Offensive Line and the Offense

I'm interested in knowing what great depth of players we have sitting on the bench that Cav is supposed to have been able to develop.

It's been posted quite a few times. NU has 5 healthy scholarship players sitting right now. And that doesn't include 4 well regarded freshmen who are supposedly sitting because of redshirt considerations. But really, based on Cav's stated and demonstrated approach, they are likely sitting because they aren't one of the top 5 and will continue to sit until they break into that top 5.

I'm interested in knowing what great depth of players we have sitting on the bench that Cav is supposed to have been able to develop.

that talent is there to win. And we're winning. We're 7-2.

I agree. 7-2 is winning. I sure as hell didn't like this week's game....but....I'll get over it.

But, I read the very well written and researched OP that spells out our OLine problems. Then, I read posts trashing our O line coach for not having guys developed and ready to go and it's all his fault that our O line is in this predicament.

So....I have to ask....who are these guys that Cav has had a ton of time with to develop and it's all his fault and instead they are just sitting on the bench?

You don't get credit for getting a .700+ program "back on track" when you ran them off the rails to begin with.

So...it is OK to trash our coaches?

It's definitely more acceptable to be critical of paid professionals, yes.

Hey....I've been preached to for two years now about how horrible it is to even say a peep that is bad about Bo and company. God forbid we would ever be critical of him.

So....I thought that rule probably carried forward. Guess not???

PS....it just dawned on me. The difference is that even though Bo was paid....he wasn't professional. Is that it? You have to be both "paid" and "professional".

• Fire 2

The OP does a good job explaining what many have been saying for awhile now to those who don't get it, many morons need to read this thread. To add on to the Op's remarks about not dropping this at Langsdorfs feet I agree completely. Langsdorf has even said that the more complex Run plays have been shelved due to the issues and injuries on the O-Line.

The bare bones offense we see this year is the result of all these injuries. The future is bright for us at this spot. But we will have to wait another year or two before we see it all come together.

• Fire 1

I believe that cm husker is a great example, as stated numerous times in the context of other conversations besides just this one, of a Husker fan that just never really adapted mentally to the 85 scholarship cap change.

Under the new paradigm, your season is basically a crapshoot if you get a bad run of injuries. You just don't have enough scholarships to load that offensive line up with guys.

The OP's assessment is good. And our fan base probably isn't weighing into consideration heavily enough.

• Fire 1

The OP does a good job explaining what many have been saying for awhile now to those who don't get it, many morons need to read this thread. To add on to the Op's remarks about not dropping this at Langsdorfs feet I agree completely. Langsdorf has even said that the more complex Run plays have been shelved due to the issues and injuries on the O-Line.

The bare bones offense we see this year is the result of all these injuries. The future is bright for us at this spot. But we will have to wait another year or two before we see it all come together.

But, there was an opportunity to say "let's try to fix this year and play the young guys" during the bye week. Instead, Riley and Cav tried to gamble and use walk-ons.

I understand that Riley is trying to play the long game, but I wish he would also focus on this year, because there was a strong opportunity to win at least the division. I understand the talent and depth was lacking when Riley took over, but I am sick of the talk of "wait another year or two".

I understand the talent and depth was lacking when Riley took over, but I am sick of the talk of "wait another year or two".

I honestly just *hate* saying this, but we weren't going to do anything in Indy with Tommy at the helm. Winning the division is much, much better than not winning the division. But this is transition football still. It's the nature of transition football.

But, there was an opportunity to say "let's try to fix this year and play the young guys" during the bye week. Instead, Riley and Cav tried to gamble and use walk-ons.

I understand that Riley is trying to play the long game, but I wish he would also focus on this year, because there was a strong opportunity to win at least the division. I understand the talent and depth was lacking when Riley took over, but I am sick of the talk of "wait another year or two".

I hear ya and I am too. But its a about measuring the risk versus the reward. We could play those young guys sure but throwing freshmen into the fire at Wisconsin and at OSU is just not a great idea. A lot of these guys need this year work on technique and fundamentals to that they can play at that level and at least hold their own. Both of those teams feature multi year starters who know all the tricks of their trade and know their schemes inside and out while our kids are still learning it all.

If any one of them where good enough to play year one they would be right now. But they all need a little more development.

• Fire 1