Offensive Line and the Offense

So all this to say. We can't blame Danny Langsdorf for play calling when there's no blocking for plays. We can't blame the Running backs or Reggie Davis when the RB is hit as he gets the handoff, before he can even look for a hole. He has no chance to do his job. We can't blame Tommy when he has to flee the pocket 1 second after the snap and has 3 guys in his face while he's trying to see the field. We literally have to play compromised players on the O-Line because there's no one else to play. All we have are freshmen and redshirt freshmen, who aren't ready yet.

I agree about the fact that the bad OL blocking limits the ability for Tommy to scramble or an outside run. But, the playcalling has still been atrocious. Langs should be able to see that and call more plays that are suitable for the situation.

Please provide 3 suitable plays that work for our current OL situation (1 starter out for season - 3 others injured - mostly underclassmen that haven't developed YET)

This discussion hits many of my concerns with just 'where are the second and third string linemen that I have asked. But still, we have as many as 5 or so missing from the 'two deep' and another half dozen or so that freshmen and obviously not good enough to play even at the level we are now watching the 'starters' are playing at. There should be about 4 (four) deep across the offensive line spots (20 plus a couple decent walk ons or so). That suggests to me that we are still missing about 5 or so that are seemingly missing somewhere.

Do we have far too many 'other' players who may be darn good athletes and good 'football players' but just don't really fit in at any given position. Maybe we have too many 'tweeners' that are not really big and strong enough to play Def tackle or offensive guard/tackle but are not fast enough to play defensive end or tight end. Do we have half a dozen 4th string level receivers and tight ends and fullback types that are just not really up to the job of being the starting fullback or tight end? These guys who are 6-3 and 235 lbs but not fast enough to play linebacker and not quite big enough to be a blocking tight end? We simply may have 20 or 30 guys that are hard working unrated or 2 or 3 stars 'athletes' that are getting letters as special teams guys. Obviously, we are not playing top ten level special teams (Drew Brown being the obvious exception). Our kick off and kick return teams are not performing at a high enough level, nor are the punt and punt return teams. Do we have too many 'contributors' out there who are not ready for prime time players although the play hard, work harder than most, have all the Husker heart and desire, etc etc but just aren't 2nd and third string players just waiting their turn to 'reload'. I wonder?

So all this to say. We can't blame Danny Langsdorf for play calling when there's no blocking for plays. We can't blame the Running backs or Reggie Davis when the RB is hit as he gets the handoff, before he can even look for a hole. He has no chance to do his job. We can't blame Tommy when he has to flee the pocket 1 second after the snap and has 3 guys in his face while he's trying to see the field. We literally have to play compromised players on the O-Line because there's no one else to play. All we have are freshmen and redshirt freshmen, who aren't ready yet.

I agree about the fact that the bad OL blocking limits the ability for Tommy to scramble or an outside run. But, the playcalling has still been atrocious. Langs should be able to see that and call more plays that are suitable for the situation.

Please provide 3 suitable plays that work for our current OL situation (1 starter out for season - 3 others injured - mostly underclassmen that haven't developed YET)

A screen can be performed with an average OL. I haven't been seeing many screens lately despite the fact that those normally work decently well for us. I'm not a coach, so I can't name a whole ton more, but I am sure there are quite a few.

A screen can be performed with an average OL. I haven't been seeing many screens lately despite the fact that those normally work decently well for us. I'm not a coach, so I can't name a whole ton more, but I am sure there are quite a few.

Have you seen TA throw screen passes?

You don't get credit for getting a .700+ program "back on track" when you ran them off the rails to begin with.

So...it is OK to trash our coaches?

It's definitely more acceptable to be critical of paid professionals, yes.

Hey....I've been preached to for two years now about how horrible it is to even say a peep that is bad about Bo and company. God forbid we would ever be critical of him.

So....I thought that rule probably carried forward. Guess not???

PS....it just dawned on me. The difference is that even though Bo was paid....he wasn't professional. Is that it? You have to be both "paid" and "professional".

Haha - like I said, you're a funny guy.

I would bet that CM was one of us (I say us, cuz i was too) that wanted to give the real meh 2013 season a mulligan for Bo cuz of all the injuries. Funny how he dont wanna go there for this groups. so frickin double standard. Year 6 vs year 2.

As I've written numerous times, I'm not calling for Riley's head, even after the OSU game. I've even said that a 9-3 season would be solid - I'll go back and try to find the exact language since I'm sure people will call me out on whether I'm recalling my quotes precisely. 10-2 would be above expectations. Hell, I think 10-2 could even gets us into the CCG considering how awful Wisconsin is offensively. And that would be great.

But, injuries don't justify the OSU outcome. And it's fair to question our performance against weaker teams, even in wins, from earlier this season.

And more than anything I'm sick and tired of people claiming that it's all about bad talent. NU does not have bad talent. No one was claiming that the talent was awful prior to this season. Injuries happen every year. This roster is not so thin that it shouldn't have been able to absorb some injuries. It's like last year when people tried to invent a narrative that NU was less talented than Purdue. Come the f#*k on. Same with the notion that we are so bad this year that 62-3 is on the players and not really on the coaches.

It's the Callahan excuses at the expense of our players all over again.

If NU finishes this season 9-3, I'll be good with that accomplishment. If they

By the way, similarly to your post, if you were one of the many who blamed bad S&C for injuries under Pelini, are you and those people now blaming the new S&C for all of the soft tissue injuries? Or would you blame Cav for failing to substitute, which puts a kid in a more likely fatigued position and susceptible to injury?

Bo lover logic when Bo was coach: rail on Callahan. bo had to rebuild it. give him more time

Bo lover logic after bo: Bo is gone. Let it go. quit bringing him up. Fire Riley after 2 years. it's not Bo's fault.

So many strawmen, so little time, but the second bold is ridiculous because I haven't seen anyone all for Riley to be fired this year. The first bold is unfounded because very few had to spend time railing on Callahan because Bo actually took his roster and started producing immediately. A roster, by the way, that had multiple walkons starting during the season.

But, let's just put it out there that Bo left Riley a much better program than Callahan left Bo. And anyone who argues otherwise is either clueless or a revisionist.

And personally, I'd be happy to stop talking about Bo if people would stop pooping on the kids who volunteered to put on Husker Red.

well, we ran the ball with our IBs pretty effectively against OSU.

but I doubt our line will get any credit for that.

and don't confused hurt, which everyone is at this point in a season, with injured.

I would bet that CM was one of us (I say us, cuz i was too) that wanted to give the real meh 2013 season a mulligan for Bo cuz of all the injuries. Funny how he dont wanna go there for this groups. so frickin double standard. Year 6 vs year 2.

As I've written numerous times, I'm not calling for Riley's head, even after the OSU game. I've even said that a 9-3 season would be solid - I'll go back and try to find the exact language since I'm sure people will call me out on whether I'm recalling my quotes precisely. 10-2 would be above expectations. Hell, I think 10-2 could even gets us into the CCG considering how awful Wisconsin is offensively. And that would be great.

But, injuries don't justify the OSU outcome. And it's fair to question our performance against weaker teams, even in wins, from earlier this season.

And more than anything I'm sick and tired of people claiming that it's all about bad talent. NU does not have bad talent. No one was claiming that the talent was awful prior to this season. Injuries happen every year. This roster is not so thin that it shouldn't have been able to absorb some injuries. It's like last year when people tried to invent a narrative that NU was less talented than Purdue. Come the f#*k on. Same with the notion that we are so bad this year that 62-3 is on the players and not really on the coaches.

It's the Callahan excuses at the expense of our players all over again.

If NU finishes this season 9-3, I'll be good with that accomplishment. If they

By the way, similarly to your post, if you were one of the many who blamed bad S&C for injuries under Pelini, are you and those people now blaming the new S&C for all of the soft tissue injuries? Or would you blame Cav for failing to substitute, which puts a kid in a more likely fatigued position and susceptible to injury?

I blamed the S&C under Pelini cuz it was a f'ing joke. Not because of the injuries. Injuries happen. Part of the game. I did partake in discussions about the possibility cuz is just seemed like we were suffering more than others. But never really knew what to think about it.

If Ohio st was gonna handle us anyway (which most expected just now, and before the season), then yeah, injuries can make it a lot worse.

i dont recall folks saying we were less talented than Purdue. If so, that's pretty bad for anyone to say. Certainly wasnt me. All I ever said was most of our guys didnt give a flying f#*k that day, with about 3 1/2 hours of tape to back it up.

• Fire 1

Bo lover logic when Bo was coach: rail on Callahan. bo had to rebuild it. give him more time

Bo lover logic after bo: Bo is gone. Let it go. quit bringing him up. Fire Riley after 2 years. it's not Bo's fault.

So many strawmen, so little time, but the second bold is ridiculous because I haven't seen anyone all for Riley to be fired this year. The first bold is unfounded because very few had to spend time railing on Callahan because Bo actually took his roster and started producing immediately. A roster, by the way, that had multiple walkons starting during the season.

But, let's just put it out there that Bo left Riley a much better program than Callahan left Bo. And anyone who argues otherwise is either clueless or a revisionist.

And personally, I'd be happy to stop talking about Bo if people would stop pooping on the kids who volunteered to put on Husker Red.

so defensive. this wasnt directed at you (or only you, since you obvioulsy feel the need to immediately defend yourself).

well, we ran the ball with our IBs pretty effectively against OSU.

but I doubt our line will get any credit for that.

and don't confused hurt, which everyone is at this point in a season, with injured.

3.3 per carry..................

Shall we go to the tape when the game was still in question, or just the first half?

The OP does a good job explaining what many have been saying for awhile now to those who don't get it, many morons need to read this thread. To add on to the Op's remarks about not dropping this at Langsdorfs feet I agree completely. Langsdorf has even said that the more complex Run plays have been shelved due to the issues and injuries on the O-Line.

The bare bones offense we see this year is the result of all these injuries. The future is bright for us at this spot. But we will have to wait another year or two before we see it all come together.

But, there was an opportunity to say "let's try to fix this year and play the young guys" during the bye week. Instead, Riley and Cav tried to gamble and use walk-ons.

I understand that Riley is trying to play the long game, but I wish he would also focus on this year, because there was a strong opportunity to win at least the division. I understand the talent and depth was lacking when Riley took over, but I am sick of the talk of "wait another year or two".

Has he said or intimated that? Because my sense is that Cav is starting who he thinks gives NU the best chance to win. The w/o's are further along right now - probably mainly based on pass pro, which is the most important factor for playtime with this staff when referring to the OL and running backs.

If it is really a "long game" approach, I think it's crazy and unfair to not play players that could help this team win now. Unless a player isn't ready to play or has specifically requested to redshirt (highly unlikely), they should be playing if they give the Huskers the best chance to be successful.