Dems Rebuild

Interesting read about how things would be right now had Clinton won the election. The footnotes he did were pretty informative.

TL;DR: Aside from a Garland for Gorsuch swap, not a whole lot would change. Though given four more years of campaigning on how awful the opposition is, a Republican supermajority in Congress wouldn't be out of the question.

The slogan blows. But it appears they took your advice about policy! Certainly exciting. IMO they're trying to model themselves after the Labour party of the UK. They're not necessarily lurching leftward on all issues, but it certainly seems we're living in populist times and listening to people is what is needed.

If I were them, I would make things like college affordability, wage increases and a clean energy economy into their message. The GOP is completely MIA on all of those issues.

I'm all for working to make college affordable. Making it free to everyone....no.

Interesting read about how things would be right now had Clinton won the election. The footnotes he did were pretty informative.

TL;DR: Aside from a Garland for Gorsuch swap, not a whole lot would change. Though given four more years of campaigning on how awful the opposition is, a Republican supermajority in Congress wouldn't be out of the question.

Interesting read. Yes, there still would be investigation, obstruction and turmoil. Maybe we can come up wt a coalition ticket to stop this partisanship. Now wouldn't it take courage a leading candidate to run as an indep and reach across to the other party and find an equally courageous person to run with him/her. Yes, I know a pipe dream.

Schumer comes out with strong rebuke of Clinton campaign:

“When you lose to somebody who has 40 percent popularity, you don’t blame other things — Comey, Russia — you blame yourself,” Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in an interview previewing the new plan. “So what did we do wrong? People didn’t know what we stood for, just that we were against Trump. And still believe that.”

I like where they're headed but remain skeptical of the Dems ability to deliver. For example, Pelosi is still around and saying stuff:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) agreed, explaining in a separate interview that the new focus “is not a course correction, but it’s a presentation correction.”

I think Schumer and Pelosi are both correct.

Schumer is right. If you lose an election to a guy that openly talks about wanting to f*ck his own daughter... maybe some of the responsibility is on you.

Pelosi is right. The Dems message resonates with most people. 3 million more votes for Hillary, sensible gun laws, marriage equality, etc., but the way it's packaged isn't always effective. It reminds me of that Onion video where the Trump voter talks about feeling betrayed and becoming a feminist.

I think both parties are major CFs right now. :facepalm: The first party to get their act together will be the lead dog in 2018. I have little hope for either. Under what party banner is McMullen going to run under in 2020!!! :dunno I need to research Libertarian some more otherwise just be a pure independent.

Schumer throws Hillary under the bus. We know who he won't be voting for in 2020.

Quote:

When you lose to somebody who has 40% popularity, you don't blame other things -- Comey, Russia -- you blame yourself," Schumer, the top ranking Democrat in the Senate, told The Washington Post over the weekend. "So what did we do wrong? People didn't know what we stood for, just that we were against Trump. And still believe that."

Dem Chair throws San Fran Nan under the bus - sort of:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/politics/democrats-face-two-problems-its-national-chairman-explains/458935274

quote:

Democrats face two problems, according to the party’s national chairman, Tom Perez: lack of infrastructure and no clear message to convey values.

“We not only lost the presidential election in November of 2016 but we’ve also lost a number of elections for state legislature and the senate, et cetera. What we have to do is get back to basics. We have to organize 12 months a year, not just the two months that lead up to the election,” said Perez during an appearance on WFAA-TV’s Inside Texas Politics this morning. “When we have an every ZIP code strategy and when we’re talking to people everywhere, that’s how we succeed. And we got away from that. And that’s what we’re doing differently and better now.”

But as the Democratic Party rebuilds, some on the left say it needs new faces as much as it needs new ideas.

Perez would not directly answer whether House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, 77 and in Congress since 1987, should step away from her leadership position.

“Well listen, the Affordable Care Act has been a life saver. Nancy Pelosi is one of the two or three people singularly responsible for the passage of the Affordable Care Act. What we've seen from Donald Trump is he doesn't know how to govern. He can't get things done. He claims he's the wheeler dealer and he can't close the deal.

When pressed whether Democrats should have someone else besides the congresswoman up front, Perez said: “What we need to do is make sure we're out there every single day telling people what we stand for.”

Perez, the former U.S. Secretary of Labor under President Obama who prefers to be called ‘Tom,’ said Democrats primary focus now is to resist and rebuild.

Still, internally, the party is as divided as Republicans.

• Fire 1

I think both parties are major CFs right now. :facepalm: The first party to get their act together will be the lead dog in 2018. I have little hope for either. Under what party banner is McMullen going to run under in 2020!!! :dunno I need to research Libertarian some more otherwise just be a pure independent.

Schumer throws Hillary under the bus. We know who he won't be voting for in 2020.

Quote:

When you lose to somebody who has 40% popularity, you don't blame other things -- Comey, Russia -- you blame yourself," Schumer, the top ranking Democrat in the Senate, told The Washington Post over the weekend. "So what did we do wrong? People didn't know what we stood for, just that we were against Trump. And still believe that."

Dem Chair throws San Fran Nan under the bus - sort of:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/politics/democrats-face-two-problems-its-national-chairman-explains/458935274

quote:

Democrats face two problems, according to the party’s national chairman, Tom Perez: lack of infrastructure and no clear message to convey values.

“We not only lost the presidential election in November of 2016 but we’ve also lost a number of elections for state legislature and the senate, et cetera. What we have to do is get back to basics. We have to organize 12 months a year, not just the two months that lead up to the election,” said Perez during an appearance on WFAA-TV’s Inside Texas Politics this morning. “When we have an every ZIP code strategy and when we’re talking to people everywhere, that’s how we succeed. And we got away from that. And that’s what we’re doing differently and better now.”

But as the Democratic Party rebuilds, some on the left say it needs new faces as much as it needs new ideas.

Perez would not directly answer whether House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, 77 and in Congress since 1987, should step away from her leadership position.

“Well listen, the Affordable Care Act has been a life saver. Nancy Pelosi is one of the two or three people singularly responsible for the passage of the Affordable Care Act. What we've seen from Donald Trump is he doesn't know how to govern. He can't get things done. He claims he's the wheeler dealer and he can't close the deal.

When pressed whether Democrats should have someone else besides the congresswoman up front, Perez said: “What we need to do is make sure we're out there every single day telling people what we stand for.”

Perez, the former U.S. Secretary of Labor under President Obama who prefers to be called ‘Tom,’ said Democrats primary focus now is to resist and rebuild.

Still, internally, the party is as divided as Republicans.

Opps Sorry RedDenver - I see you already had the Schumer throws Hillary under the bus angle covered.

Guys, give up on Clinton running in 2020. It isn't happening. Has a presidential election loser ever run again the following election?

Regardless, she won't run again. I'd eat a MAGA hay if that came to pass.

I don't think she will run anyway. Health issues may be her main concern. Ok - what is MAGA hay?

I think Schumer and Pelosi are both correct.

Schumer is right. If you lose an election to a guy that openly talks about wanting to f*ck his own daughter... maybe some of the responsibility is on you.

Pelosi is right. The Dems message resonates with most people. 3 million more votes for Hillary, sensible gun laws, marriage equality, etc., but the way it's packaged isn't always effective. It reminds me of that Onion video where the Trump voter talks about feeling betrayed and becoming a feminist.

First, I'm not sure you can say the Dems message resonates with most people given that they only got 26% of the total vote (as did Trump). 48% of voters did not vote for Clinton or Trump. (For comparison, Obama got 28% in 2012 and 30% in 2008.)

Second, Pelosi is calling for the status quo in a time of populism, which I think is a big mistake.

Guys, give up on Clinton running in 2020. It isn't happening. Has a presidential election loser ever run again the following election?

I don't think she will run anyway. Health issues may be her main concern. Ok - what is MAGA hay?

Hat*

My fat thumbs and poor autocorrect make mobile a challenge!

Hat*

My fat thumbs and poor autocorrect make mobile a challenge!

Good - I thought this old man was missing some new acronym for something really important!!

• Fire 1

Nebraska native Williams Jenning Bryan lost 3 times: 1896, 1900, 1908.

Good catch -- he is certainly one of the most interesting guys to ever cross our national stage:

William Jennings Bryan (March 19, 1860 – July 26, 1925) was an American orator and politician from Nebraska, and a dominant force in the populist wing of the Democratic Party, standing three times as the Party's nominee for President of the United States (1896, 1900, and 1908). He served two terms as a member of the United States House of Representatives from Nebraska and was United States Secretary of State under President Woodrow Wilson (1913–1915). He resigned because of his pacifist position on World War I. Bryan was a devout Presbyterian, a strong advocate of popular democracy, and an enemy of the banks and the gold standard. He demanded "Free Silver" because he believed it undermined the evil "Money Power" and put more cash in the hands of the common people. He was a peace advocate, a supporter of Prohibition, and an opponent of Darwinism on religious and humanitarian grounds. With his deep, commanding voice and wide travels, he was perhaps the best-known orator and lecturer of the era. Because of his faith in the wisdom of the common people, he was called "The Great Commoner".

In the intensely fought 1896 and 1900 elections, he was defeated by William McKinley but retained control of the Democratic Party. With over 500 speeches in 1896, Bryan invented the national stumping tour in an era when other presidential candidates stayed home. In his three presidential bids, he promoted Free Silver in 1896, anti-imperialism in 1900, and trust-busting in 1908, calling on Democrats to fight the trusts (big corporations) and big banks, and embrace anti-elitist ideals of republicanism. President Wilson appointed him Secretary of State in 1913. After the Lusitania was torpedoed in 1915, Wilson made strong demands on Germany that Bryan disagreed with, resigning in protest as a pacifist. After 1920, he turned to Christian fundamentalism; he supported Prohibition and attacked Darwinism and evolution, most famously at the Scopes Trial in 1925 in Tennessee. Five days after the conclusion of the Scopes case, which he won, Bryan died in his sleep.[2]