Dems Rebuild

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

They explain how in that video. Basically push through the House bill which was the same funding but had guarantees on how the money had to be spent. Then get on the news everyday and talk about how the Republicans and Trump won't pass a bill that gets mattresses, blankets, toothpaste, and soap to children. Instead Pelosi pushes her caucus to pass a Republican bill that has nothing but vague promises from the Trump admin about how the money will be spent. 

If the Dems want to lose more elections, voting in Republican bills without even a smidgen of compromise is one way to do it. Why did voters even bother turning out in 2018 if the Dems won't even use the majority they were given? 

I agree, but the Senate and particularly Schumer being awful doesn't make Pelosi any better. 

The bolded makes me think you misunderstand the composition of the Dems caucus in the House.

There were more moderate Dems who WANTED this bill passed than progressives who hated it. That's a bit of an ideological truth we've got to quarrel with.

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

The bolded makes me think you misunderstand the composition of the Dems caucus in the House.

There were more moderate Dems who WANTED this bill passed than progressives who hated it. That's a bit of an ideological truth we've got to quarrel with.

Then my same criticisms extend to those Dems as well. But we'll never know how they'd have voted if Pelosi had pushed a different bill.

But my point is what Pelosi was doing as the leader. She was pushing for the Republican bill to pass. She (and the others who pushed for the bill) believe that the Trump admin and the Repubs will honor their vague words about how the money will be spent. Does anyone think that's a good idea or a winning strategy? It's some combination of stupidity, naivete, and laziness.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Then my same criticisms extend to those Dems as well. But we'll never know how they'd have voted if Pelosi had pushed a different bill.

But my point is what Pelosi was doing as the leader. She was pushing for the Republican bill to pass. She (and the others who pushed for the bill) believe that the Trump admin and the Repubs will honor their vague words about how the money will be spent. Does anyone think that's a good idea or a winning strategy? It's some combination of stupidity, naivete, and laziness. 

Pelosi didn't push to pass this bill. The caucus as a whole decided they wanted to pass it and almost all Republicans in the House voted for it. You're blaming the wrong people.

6 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Pelosi didn't push to pass this bill. The caucus as a whole decided they wanted to pass it and almost all Republicans in the House voted for it. You're blaming the wrong people.

House passes border funding bill after Pelosi reversal outrages progressives

By pushing the legislation across the finish line, Pelosi demonstrated a willingness to defy the progressive wing of her party

Pelosi folded after getting assurances from Mike Pence. #leadership

If you want to also blame others, like the right-wing of the Dem party, then by all means do that as well. But none of them are the House Majority Leader.

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

House passes border funding bill after Pelosi reversal outrages progressives

Pelosi folded after getting assurances from Mike Pence. #leadership 

If you want to also blame others, like the right-wing of the Dem party, then by all means do that as well. But none of them are the House Majority Leader. 

Agree to disagree, man.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Thats because moderate dems are republican light and do whatever republicans and their donors say. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Thats because moderate dems are republican light and do whatever republicans and their donors say. 

And people wonder why more people aren't moderate.  I'll never understand why certain sides need to criticize or attack the people who are more moderate from that side.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And people wonder why more people aren't moderate.  I'll never understand why certain sides need to criticize or attack the people who are more moderate from that side.

Being called "moderates" doesn't actually make it true.

I think some of this stems from the way we discuss politics on a single line from left to right. People are way more complicated than that one dimensional categorization. And being between the left and right doesn't mean that's somehow better or correct or moderate.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Being called "moderates" doesn't actually make it true.

I think some of this stems from the way we discuss politics on a single line from left to right. People are way more complicated than that one dimensional categorization. And being between the left and right doesn't mean that's somehow better or correct or moderate.

Sure....I know my way of thinking is what everyone should think.  I couldn't care less if it's on a two dimensional straight line between left and right.

• 2 months later...