Navy beat a vastly more talented ND team

So lets see what I heard this morning. Nebrakska right now only has 10? legitly recruited olineman on roster? 4 are redshirting? 3 are hurt (knevel, foster, farmer). And our best is on a bum ankle. So we're basically trotting out a jv/high school oline.

Radio appears to be wrong. Stats are below.

NU has 15 legitly (sic) recruited OL, unless people have quit mid-season and I missed it. As far as "JV/High School" I suppose in some "fans" worlds that's a funny jab, but not at all reflective of reality. But, if we are "trotting out" w/o OL, then it's by the coaches' choice, because they either don't want to play scholarship players or the w/o's legitimately beat them out (completely possible considering our rich history of walkon OL). Because right now, it looks like NU is choosing to sit 5 scholarship players in favor of all three starting w/o's.

And these aren't slouch scholarship guys - I listed their offers per the Husker bio after their names.

If people think that NU is going to have an appreciably better run of OL recruiting, I think they are in for a rude awakening. Nebraska's not going to field a roster with 20+ OLmen. Even this year, Riley's staff is looking at about 4 OLmen. Any staff at NU needs to be able to retain and win with this quality of players.

If there are too many injuries, then one has to ask, why are we suffering so many? Bad S&C? A misguided approach to substitution that leaves guys in and over-fatigued, leading to injury?

Starting Lineup against OSU:

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

LG - Sam Hahn (w/o transfer from NDSU in class of '13 who played in 4 games prior to this season)

C - Dylan Utter (w/o class of '12 who played in 6 games as a sophomore and started every game in '15 and has been on scholarship since his sophomore year)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

RT - Conrad Cole (w/o class of '14)

John Rairdon (4* from Iowa) - apparently redshirting

Matt Farinok (4* from SD) - apparently redshirting

Bryan Brokop (3* from Illionos) - apparently redshirting

Boe Wilson (3* from Missouri) - apparently redshirting

Jalin Barnett (4* from Oklahoma) - available ("No. 4 offensive guard in the country by ESPN and visited Arkansas and Oklahoma and considered Oklahoma State before choosing the Huskers.")

Christian Gaylord (3* from Kansas) - available ("He had numerous offers including Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Texas.")

Michael Decker (3* from Nebraska) - available (" Decker was ranked among the top 50 offensive guards in the country by several outlets, while Scout listed him as the nation’s No. 7 center prospect and also visited KSU")

Tanner Famer (4* from Illinois) - starter who is injured

Nick Gates (4* from Nevada) - starter

Jerald Foster (3* from Nebraska) - starter who is injured

David Knevel (3* from Canada) - starter

Zach Hannon (3* from Missouri) - available ("had offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, Iowa State and Illinois to name a few")

Matt Finnin (3* from JUCO) - left program prior to senior season in '15

Dwayne Johnson (3* from Texas) - available ("Johnson chose Nebraska over offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington State and Purdue")

Chongo Kondolo (3* from Juco) - exhausted eligibility in '15

Paul Thurston (4* from Colorado) - transferred prior to senior year of '16 (unclear to me why, but sounds like personality conflict with Cav)

Corey Witaker (3* from California) - starter

good stuff. I'm thinking I heard it wrong, or they meant it as 10 AFTER the redshirts. Pretty much has to be that way. it was said ten. And that would make sense.

If it's 10 after the redshirting (and it's actually 11, and should have been 12 if they hadn't lost Thurston to a SR year transfer), I doubt that compares unfavorably to about 90% of CFB teams.

nice...the old transitive game?

Not transitive at all.

The point is, NU will not be as consistently talented across the board as the top 10 to 15 most talented rosters.

So, how do we stay consistently more successful than the other similarly talented programs while also taking a bite out of top 10 talented programs too?

In my opinion, we look at schools like Navy and Briles' Baylor (and Nebraska from the 80s and 90s) and think about modeling our system after theirs. Be hard nosed, be mobile at the QB spot, minimize opponent possessions when necessary, etc.

Stop trashing our players.

You miss the important part of my post - these players are good enough to win if they have proper coaching.

But some of you would rather a frontal assault against Alabama, USC and Ohio St than using an "uncool" system that might actually flank those better situated programs.

No...you said we will never be as talented. You are trashing our players and I want you to stop right now. I'm tired of you trashing our players.

Haha. Good one.

I'm serious. I am sick and tired of you trashing our players.

Oh, I know you're serious.

You're a funny guy.

So lets see what I heard this morning. Nebrakska right now only has 10? legitly recruited olineman on roster? 4 are redshirting? 3 are hurt (knevel, foster, farmer). And our best is on a bum ankle. So we're basically trotting out a jv/high school oline.

NU has 15 legitly (sic) recruited OL, unless people have quit mid-season and I missed it. As far as "JV/High School" I suppose in some "fans" worlds that's a funny jab, but not at all reflective of reality. But, if we are "trotting out" w/o OL, then it's by the coaches' choice, because they either don't want to play scholarship players or the w/o's legitimately beat them out (completely possible considering our rich history of walkon OL). Because right now, it looks like NU is choosing to sit 5 scholarship players in favor of all three starting w/o's.

And these aren't slouch scholarship guys - I listed their offers per the Husker bio after their names.

If people think that NU is going to have an appreciably better run of OL recruiting, I think they are in for a rude awakening. Nebraska's not going to field a roster with 20+ OLmen. Even this year, Riley's staff is looking at about 4 OLmen. Any staff at NU needs to be able to retain and win with this quality of players.

If there are too many injuries, then one has to ask, why are we suffering so many? Bad S&C? A misguided approach to substitution that leaves guys in and over-fatigued, leading to injury?

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

LG - Sam Hahn (w/o transfer from NDSU in class of '13 who played in 4 games prior to this season)

C - Dylan Utter (w/o class of '12 who played in 6 games as a sophomore and started every game in '15 and has been on scholarship since his sophomore year)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

Jalin Barnett (4* from Oklahoma) - available ("No. 4 offensive guard in the country by ESPN and visited Arkansas and Oklahoma and considered Oklahoma State before choosing the Huskers.")

Christian Gaylord (3* from Kansas) - available ("He had numerous offers including Kansas State, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Texas.")

Michael Decker (3* from Nebraska) - available (" Decker was ranked among the top 50 offensive guards in the country by several outlets, while Scout listed him as the nation’s No. 7 center prospect and also visited KSU")

Zach Hannon (3* from Missouri) - available ("had offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas, Northwestern, Iowa State and Illinois to name a few")

Dwayne Johnson (3* from Texas) - available ("Johnson chose Nebraska over offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington State and Purdue")

Paul Thurston (4* from Colorado) - transferred prior to senior year of '16 (unclear to me why, but sounds like personality conflict with Cav)

good stuff. I'm thinking I heard it wrong, or they meant it as 10 AFTER the redshirts. Pretty much has to be that way. it was said ten. And that would make sense.

If it's 10 after the redshirting (and it's actually 11, and should have been 12 if they hadn't lost Thurston to a SR year transfer), I doubt that compares unfavorably to about 90% of CFB teams.

It's ten. You have ten "available" guys listed aside from the 4 redshirts. And the transfers/elig exhauseted players dont counts as ifs. Leave them out. They are not here. Which is the main point. I bet i heard it wrong. 10 guys after the redshirts. I also seriously thought Whitaker was a walkon too for some reason.

It said since 2013 they have 14 left on the team with 4 of those redshirting. That left 10 recruited high school players that are on scholarship left (which includes any of the ones that are currently hurt)

Did they mention that 5 healthy scholarship (3* and better) players are sitting behind walkons? 9 if you count the true freshmen, too.

Odd also that they'd leave off a r/s senior class - though I guess they did lose Thurston to transfer and people hate on Witaker a lot.

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

It's ten. You have ten "available" guys listed aside from the 4 redshirts. And the transfers/elig exhauseted players dont counts as ifs. Leave them out. They are not here. Which is the main point.

Last I checked, freshman are available. Pretty sure Ohio State started a few on saturday, including one on the OL.

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

It's ten. You have ten "available" guys listed aside from the 4 redshirts. And the transfers/elig exhauseted players dont counts as ifs. Leave them out. They are not here. Which is the main point.

Last I checked, freshman are available. Pretty sure Ohio State started a few on saturday, including one on the OL.

Just stop. You do this sh#t all the f'ing time. This is why youre seen as such a dipsh*t. I am seriously trying to have a legit discussion here, where i'm actually agreeing with you, and youre doing nothing but spinning the stuff for the sake of trying to be right, instead of getting right. just stop.

You listed 10 availables. Literally. aside fromt he 4 freshamn redshirts. You said "11. 12 if you count a transfer". Transfer doesnt count. And it's literally 10. So admit the wrong and say "yeah, it's ten". I admitted i was wrong. Jesus. Then you spin as "freshman are avial. yada yada", which ahs nothing to do with the numbers we're discussing.

• Fire 3

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

Just stop. You do this sh#t all the f'ing time.

Challenge bullsh#t attacked leveled at our players by the media and fanboard posters? Nah, I don't think I will stop.

NU has 9 healthy scholarship athletes that these coaches aren't playing.

That's either because they hate scholarship athletes or the w/o's are more productive. I'm going with the latter.

I'm tired of people seeing "NE w/o" and thinking "JV athlete." It's not an accurate assessment at all.

There is no debate: NU is talented. Very talented.

Ask yourself this: if the coaching staffs traded teams, which would win? Before saying Riley's, consider what Langs would do with Barnett.

If Scott frost was running this roster, we'd have the best offense in the conference. We have so much potential being wasted right now.

I'm sure Frost would be killing it with this OL. Quit wasting all this talent Danny!

https://twitter.com/UnCommonSense00/status/795417845899227136

Farmer was out right? That'd make THREE former/current walkons starting on the OL. Left-Right Gates/Hahn/Utter/Whitaker/Conrad. Hell I had to look Whitaker up because I thought he was a walkon. He got an offer 2 weeks before signing day with his best offer being Nevada. Leads me to believe he was a plan C when we missed some other guys and needed to fill the class.
Whitaker was the backup plan because the staff knew they weren't landing Andrus Peat.

nice...the old transitive game?

Not transitive at all.

The point is, NU will not be as consistently talented across the board as the top 10 to 15 most talented rosters.

So, how do we stay consistently more successful than the other similarly talented programs while also taking a bite out of top 10 talented programs too?

In my opinion, we look at schools like Navy and Briles' Baylor (and Nebraska from the 80s and 90s) and think about modeling our system after theirs. Be hard nosed, be mobile at the QB spot, minimize opponent possessions when necessary, etc.

Stop trashing our players.

You miss the important part of my post - these players are good enough to win if they have proper coaching.

But some of you would rather a frontal assault against Alabama, USC and Ohio St than using an "uncool" system that might actually flank those better situated programs.

No...you said we will never be as talented. You are trashing our players and I want you to stop right now. I'm tired of you trashing our players.

Haha. Good one.

I'm serious. I am sick and tired of you trashing our players.

Oh, I know you're serious.

You're a funny guy.

Oh...so....you are OK with trashing our players.....and coaches. Got it.

So are you suggesting doghouse theory? We can debate all day if it's all coaching, culture etc. i think it's just pure youth. If theyre not good enough theyre not good enough. So be it. Not sure what you game you watched saturday, but yeah, our oline looked like a jv unit. There's no spinning that. If scholarship Farmer and Foster are good to go, the two walkons are not playing. 7 of those nine are true fresh or redshirt fresh. It's not far fetched to say the walk ons are more mentally and physically developed. I wont argue with that. Hannon and Johnson are in their 4th seasons here. They havent seen the field yet. So for whatever reason, you can call them busts. It's ok. Yeah, just as much on Cav as Garrison. spent equal time with both.

Ask yourself this: if the coaching staffs traded teams, which would win? Before saying Riley's, consider what Langs would do with Barnett.

If Scott frost was running this roster, we'd have the best offense in the conference. We have so much potential being wasted right now.

No, NU is not "talented". That is very debatable. Outside of Gerry we don't have the speed or athleticism of even Wisconsin.

DPE, newby, gates, Morgan et al say hi.

Weird, I saw multiple times the past few games Gates completely missing blocks. Morgan had how many missed catches? The kind of talent we need makes all those plays.

What about Michael Rose-Ivy missing tackles? Completely whiffed on J. T. Barret when it should have been a sack. These are the kinds of plays great players and great teams make. We simply aren't making them.

• Fire 1

No, NU is not "talented". That is very debatable. Outside of Gerry we don't have the speed or athleticism of even Wisconsin.

DPE, newby, gates, Morgan et al say hi.

Weird, I saw multiple times the past few games Gates completely missing blocks. Morgan had how many missed catches? The kind of talent we need makes all those plays.

What about Michael Rose-Ivy missing tackles? Completely whiffed on J. T. Barret when it should have been a sack. These are the kinds of plays great players and great teams make. We simply aren't making them.

Young did a bullfighter too.

two blitzes. Two times getting home. Two opportunities to let the medics sort em out and we ran right by.

So are you suggesting doghouse theory? We can debate all day if it's all coaching, culture etc. i think it's just pure youth. If theyre not good enough theyre not good enough. So be it. Not sure what you game you watched saturday, but yeah, our oline looked like a jv unit. There's no spinning that. If scholarship Farmer and Foster are good to go, the two walkons are not playing. 7 of those nine are true fresh or redshirt fresh. It's not far fetched to say the walk ons are more mentally and physically developed. I wont argue with that. Hannon and Johnson are in their 4th seasons here. They havent seen the field yet. So for whatever reason, you can call them busts. It's ok. Yeah, just as much on Cav as Garrison. spent equal time with both.

I'm not at all suggesting dog house theory. Just the opposite.

And the notion that time as a freshman and redshirt freshman is equal to time as a redshirt sophomore and junior is just not at all reasonable.

LT - Nick Gates (4*)

RG - Corey Whitikar (3*)

Just stop. You do this sh#t all the f'ing time. This is why youre seen as such a dipsh*t. I am seriously trying to have a legit discussion here, where i'm actually agreeing with you, and youre doing nothing but spinning the stuff for the sake of trying to be right, instead of getting right. just stop.

You listed 10 availables. Literally. aside fromt he 4 freshamn redshirts. You said "11. 12 if you count a transfer". Transfer doesnt count. And it's literally 10. So admit the wrong and say "yeah, it's ten". I admitted i was wrong. Jesus. Then you spin as "freshman are avial. yada yada", which ahs nothing to do with the numbers we're discussing.

This is why I don't respond to him, ever. No one else should either, but I know it's hard to resist. :)

• Fire 1