Offensive Line and the Offense

If you look closely, Tommy's production began dropping and the running game really began struggling at the same time our offensive linemen began getting injured. Farmer has a high ankle sprain, the same injury Taylor Martinez had that hampered him a half of season. David Knevel has the same. Gates is playing on a bad ankle.

Utter is the only starting offensive lineman we have healthy.

We are starting 3 walkons. Utter, Conrad, Hahn.

Out of our projected starting 5 offensive linemen going into the season, we have lost 4 to injury. Gates, Foster, Farmer, Knevel.

If you watch the offensive line in the Ohio state game, their mobility and lower body strength is significantly limited. They are consistently beat and often times even take the wrong direction to block. They are slower getting up (ankles). Conrad, a walk on, is a significant drop off from the starters in athletic ability. Whitaker is a drop off as well. He hardly saw the field until now.

Behind those 8 (gates, foster, utter, farmer, knevel, Hahn, Whittaker, Conrad) we have no guys Cav feels are well equipped enough to play right now. The question becomes, why? Why do we not have depth? Why are highly touted 4star guys like Barnett not even mentioned? The fans see that the offensive line is not blocking for the running backs to have holes. They aren't pass protecting long enough for Tommy to have time to go through his reads. Langsdorf can call any play he wants but our o-line can not protect or open up holes right now. This is why you see our backs looking so bad and Tommy's production dropping. Not to mention, Cethan Carter's injury has set the tight end spot back.

Yes Knevel is playing, but he's not healthy. We are desperate on the o-line right now. So desperate we play the injured guys over the healthy ones because even with limited mobility they are better options than the other guys on the team.

What we see is this... Barney Cotton missed in his recruiting on our Junior and Senior classes. Zack Hannon, Dwayne Johnson haven't seen the field. Paul Thurston transferred. Corey Whittaker and Davis Knevel are the only recruited scholarship upperclassmen we have that have played. Utter, Conrad, & Hahn were Walkons and many felt neither had the athletic ability to play against the top of the big 10. So Cav walked into a mess. Alex Lewis was brought in as a transfer because Cotton had missed on earlier classes as well. Think about it. Cab walks In and the cubbard was bare.

Cav has a lot of young talent on the team. Sophomores - Foster, Farmer, and Gates are all great players when healthy. They seem to be panning out and developing well. Redshirt Freshmen - Gaylord is going to be good. He needs to get tougher and needs this year to grow. He's too young right now and still learning the system. Barnett - has all the talent in the world, but the dude loves to eat and can't get his weight down to play. He's gotta get in playing shape or he's going to get pushed around out there. Decker - he was coming on strong and then missed the whole summer. It set him back tremendously. It is said he has some personal reasons for missing and needs to catch up. The coaches think he has a bright future but he's still a little young and this year he isn't quite ready. Freshmen -

Brokop, Farnoik, Raridon, and Wilson. The experts think Raridon will be a starting center within 2 years and is That good. Wilson is a good guard, good enough to be considered as a true freshman contender. Farniok is expected to beat out Knevel for the RT spot next year, because Knevel just isn't that good. He consistently gets beat. Brokop is the only one I haven't heard much about yet. He may need a couple years.

So what we're seeing right now is a beat up o-line, with very few upperclassmen contribution, playing injured because we have no soph/junior/senior depth due to the previous staff's recruiting misses/lack of development. That's not on Cav.

Next year we should have

LT - Gates, Gaylord

LG - Foster, Wilson

C - Raridon, Decker

RG - Farmer, Barnett

RT - Farniok, Knevel

Not to mention if we land a Foster Sarrell he could start immediately at tackle or guard. Some of these other highly regarded west coast tackles we're going after could be immediate contributors as well.

So all this to say. We can't blame Danny Langsdorf for play calling when there's no blocking for plays. We can't blame the Running backs or Reggie Davis when the RB is hit as he gets the handoff, before he can even look for a hole. He has no chance to do his job. We can't blame Tommy when he has to flee the pocket 1 second after the snap and has 3 guys in his face while he's trying to see the field. We literally have to play compromised players on the O-Line because there's no one else to play. All we have are freshmen and redshirt freshmen, who aren't ready yet.

• Fire 6

I think the hype of Barnett may have been based more on potential than anything. The practices leading up to and during the UA ASG he played in, it was noted how he struggled against his peers. Mav had a post critiquing what he witnessed during the game, which could explain what's happening at NU. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink.

I think the hype of Barnett may have been based more on potential than anything. The practices leading up to and during the UA ASG he played in, it was noted how he struggled against his peers. Mav had a post critiquing what he witnessed during the game, which could explain what's happening at NU. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink.

well he's from the same school as Will Shields, so what the hell man?..............

If you want to sell out former coaches for current ones, you should be listing garrison over cotton. But I get that cotton is a fun target for many.

Reality is, compared to most other teams, NU had recruited quite well on the OL. And the walkons don't suck as much as armchair folks pretend.

That's fair. but it's also fair to say that it's no where near the level it needs to be. it's the worse position group of this team right now. Not even close.

If you want to sell out former coaches for current ones, you should be listing garrison over cotton. But I get that cotton is a fun target for many.

Reality is, compared to most other teams, NU had recruited quite well on the OL. And the walkons don't suck as much as armchair folks pretend.

That's fair. but it's also fair to say that it's no where near the level it needs to be. it's the worse position group of this team right now. Not even close.

And yet it's not a bad position group in comparison to most other teams. It's not our players' fault if Cavanaugh is an average, at best, developer of talent. We have guys who are highly recruited athletes available but sitting.

If you can't win with this roster of OLmen, then you have some problems. Because NU isn't going to suddenly get massively better across the line.

I just don't get why these coaches are cut so much slack - they are .500 guys doing what they've always done, but people are quicker to throw our guys under the bus than to consider that maybe, just maybe, coaching deficiencies are as much to blame for a lack of production.

And yet it's not a bad position group in comparison to most other teams. It's not our players' fault if Cavanaugh is an average, at best, developer of talent. We have guys who are highly recruited athletes available but sitting.

If you can't win with this roster of OLmen, then you have some problems. Because NU isn't going to suddenly get massively better across the line.

I just don't get why these coaches are cut so much slack - they are .500 guys doing what they've always done, but people are quicker to throw our guys under the bus than to consider that maybe, just maybe, coaching deficiencies are as much to blame for a lack of production.

Theyre cut no more slack than Bo was ony 1.5 seasons in. So dont go there. There's STILL ppl trying to cut Bo slack (you). so dont even start bucko. These guys will get their 4 years of honeymoon, then it's fair to begin the juding process. But let em build. "give him more time" 7 frickin years. Give me a break. 4 days ago some folks were doing the cart-before the-horse playoff talk. Wait till this season finishes out before we make kneejerk assumptions.

• Fire 1

well he's from the same school as Will Shields, so what the hell man?..............

Now that you mention it, I do recall that to be the case, but your point must have flown over my head. From Mavs critique of bad footwork and tidbits I've picked up on since he arrived on campus, he isn't doing the things needed to see the field.

If they're bringing in about 4 OL every class, just hit on at least 50% of them and over time the depth will be established. Cav had a great class last year and they are working on some big fish again this year. Let these guys grow up through the system and we will have depth at OL like we haven't seen for years. And that is just scholarship guys, I'll bank on a special walk on like Spencer Long coming along every 3-5 years too. Like the OP is saying, give the staff a chance to get things in place.

So all this to say. We can't blame Danny Langsdorf for play calling when there's no blocking for plays. We can't blame the Running backs or Reggie Davis when the RB is hit as he gets the handoff, before he can even look for a hole. He has no chance to do his job. We can't blame Tommy when he has to flee the pocket 1 second after the snap and has 3 guys in his face while he's trying to see the field. We literally have to play compromised players on the O-Line because there's no one else to play. All we have are freshmen and redshirt freshmen, who aren't ready yet.

I agree about the fact that the bad OL blocking limits the ability for Tommy to scramble or an outside run. But, the playcalling has still been atrocious. Langs should be able to see that and call more plays that are suitable for the situation.

Now that you mention it, I do recall that to be the case, but your point must have flown over my head. From Mavs critique of bad footwork and tidbits I've picked up on since he arrived on campus, he isn't doing the things needed to see the field.

If they're bringing in about 4 OL every class, just hit on at least 50% of them and over time the depth will be established. Cav had a great class last year and they are working on some big fish again this year. Let these guys grow up through the system and we will have depth at OL like we haven't seen for years. And that is just scholarship guys, I'll bank on a special walk on like Spencer Long coming along every 3-5 years too. Like the OP is saying, give the staff a chance to get things in place.

CM says we have plenty of talent on oline to win. I agree. We're 7-2...............

• Fire 1

CM says we have plenty of talent on oline to win. I agree. We're 7-2...............
I mean we have enough talent to be 7-2 and even 8-1 through this point, but they aren't world beaters yet and asinine to think we should be better than what we are given the reality of what has happened this year and what Riley and Cav are trying to establish for future success.
  • Fire 1

I mean we have enough talent to be 7-2 and even 8-1 through this point, but they aren't world beaters yet and asinine to think we should be better than what we are given the reality of what has happened this year and what Riley and Cav are trying to establish for future success.

I know. It's just funny how he states it. he states it as if we're 2-7. "we have plenty to win". Like we're not winning.

• Fire 2

If you look closely, Tommy's production began dropping and the running game really began struggling at the same time our offensive linemen began getting injured. Farmer has a high ankle sprain, the same injury Taylor Martinez had that hampered him a half of season. David Knevel has the same. Gates is playing on a bad ankle.

Utter is the only starting offensive lineman we have healthy.

We are starting 3 walkons. Utter, Conrad, Hahn.

Out of our projected starting 5 offensive linemen going into the season, we have lost 4 to injury. Gates, Foster, Farmer, Knevel.

If you watch the offensive line in the Ohio state game, their mobility and lower body strength is significantly limited. They are consistently beat and often times even take the wrong direction to block. They are slower getting up (ankles). Conrad, a walk on, is a significant drop off from the starters in athletic ability. Whitaker is a drop off as well. He hardly saw the field until now.

Behind those 8 (gates, foster, utter, farmer, knevel, Hahn, Whittaker, Conrad) we have no guys Cav feels are well equipped enough to play right now. The question becomes, why? Why do we not have depth? Why are highly touted 4star guys like Barnett not even mentioned? The fans see that the offensive line is not blocking for the running backs to have holes. They aren't pass protecting long enough for Tommy to have time to go through his reads. Langsdorf can call any play he wants but our o-line can not protect or open up holes right now. This is why you see our backs looking so bad and Tommy's production dropping. Not to mention, Cethan Carter's injury has set the tight end spot back.

Yes Knevel is playing, but he's not healthy. We are desperate on the o-line right now. So desperate we play the injured guys over the healthy ones because even with limited mobility they are better options than the other guys on the team.

What we see is this... Barney Cotton missed in his recruiting on our Junior and Senior classes. Zack Hannon, Dwayne Johnson haven't seen the field. Paul Thurston transferred. Corey Whittaker and Davis Knevel are the only recruited scholarship upperclassmen we have that have played. Utter, Conrad, & Hahn were Walkons and many felt neither had the athletic ability to play against the top of the big 10. So Cav walked into a mess. Alex Lewis was brought in as a transfer because Cotton had missed on earlier classes as well. Think about it. Cab walks In and the cubbard was bare.

Cav has a lot of young talent on the team. Sophomores - Foster, Farmer, and Gates are all great players when healthy. They seem to be panning out and developing well. Redshirt Freshmen - Gaylord is going to be good. He needs to get tougher and needs this year to grow. He's too young right now and still learning the system. Barnett - has all the talent in the world, but the dude loves to eat and can't get his weight down to play. He's gotta get in playing shape or he's going to get pushed around out there. Decker - he was coming on strong and then missed the whole summer. It set him back tremendously. It is said he has some personal reasons for missing and needs to catch up. The coaches think he has a bright future but he's still a little young and this year he isn't quite ready. Freshmen -

Brokop, Farnoik, Raridon, and Wilson. The experts think Raridon will be a starting center within 2 years and is That good. Wilson is a good guard, good enough to be considered as a true freshman contender. Farniok is expected to beat out Knevel for the RT spot next year, because Knevel just isn't that good. He consistently gets beat. Brokop is the only one I haven't heard much about yet. He may need a couple years.

So what we're seeing right now is a beat up o-line, with very few upperclassmen contribution, playing injured because we have no soph/junior/senior depth due to the previous staff's recruiting misses/lack of development. That's not on Cav.

Next year we should have

LT - Gates, Gaylord

LG - Foster, Wilson

C - Raridon, Decker

RG - Farmer, Barnett

RT - Farniok, Knevel

Not to mention if we land a Foster Sarrell he could start immediately at tackle or guard. Some of these other highly regarded west coast tackles we're going after could be immediate contributors as well.

I like this post a lot. I think it's also worth noting that this staff seems committed to getting our program back on track. So much of what we've seen recently is tFR playing because of need. As such we lost a year of development and end up over and over again in this cycle of our top end talent not being where we want it. I think we as fans knew this year wasn't going to be amazing. No one expected what just occurred, but we knew our lines were questionable. I'm happy with how we've done this year, I think we can realistically finish as a 2 or 3 loss team (it'll be ugly, but i think we can do it). However, we're getting to the point where the future is looking brighter.

Our DL recruiting this year is hugely better than what we've done in recent years. The Davis twins are great, but the rest of the recruiting has been lack luster for awhile. Our OL has 2 tFR who could've started this year. We have good depth at RB and WR sticking around, we're good at LB and our secondary will still be stacked even without Gerry. We also have reason to be optimistic at QB.

This was the rough year and we've done well with what we have.