In-State Talent vs. Out-State Talent

Again we have 4 guys signed over the next 2 years and that number will probably go up 1 or 2.

We need some NE talent and I understand it is easier to acclimate if you are from NE as opposed to say CA but in reality if we are getting quality guys I don't care where they are from. You did say a similar sentiment in the OP but i think we should have faith this staff is pulling in the type of guys who will meet or exceed the talent and production we could get out of guys in state

NU used to regularly recruit 5+ Nebraska kids a year. Either that old system made otherwise average athletes more successful than they would have been or there are a lot of "under appreciated" Nebraska kids being missed out on recently (and I don't limit this to Riley - it goes back aways).

Maybe it's both.

And the number of quality in state recruits has to be constant over time?NU also used to have more scholarships available so could afford to take more chances on in state kids.

What was the last class of Nebraska high school kids that turned out 5+ legitimate Power 5 contributors?

Since 1973, in what year did Tom Osborne sign more recruits than he would have been allowed to under current rules?

Every year up to 1992 when the limit was dropped to the current 85
Incorrect. Almost all of tom's classes were below 25.
And so are most of our classes now.

There were 10 extra scholarship. Thus he could sign more kids than he could have now. 2-3 per year, depending on how things worked out.

Yet he didn't. Look at the numbers.
If you sign 25 a year, you will have between 100 and 125 on your roster. So of course he signed less than 25, because he didn't have that many scholarships to do otherwise.

NU used to regularly recruit 5+ Nebraska kids a year. Either that old system made otherwise average athletes more successful than they would have been or there are a lot of "under appreciated" Nebraska kids being missed out on recently (and I don't limit this to Riley - it goes back aways).

Maybe it's both.

And the number of quality in state recruits has to be constant over time?NU also used to have more scholarships available so could afford to take more chances on in state kids.

What was the last class of Nebraska high school kids that turned out 5+ legitimate Power 5 contributors?

Since 1973, in what year did Tom Osborne sign more recruits than he would have been allowed to under current rules?

There were 10 extra scholarship. Thus he could sign more kids than he could have now. 2-3 per year, depending on how things worked out.

Where is your list of how many he signed each year?

Those organizations are mainly garbage when it comes to evaluating kids from smaller markets. Even though they have tried to pretend that they aren't.

What evidence do you have of this?

I'll send you a peer reviewed paper.

I'm really unclear on what baseless accusation that I've made.

Google "why recruiting services are bullsh#t" and you'll find a hell of a lot of materials.

Hell, even lemming speaks of their limited value.

Yep. Because everything on the Interweb is absolutely true.

A number of the running backs you mentioned above (Benning and Childs, for easy examples), would have likely "languished" as backups at other schools. Many of those Omaha guys were sprinters with good, but not great, ball carrying skills. Through a combination of great position coaching and a system that was wholly designed to outnumber defenses at the point of attack, these guys were given an opportunity to show off great speed - but they weren't really asked to do the type of running we ask of RBs today (let alone pass pro).

That was part of the awesomeness of that system.

Now you're just making stuff up. By all accounts Childs may have been the best athlete on the team. Would have played almost anywhere.

Not making anything up - Childs visited no where else (maybe because he didn't want to, which I respect) and he was a career back up (a highly talented one, but backup nonetheless). He had no career in the NFL, going undrafted his senior year.

I love the guy and what he contributed at NU, but he and Benning and a number of other NU IBs definitely benefited from the system. It's not at all clear to me that he would have been a starter "almost anywhere."

Of course it's not clear to you. You don't want to believe it. What evidence do you have that they would have only been backups at other schools?

So you're still not answering the question.

So your theory is that NE talent mysteriously dried up after decades of production.

That's plausible, I gues.

Maybe it's both.

Husker max has the lists. I've summarized before - will search for the previous post.

Those organizations are mainly garbage when it comes to evaluating kids from smaller markets. Even though they have tried to pretend that they aren't.

What evidence do you have of this?

I'll send you a peer reviewed paper.

I'm really unclear on what baseless accusation that I've made.

Google "why recruiting services are bullsh#t" and you'll find a hell of a lot of materials.

Hell, even lemming speaks of their limited value.

Yep. Because everything on the Interweb is absolutely true.

No, not everything. But anyone with a sense of logic can see the flaw in trusting recruiting services. They are entertaining and I have to admit they've done an effective job of monetizing the off season. But they are a joke when it comes to assessing anyone outside of the top 150 or so players in the country.

Maybe it's both.

Husker max has the lists. I've summarized before - will search for the previous post.

So I randomly started in 1989 and went backwards.

1989 - 23 recruits

1988 - 26 recruits

1987 - 22 recruits

1986 - 20 recruits

So just those four classes is 91 recruits. Which would not be possible today. And even that's only if none of the 25 players from the 1985 class redshirted and no scholarships were given to walk-ons.

So Osborne was signing more kids than is possible today. QED.

How many kids have been signed to NU in the past 4 years?

2016 - 21

2015 - 22

2014 - 18

2013 - 19

with just a quick glance, 2014 and 2013 had like 2-4 JUCO recruits which would have inflated the 2015/2016 classes slightly. think 2013 and 2014 also had a couple that didnt make it to campus or flamed out right after they got to campus bolstering the following classes as well.

now to compare and contrast, i believe the counts are 91 for osborne and 80 for pelini/riley.

2016 - 21

2015 - 22

2014 - 18

2013 - 19

with just a quick glance, 2014 and 2013 had like 2-4 JUCO recruits which would have inflated the 2015/2016 classes slightly. think 2013 and 2014 also had a couple that didnt make it to campus or flamed out right after they got to campus bolstering the following classes as well.

now to compare and contrast, i believe the counts are 91 for osborne and 80 for pelini/riley.

Your numbers don't appear correct based on 247 lists.

2016 - 21

2015 - 22

2014 - 18

2013 - 19

Your numbers don't appear correct based on 247 lists.

i took the numbers from the board you are reading. if you have different numbers post them.