Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed

ALL coaches feel that way about a faction of their fans. But here's the deal. All you do is hamstring yourself and your program by coming out with it. It's stupid. It shows exactly where your mindset is and generates unnecessary tension. f#*k them guys. They couldnt handle it. And Bo is stupid for acting like it's so much worse (or depending on the guy who would embrace possible extra attn, ahem) than any other place. Cuz it's not. The fact that we can come to a message board and discuss a players performance, and these guys get all butthurt over it shows exactly why theyre not here anymore. They had time to worry about a few negative fans but couldnt figure out how to stop a simple counter trap on a snowy november day. Right.

I GUARANTEE you, Mike Riley thinks to himself multiple times a days (some of these ppl are frickin nuts). But he knows being vocal about it would cause problems and only make things harder. he knows that harmony and filtering out the negative and only focusing on the positives of our fandom is good for the program. Bo and such were frickin morons for obviously playing it the other way.

Fair enough.

I always thought that Bo had some growing up to do. I also thought that the fans of our team did, too (including media members).

Bo got his hard lesson by being fired from a great job.

Those fans who thought our on field product wasn't sufficient to save a coach's job may learn a hard lesson, too.

And before someone says, "it was for other reasons!" we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

ALL coaches feel that way about a faction of their fans. But here's the deal. All you do is hamstring yourself and your program by coming out with it. It's stupid. It shows exactly where your mindset is and generates unnecessary tension. f#*k them guys. They couldnt handle it. And Bo is stupid for acting like it's so much worse (or depending on the guy who would embrace possible extra attn, ahem) than any other place. Cuz it's not. The fact that we can come to a message board and discuss a players performance, and these guys get all butthurt over it shows exactly why theyre not here anymore. They had time to worry about a few negative fans but couldnt figure out how to stop a simple counter trap on a snowy november day. Right.

I GUARANTEE you, Mike Riley thinks to himself multiple times a days (some of these ppl are frickin nuts). But he knows being vocal about it would cause problems and only make things harder. he knows that harmony and filtering out the negative and only focusing on the positives of our fandom is good for the program. Bo and such were frickin morons for obviously playing it the other way.

Fair enough.

I always thought that Bo had some growing up to do. I also thought that the fans of our team did, too (including media members).

Bo got his hard lesson by being fired from a great job.

Those fans who thought our on field product wasn't sufficient to save a coach's job may learn a hard lesson, too.

And before someone says, "it was for other reasons!" we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

if Bo had the demeanor and attitude of Mike Riley, I still believe he would still be here. Those shenanigans and that garbage behavior really wear thin in a hurry if youre not winning at the highest of levels. Rubs way too many people the wrong way. So yeah, his ousting was due to reasons on top of on-field performance. It was a package deal. which goes back to my other point, that Mike Riley demeanor would buy him more time in the case of the same performance circumstances

• Fire 1

Personally, I think he's right in that a segment of Husker fans, particularly on social media and message boards, are completely reactive and overly critical toward players - he's right that if a player is performing to what a fan deems acceptable, that fan loves the player, and if not, the criticism is withering in many cases.

Martinez was a prime example of that - other than Jamal Lord, he may have been the most unfairly criticized QB in Nebraska history - by the end of 2013, the media and fans' criticism of the program were reaching a peak (remember all the rumors about how Bo had already been fired and they were just letting the string play out?).

You better add Joe Dailey to that list as well. I'd say he is at the top. I read so much garbage spewed his way by so many "Nowledable" fans on forums for what happened in 2004. He was also thrown under the bus by the coaching staff after that season. No wonder he transferred.

So, yeah, kudos to your comment regarding many forum fans deserving a kick in their arse.

if Bo had the demeanor and attitude of Mike Riley, I still believe he would still be here. Those shenanigans and that garbage behavior really wear thin in a hurry if youre not winning at the highest of levels. Rubs way too many people the wrong way. So yeah, his ousting was due to reasons on top of on-field performance. It was a package deal. which goes back to my other point, that Mike Riley demeanor would buy him more time in the case of the same performance circumstances

Uh, according to the current AD, Riley has to win the "right" games. Whatever the flux that means.

we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

I think we are going to be really, really good next year (combined with the odd year favorable home schedule), and I don't think there is any way that Riley matches Bo's record in his 7 (wasn't it 7? 2008-14?) years. Forget more wins, I can't imagine he even matches it, especially with a 6-spot hung on the board last year. Do people think Riley's record will be better than Bo's? Wow...didn't even think that was a thing.

Honestly I always liked Beck. I actually kind of agree with his comment about the fanbase, in the context of what was asked and how he sounded from what I remember from the video. It might not have been the smartest thing to say, but part of what I liked about him is that he seemed to be pretty off the cuff for better or worse. People on here would jump down his throat when he would say things like, "Yeah I might have screwed that up.", as if admitting mistakes is proof of incompetency. I can only think of a handful of games that his offenses really hurt us - 2011 Northwestern, 2013 UCLA and Iowa, some others. Most big games he either scored quite a lot of points or was put into an impossible situation by Pelini's defense going into PTSD breakdown mode.

I also thought Beck was handcuffed a decent amount by Pelini, fwiw.

Personally, I think he's right in that a segment of Husker fans, particularly on social media and message boards, are completely reactive and overly critical toward players - he's right that if a player is performing to what a fan deems acceptable, that fan loves the player, and if not, the criticism is withering in many cases.

Martinez was a prime example of that - other than Jamal Lord, he may have been the most unfairly criticized QB in Nebraska history - by the end of 2013, the media and fans' criticism of the program were reaching a peak (remember all the rumors about how Bo had already been fired and they were just letting the string play out?).

You better add Joe Dailey to that list as well. I'd say he is at the top. I read so much garbage spewed his way by so many "Nowledable" fans on forums for what happened in 2004. He was also thrown under the bus by the coaching staff after that season. No wonder he transferred.

So, yeah, kudos to your comment regarding many forum fans deserving a kick in their arse.

Good point on Dailey.

He was scapegoated to defend an awful staff. I really hope things don't play out the same way for this staff.

Honestly I always liked Beck. I actually kind of agree with his comment about the fanbase, in the context of what was asked and how he sounded from what I remember from the video. It might not have been the smartest thing to say, but part of what I liked about him is that he seemed to be pretty off the cuff for better or worse. People on here would jump down his throat when he would say things like, "Yeah I might have screwed that up.", as if admitting mistakes is proof of incompetency. I can only think of a handful of games that his offenses really hurt us - 2011 Northwestern, 2013 UCLA and Iowa, some others. Most big games he either scored quite a lot of points or was put into an impossible situation by Pelini's defense going into PTSD breakdown mode.

I also thought Beck was handcuffed a decent amount by Pelini, fwiw.

I think there's some truth to that. I think Bo is a defense first guy and isn't onboard with what I think is a key component of team success at Nebraska - a dynamic, high scoring offense. I think he'd buckle down and try to win 28-17 rather than cut his offense lose and at the risk of a score ending up 49-38.

As much as I like and respect Martinez and Armstrong under Beck, I do think there's some good evidence for why cutting those guys loose may not have been prudent.

Don't you get it? The fans can say, post, tweet anything we want, no matter how mean or nasty...but the players and staff have to totally be cool with it and think it is great.

Watch...this very post will get people will worked, mad, upset and even more. Yet, many of you expect the players and coaches to be totally cool with it, come on.

I don't think Beck is some great coach, I don't think he is some bad coach. I think he is probably in the upper half and I can't imagine Meyer hiring just because he is from Ohio.

we've already seen fans say that even if Riley were to match Bo's 6 year record, he should be fired (or force retired) - so it wasn't just or even mostly other reasons.

I think we are going to be really, really good next year (combined with the odd year favorable home schedule), and I don't think there is any way that Riley matches Bo's record in his 7 (wasn't it 7? 2008-14?) years. Forget more wins, I can't imagine he even matches it, especially with a 6-spot hung on the board last year. Do people think Riley's record will be better than Bo's? Wow...didn't even think that was a thing.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens next year - we lose a lot of experience on D and obviously breaking in a freshman/transfer QB is going to be an adventure.

I didn't mean so much as a literal goal, but more the notion that fans would want Riley fired if goes 5 to 7 years without a CCG or BCS bowl, even if he goes .700+ between now and his 7th year.

Uh, according to the current AD, Riley has to win the "right" games. Whatever the flux that means.

I think it's games that matter? Eerily similar to how Pederson described the standards.

But I agree - it's about winning championships, not games, for many people that follow the Huskers.

I have posted this before, but I think the offense struggles a lot next year. Unless there is a new crop of linemen that are totally awesome, I don't see how NU replaces so much of offensive production from this year.

The defense could be very good/great, even with the loss of Rose-Ivey, Banderas, and Gerry.

The problem to me is that that attitude is leveled at the entire fan base, when in reality it is only a few internet trolls, and typically the people tweeting or commenting or whatever if they were actually face to face with a player or coach they wouldn't say anything, in fact they'd probably be the ones requesting photos and signatures. I have only anecdotal experience but my feeling is that the team and coaches are generally treated like demigods here even if they don't amount to much

I have posted this before, but I think the offense struggles a lot next year. Unless there is a new crop of linemen that are totally awesome, I don't see how NU replaces so much of offensive production from this year.

The defense could be very good/great, even with the loss of Rose-Ivey, Banderas, and Gerry.

I think our line will just get better with time. Next year they should be solid. We will have pretty good RB depth, WR corps won't be bad could be pretty good but we won't have anot uber talented tight end. QB will be the question but if we can get consistently decent play we should be pretty good