/transfer QB is going to be an adventure.

I didn't mean so much as a literal goal, but more the notion that fans would want Riley fired if goes 5 to 7 years without a CCG or BCS bowl, even if he goes .700+ between now and his 7th year.

Absolutely impossible.

• Fire 1

we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

I think we are going to be really, really good next year (combined with the odd year favorable home schedule), and I don't think there is any way that Riley matches Bo's record in his 7 (wasn't it 7? 2008-14?) years. Forget more wins, I can't imagine he even matches it, especially with a 6-spot hung on the board last year. Do people think Riley's record will be better than Bo's? Wow...didn't even think that was a thing.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next year - we lose a lot of experience on D and obviously breaking in a freshman/transfer QB is going to be an adventure.

I didn't mean so much as a literal goal, but more the notion that fans would want Riley fired if goes 5 to 7 years without a CCG or BCS bowl, even if he goes .700+ between now and his 7th year.

Absolutely impossible.

You're right. I mean whatever they are calling the rose bowl, fiesta et al when they aren't playoff games.

Perhaps once he added the OC responsibilities, but I guess I'd give him some slack on that. At least prior to that, I remember him being one of the top (and few) recruiting assets on Pelini's staff, who really put in the work.

At Ohio State, he isn't solely in charge of the offense. I'm not sure how much he's out on the trail now, but at the time of the hire, it sure seemed like the TX angle and his recruiting chops were a part of it.

Beck's pretty well connected in TX from his time as a HS FB head coach there. Ultimately he was not one of my big worries about assistants on Pelini's staff.

He also got his top quarterback pick pretty much every year he was OC here. They didn't pan out much, but he was 'successful' on the trail in a big and exciting way from a fan's perspective until the players didn't turn into stars.

This is why I am excited about Riley's players especially at the qb spot. He is known for being able to spot talent

I was definitely anti-Bo when he was here and wanted him gone but I have to hand it to him. He did not leave the cupboard bare and he and his staff did recruit some pretty good football players after it was all said and done. His problem was development imo among other things and being able to 'put it all together'.

He was in over his head as a head coach here and it clearly, clearly showed but he and his staff did recruit better than the rankings might have reflected.

Ha ha! The title of this thread is: "Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed." Don't we have any fondness? No fondness at all for any of them? Really? Okay, here's some.

Turner Gill. Could you ask for a better role model for young men to look up to? I mean, he was great at his job and got along well with everyoneplayers, other coaches, fans, everyone. Was there ever a controversy or scandal this guy was involved in? If so, it must have minor because I can't remember any. And it seems like he has surrounded himself with like minded staff members in his new gig at Liberty. If I had a high school aged son who was looking at small schools to play football for, I'd feel he was in good hands playing for Gill and his staff. :thumbs:

• Fire 2

There's one statement that ive used times before that perfectly defines the recruiting of the previous staff, which was ok, but it also wasnt good enough. Yes, they brought in some really good players.

We have talent on this team. But this is not an overly talented team. There are holes. There are depth issues.

Ha ha! The title of this thread is: "Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed." Don't we have any fondness? No fondness at all for any of them? Really? Okay, here's some.

Turner Gill. Could you ask for a better role model for young men to look up to? I mean, he was great at his job and got along well with everyoneplayers, other coaches, fans, everyone. Was there ever a controversy or scandal this guy was involved in? If so, it must have minor because I can't remember any. And it seems like he has surrounded himself with like minded staff members in his new gig at Liberty. If I had a high school aged son who was looking at small schools to play football for, I'd feel he was in good hands playing for Gill and his staff. :thumbs:

Turner Gill left the quarterback position in shambles for Callahan and Pelini when Nebraska tried to modernize the offense. Horrible. Just horrible.