Navy beat a vastly more talented ND team

There is no debate: NU is talented. Very talented.

Ask yourself this: if the coaching staffs traded teams, which would win? Before saying Riley's, consider what Langs would do with Barnett.

If Scott frost was running this roster, we'd have the best offense in the conference. We have so much potential being wasted right now.

No, no you wouldn't.

LOL Apparently CM doesnt understand the concept of oline.

Ask yourself this: if the coaching staffs traded teams, which would win? Before saying Riley's, consider what Langs would do with Barnett.

If Scott frost was running this roster, we'd have the best offense in the conference. We have so much potential being wasted right now.

No, no you wouldn't.

yeah we would be nowhere near OSU and Michigan. I said this before the year as well. Everybody was so giddy over our receivers. The problem is that receivers have a very little effect on wins and losses. We have one of the worst olines in the conferences. We could have megatron out there and it wouldn't matter.

Of all the huge talent gaps we saw all across the field saturday night, the most glaring was on both front lines. And it was pretty clear rather early. The rebuild of this program is 75% on Cav and Parella right now. Work gotta get done in recruiting and development up front.

nice...the old transitive game?

Not transitive at all.

The point is, NU will not be as consistently talented across the board as the top 10 to 15 most talented rosters.

So, how do we stay consistently more successful than the other similarly talented programs while also taking a bite out of top 10 talented programs too?

In my opinion, we look at schools like Navy and Briles' Baylor (and Nebraska from the 80s and 90s) and think about modeling our system after theirs. Be hard nosed, be mobile at the QB spot, minimize opponent possessions when necessary, etc.

Stop trashing our players.

• Fire 2

So lets see what I heard this morning. Nebrakska right now only has 10? legitly recruited olineman on roster? 4 are redshirting? 3 are hurt (knevel, foster, farmer). And our best is on a bum ankle. So we're basically trotting out a jv/high school oline.

Radio appears to be wrong. Stats are below.

NU has 15 legitly (sic) recruited OL, unless people have quit mid-season and I missed it. As far as "JV/High School" I suppose in some "fans" worlds that's a funny jab, but not at all reflective of reality. But, if we are "trotting out" w/o OL, then it's by the coaches' choice, because they either don't want to play scholarship players or the w/o's legitimately beat them out (completely possible considering our rich history of walkon OL). Because right now, it looks like NU is choosing to sit 5 scholarship players in favor of all three starting w/o's.

And these aren't slouch scholarship guys - I listed their offers per the Husker bio after their names.

If people think that NU is going to have an appreciably better run of OL recruiting, I think they are in for a rude awakening. Nebraska's not going to field a roster with 20+ OLmen. Even this year, Riley's staff is looking at about 4 OLmen. Any staff at NU needs to be able to retain and win with this quality of players.

If there are too many injuries, then one has to ask, why are we suffering so many? Bad S&C? A misguided approach to substitution that leaves guys in and over-fatigued, leading to injury?

Starting Lineup against OSU:

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

LG - Sam Hahn (w/o transfer from NDSU in class of '13 who played in 4 games prior to this season)

C - Dylan Utter (w/o class of '12 who played in 6 games as a sophomore and started every game in '15 and has been on scholarship since his sophomore year)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

RT - Conrad Cole (w/o class of '14)

John Rairdon (4* from Iowa) - apparently redshirting

Matt Farinok (4* from SD) - apparently redshirting

Bryan Brokop (3* from Illionos) - apparently redshirting

Boe Wilson (3* from Missouri) - apparently redshirting

Jalin Barnett (4* from Oklahoma) - available ("No. 4 offensive guard in the country by ESPN and visited Arkansas and Oklahoma and considered Oklahoma State before choosing the Huskers.")

Christian Gaylord (3* from Kansas) - available ("He had numerous offers including Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Texas.")

Michael Decker (3* from Nebraska) - available (" Decker was ranked among the top 50 offensive guards in the country by several outlets, while Scout listed him as the nation’s No. 7 center prospect and also visited KSU")

Tanner Famer (4* from Illinois) - starter who is injured

Nick Gates (4* from Nevada) - starter

Jerald Foster (3* from Nebraska) - starter who is injured

David Knevel (3* from Canada) - starter

Zach Hannon (3* from Missouri) - available ("had offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, Iowa State and Illinois to name a few")

Matt Finnin (3* from JUCO) - left program prior to senior season in '15

Dwayne Johnson (3* from Texas) - available ("Johnson chose Nebraska over offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington State and Purdue")

Chongo Kondolo (3* from Juco) - exhausted eligibility in '15

Paul Thurston (4* from Colorado) - transferred prior to senior year of '16 (unclear to me why, but sounds like personality conflict with Cav)

Corey Witaker (3* from California) - starter

• Fire 1

Not transitive at all.

The point is, NU will not be as consistently talented across the board as the top 10 to 15 most talented rosters.

So, how do we stay consistently more successful than the other similarly talented programs while also taking a bite out of top 10 talented programs too?

In my opinion, we look at schools like Navy and Briles' Baylor (and Nebraska from the 80s and 90s) and think about modeling our system after theirs. Be hard nosed, be mobile at the QB spot, minimize opponent possessions when necessary, etc.

You miss the important part of my post - these players are good enough to win if they have proper coaching.

But some of you would rather a frontal assault against Alabama, USC and Ohio St than using an "uncool" system that might actually flank those better situated programs.

Not transitive at all.

You miss the important part of my post - these players are good enough to win if they have proper coaching.

But some of you would rather a frontal assault against Alabama, USC and Ohio St than using an "uncool" system that might actually flank those better situated programs.

No...you said we will never be as talented. You are trashing our players and I want you to stop right now. I'm tired of you trashing our players.

• Fire 1

No, no you wouldn't.

yeah we would be nowhere near OSU and Michigan. I said this before the year as well. Everybody was so giddy over our receivers. The problem is that receivers have a very little effect on wins and losses. We have one of the worst olines in the conferences. We could have megatron out there and it wouldn't matter.

Of all the huge talent gaps we saw all across the field saturday night, the most glaring was on both front lines. And it was pretty clear rather early. The rebuild of this program is 75% on Cav and Parella right now. Work gotta get done in recruiting and development up front.

We are sitting multiple starred recruits (e.g., Newell) on the DL, too.

I agree that they definitely need to work on development - I do have to laugh at those who were so looking forward to an "attacking" style of DL play after "that other guy" was fired. In reality, NU has done very little "one gap and attack" with the DL and almost none on Saturday.

I've heard for 15 years how NU needs to improve it's recruiting - and every year, on average, we are about the same. Other than cheating, how does NU change it up?

So lets see what I heard this morning. Nebrakska right now only has 10? legitly recruited olineman on roster? 4 are redshirting? 3 are hurt (knevel, foster, farmer). And our best is on a bum ankle. So we're basically trotting out a jv/high school oline.

Radio appears to be wrong. Stats are below.

NU has 15 legitly (sic) recruited OL, unless people have quit mid-season and I missed it. As far as "JV/High School" I suppose in some "fans" worlds that's a funny jab, but not at all reflective of reality. But, if we are "trotting out" w/o OL, then it's by the coaches' choice, because they either don't want to play scholarship players or the w/o's legitimately beat them out (completely possible considering our rich history of walkon OL). Because right now, it looks like NU is choosing to sit 5 scholarship players in favor of all three starting w/o's.

And these aren't slouch scholarship guys - I listed their offers per the Husker bio after their names.

If people think that NU is going to have an appreciably better run of OL recruiting, I think they are in for a rude awakening. Nebraska's not going to field a roster with 20+ OLmen. Even this year, Riley's staff is looking at about 4 OLmen. Any staff at NU needs to be able to retain and win with this quality of players.

If there are too many injuries, then one has to ask, why are we suffering so many? Bad S&C? A misguided approach to substitution that leaves guys in and over-fatigued, leading to injury?

Starting Lineup against OSU:

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

LG - Sam Hahn (w/o transfer from NDSU in class of '13 who played in 4 games prior to this season)

C - Dylan Utter (w/o class of '12 who played in 6 games as a sophomore and started every game in '15 and has been on scholarship since his sophomore year)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

RT - Conrad Cole (w/o class of '14)

John Rairdon (4* from Iowa) - apparently redshirting

Matt Farinok (4* from SD) - apparently redshirting

Bryan Brokop (3* from Illionos) - apparently redshirting

Boe Wilson (3* from Missouri) - apparently redshirting

Jalin Barnett (4* from Oklahoma) - available ("No. 4 offensive guard in the country by ESPN and visited Arkansas and Oklahoma and considered Oklahoma State before choosing the Huskers.")

Christian Gaylord (3* from Kansas) - available ("He had numerous offers including Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Texas.")

Michael Decker (3* from Nebraska) - available (" Decker was ranked among the top 50 offensive guards in the country by several outlets, while Scout listed him as the nation’s No. 7 center prospect and also visited KSU")

Tanner Famer (4* from Illinois) - starter who is injured

Nick Gates (4* from Nevada) - starter

Jerald Foster (3* from Nebraska) - starter who is injured

David Knevel (3* from Canada) - starter

Zach Hannon (3* from Missouri) - available ("had offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, Iowa State and Illinois to name a few")

Matt Finnin (3* from JUCO) - left program prior to senior season in '15

Dwayne Johnson (3* from Texas) - available ("Johnson chose Nebraska over offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington State and Purdue")

Chongo Kondolo (3* from Juco) - exhausted eligibility in '15

Paul Thurston (4* from Colorado) - transferred prior to senior year of '16 (unclear to me why, but sounds like personality conflict with Cav)

Corey Witaker (3* from California) - starter

good stuff. I'm thinking I heard it wrong, or they meant it as 10 AFTER the redshirts. Pretty much has to be that way. it was said ten. And that would make sense.

Not transitive at all.

No...you said we will never be as talented. You are trashing our players and I want you to stop right now. I'm tired of you trashing our players.

Haha. Good one.

Not transitive at all.

Haha. Good one.

I'm serious. I am sick and tired of you trashing our players.

• Fire 1