Dems Rebuild

It's one poll, so we have to take this with a large grain of salt...

But nonetheless, these are some very decent numbers for Dems in the Upper Midwest. It appears they haven't completely deflected to Trump's GOP just yet.

Those WI Gov numbers are a beautiful thing. Scott Walker is a douche canoe. It looks like Wisconsin is tired of him jerking them around.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

It's one poll, so we have to take this with a large grain of salt...

But nonetheless, these are some very decent numbers for Dems in the Upper Midwest. It appears they haven't completely deflected to Trump's GOP just yet.

Those WI Gov numbers are a beautiful thing. Scott Walker is a douche canoe. It looks like Wisconsin is tired of him jerking them around.

Unfortunately those are already shaded blue on the maps I look at, so you just got me excited over nothing!

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Title says it all (some discussion of Nebraska 2nd district towards the end):

I live in West Omaha.  I've yet to see Eastman or Reybould make an appearance out here.  I know neither of them marched in the Elkhorn Days Parade, and I didn't see them at Gretna Days this weekend (granted, I left about 3/4 the way through.  But I've asked 2 people that watched it all and they said they weren't there).  I was talking to my neighbor who apparently would be a Democratic voter because he was complaining about Trump and Bacon's support for him.  His exact words to me were "I just wish there was someone running against him."  I support the D candidates, but I will say I'm disappointed with their general election campaigns.

Edit: I know there is much more to campaigning than parades.  But it is an issue when people west of 168th St. don't know you exist.  The 2nd district needs more than minorities and women to win.

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I live in West Omaha.  I've yet to see Eastman or Reybould make an appearance out here.  I know neither of them marched in the Elkhorn Days Parade, and I didn't see them at Gretna Days this weekend (granted, I left about 3/4 the way through.  But I've asked 2 people that watched it all and they said they weren't there).  I was talking to my neighbor who apparently would be a Democratic voter because he was complaining about Trump and Bacon's support for him.  His exact words to me were "I just wish there was someone running against him."  I support the D candidates, but I will say I'm disappointed with their general election campaigns.

Edit: I know there is much more to campaigning than parades.  But it is an issue when people west of 168th St. don't know you exist.  The 2nd district needs more than minorities and women to win.

I'll have to take your word for it. I don't follow Nebraska politics except what I read on this board. It'll be interesting to see if the candidates address any of your critiques leading up to the general.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'll have to take your word for it. I don't follow Nebraska politics except what I read on this board. It'll be interesting to see if the candidates address any of your critiques leading up to the general.

I plan on contacting both tomorrow and picking up some yard signs.  I've also mentioned this to a "blue wave" group on Facebook and they have similar feelings.  As of now, I'm not really counting on any seats changing in Nebraska.  The energy from both Candidates seems to be gone, even though supporters still seem energized: at least from the things I see.

I think the Democrat and progressive agendas have much more in common than many are admitting, I just think the centrists are more realistic as far as what can actually be accomplished .

I remember being young and idealistic , my way or the highway, overthrow everything and do it right , type of mentality like many young progressives , but as I grew older and wiser I understood it’s not that easy . Effective and lasting change will come by electing qualified candidates, who know how to navigate the tangled web that our political system has become, and get things done, one step at a time . 

While I share some of the fire of the young progressives I just don’t think that sweeping , overthrow the government type of thinking is going to work . There is too much money at stake and too many powerful people controlling everything to allow that . 

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I think the Democrat and progressive agendas have much more in common than many are admitting, I just think the centrists are more realistic as far as what can actually be accomplished .

I remember being young and idealistic , my way or the highway, overthrow everything and do it right , type of mentality like many young progressives , but as I grew older and wiser I understood it’s not that easy . Effective and lasting change will come by electing qualified candidates, who know how to navigate the tangled web that our political system has become, and get things done, one step at a time . 

While I share some of the fire of the young progressives I just don’t think that sweeping , overthrow the government type of thinking is going to work . There is too much money at stake and too many powerful people controlling everything to allow that . 

The centrists however are uniquely bad at politics losing over 1000 seats at state and federal levels in the last decade. Why in the world should anyone listen to the same centrists tell us which policies to support, which candidates are "electable", or how to run campaigns?

Getting elected and being good at politics are two different things . Donald trump is a prime example . He conned enough people into electing him, but he’s terrible at politics . I think seats were lost because too many people vote based on hate , hype , propaganda , religious bias  etc that Fox , Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones types are eager to provide . Maybe the dems need to get better at fighting  that garbage to get those seats back, but  I don’t think message/agenda,  or being qualified politicians really matters.  If it did many of the republicans I see in office would never be elected . 

I don’t really see it as anyone telling me who to vote either . I pick the candidate who is the most qualified , has the best chance of getting elected, and has the best chance of actually getting things done the way I want . Since the republicans run on a platform almost exactly the opposite of what I want , and no independent/ progressive etc has ever come close to winning a presidential election , my vote will go democrat until that changes .  

10 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Since the republicans run on a platform almost exactly the opposite of what I want , and no independent/ progressive etc has ever come close to winning a presidential election , my vote will go democrat until that changes .  

Would you vote for progressive Democrats?

My issue with the idea that centrists Dems will get more done and/or be more electable is that we just had the test case for that from 2008-2010 where the Dems controlled both Houses of Congress and the Presidency and they got almost nothing done - mainly a healthcare policy developed by a conservative think tank. And we're seeing polling that started with Bernie being "more electable" against Trump than Hillary and continues with increasing numbers of races in 2018 - the big one being Ocasio-Cortez. I think the idea that centrists are more electable and/or will get more done is a talking point of the establishment and is a broad generalization that doesn't hold. A better question is how do the policies of a candidate fit the voters of their district, which needs polling data to really determine.