Dems Rebuild

• 1 month later...

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

:facepalm:

Of Course Joe Biden Supported a Republican in a $200K Speech

It wouldn't have been so bad had Biden endorsed the Democrat in that race, but he refused to do so.

1.  He didn't endorse or support the Republican for the election.  He said some nice things about him.  That shouldn't be a crime.

2.  He didn't endorse or support the Democrat for the election, hopefully with good reason.  That shouldn't be a crime either.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

1.  He didn't endorse or support the Republican for the election.  He said some nice things about him.  That shouldn't be a crime.

2.  He didn't endorse or support the Democrat for the election, hopefully with good reason.  That shouldn't be a crime either.

Nobody has said it's a crime, so that's a weird non sequitur. Biden endorsed 135 other Dem candidates but (after getting paid $250k for a speech in support of the Republican candidate) refused to support the Dem candidate without any reasons (like a difference in policy for example). I think this will be a huge problem for Biden in the Dem primaries if he decides to run.

51 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

:facepalm:

Of Course Joe Biden Supported a Republican in a $200K Speech

It wouldn't have been so bad had Biden endorsed the Democrat in that race, but he refused to do so.

I don't necessarily have a problem with this (without knowing anything about the specific candidates in that particular case). Even though the GOP is a dumpster fire in totality, it doesn't mean that every Democrat deserves endorsement, and it doesn't mean that every Republican should automatically be vilified.

• Plus1 3

45 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't necessarily have a problem with this (without knowing anything about the specific candidates in that particular case). Even though the GOP is a dumpster fire in totality, it doesn't mean that every Democrat deserves endorsement, and it doesn't mean that every Republican should automatically be vilified.

Well, I have a huge issue with someone that wants to be the Presidential nominee for their party but helps an opposition candidate that voted with Trump (88.8%) and the Repub party line and, despite Biden praising his record on cancer, voted in favor of repealing the ACA every single time along with a bunch of other votes to strip people of healthcare.

Plus you're ignoring the elephant in the room: Biden took $250k to give that speech.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Well, I have a huge issue with someone that wants to be the Presidential nominee for their party but helps an opposition candidate that voted with Trump (88.8%) and the Repub party line and, despite Biden praising his record on cancer, voted in favor of repealing the ACA every single time along with a bunch of other votes to strip people of healthcare.

Plus you're ignoring the elephant in the room: Biden took $250k to give that speech.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on these specific concerns. My prior statement was more theoretical. 

Now, If you offer me $250k to say nice things about you even if you are in an opposing party, I will probably do it. I'm not planning to run for president though. I'm personally hoping that Biden doesn't run either.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Welcome to party politics. 

Biden is and has always been a moderate guy that heavily believes in bipartisanship. When he was VP I believe he was a big fan of cutting deals with McConnell and considers him a personal friend. That chumminess is way more common in the Senate than we tend to realize.

If he gets the nomination it's just going to be part of the package.

I really liked the way I heard this phrased the other day, though: The next Democratic president needs to enter office knowing the GOP wants them to fail. Not to complete discourage bipartisanship, but realizing and accepting that day 1 is essential.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Biden is and has always been a moderate guy that heavily believes in bipartisanship. When he was VP I believe he was a big fan of cutting deals with McConnell and considers him a personal friend. That chumminess is way more common in the Senate than we tend to realize.

If he gets the nomination it's just going to be part of the package.

I really liked the way I heard this phrased the other day, though: The next Democratic president needs to enter office knowing the GOP wants them to fail. Not to complete discourage bipartisanship, but realizing and accepting that day 1 is essential.

And I think that's going to be a problem for getting the nomination. IMO Biden is still living in the 90's when Republicans and Democrats could compromise, but now figures like McConnell aren't willing to compromise and often lie and renege on their promises, and I fear Biden will succumb to them.

But I think the bigger issue for Biden will be money in politics and supporting a Republican candidate during the Trump era and while Dems were striving for a blue wave midterm.

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

And I think that's going to be a problem for getting the nomination. IMO Biden is still living in the 90's when Republicans and Democrats could compromise, but now figures like McConnell aren't willing to compromise and often lie and renege on their promises, and I fear Biden will succumb to them.

But I think the bigger issue for Biden will be money in politics and supporting a Republican candidate during the Trump era and while Dems were striving for a blue wave midterm. 

I share your concerns, but I fear you underestimate the broadness of support amongst various voting blocs within the Dem electorate.

But maybe you're right and he'll drop like a rock when the actual primary season begins. I wonder who led the GOP field in the run up to Iowa in 2016?

If Biden is eventually it, he's going to have to set friendship aside and realize McConnell cares much, much more about doing what's best for the GOP than their relationship. Obama didn't initially, and it took him awhile before he caught on how deeply the malice for him within the Republican Party ran.

I actually applaud his attempts at bipartisanship, but it was never going to succeed.

This is an interesting conundrum for the Dems. They're probably going to have to be pretty progressive to stand out among the primary crowd and actually win the nomination, but a pivot back to the center in the general seems likely.

Stuff like this is why I think someone like Bernie could falter in a general election. Usually if you don't even try to appeal to moderates you get blown out. But maybe people would decide Trump is a dumpster fire bad enough that they'd vote for a sincere, honest leftist anyway, who knows.

The Pew Research Center found earlier this month that a majority of Democrats and Dem-leaning independents — 54 percent — want to see Democratic leaders in Washington moving in a more moderate direction, while 40 percent favor a more liberal one.

6 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

This is an interesting conundrum for the Dems. They're probably going to have to be pretty progressive to stand out among the primary crowd and actually win the nomination, but a pivot back to the center in the general seems likely.

Stuff like this is why I think someone like Bernie could falter in a general election. Usually if you don't even try to appeal to moderates you get blown out. But maybe people would decide Trump is a dumpster fire bad enough that they'd vote for a sincere, honest leftist anyway, who knows.

It'll be interesting to see if that continues to hold or if there's another swing from moderate to liberal during the next Dem Presidential primary like 2016. Voters are also becoming more polarized, which could mean there's less to be gained electorally by moving towards the center.

FT_17.10.20_polarization_DemRep.png

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

It'll be interesting to see if that continues to hold or if there's another swing from moderate to liberal during the next Dem Presidential primary like 2016. Voters are also becoming more polarized, which could mean there's less to be gained electorally by moving towards the center.

FT_17.10.20_polarization_DemRep.png

That pretty much explains why Republicans are alarmed because the Dems are so liberal and the Dems are so alarmed that the Repubs are so conservative.

Very few people from each party is actually in the middle.  I think you will find the reason for that in the numbers of voters who now aren't associated with either party.

So, it's not necessarily that each voter has become more liberal or conservative.  It's that the center voters of each party have left.

• 2 weeks later...