I can't take it!

dergibog

All season long I put up with the public address announcer saying "Jones to punt for the visitors. DPE back to TAKE IT for the Huskers." The same for kick offs. Bryant to TAKE IT for the Huskers.

Who says this? This isn't football talk. You receive a punt or return a kickoff.

Maybe Fo-Fiddy asked the guy to change the wording to lower our expectations for special teams.

• Fire 1

Maybe he means to take a fair catch?? Cause it seems like we haven't returned too many this year.

Whatever he means I like it a LOT more when he announces DPE taking the field than Lightbourne taking the field. It means the Blackshirts did their job. :thumbs:

I been watching this the last few games. On 90% of the punt returns. We will sub out a safety and put DPE in. Mostly in our base defense. The last time we did the whole sale subs for a punt return, they ran the fake for the first down. It's not DPE, it's the scheme of preventing fakes and not even worrying about returning it.

I been watching this the last few games. On 90% of the punt returns. We will sub out a safety and put DPE in. Mostly in our base defense. The last time we did the whole sale subs for a punt return, they ran the fake for the first down. It's not DPE, it's the scheme of preventing fakes and not even worrying about returning it.

Except for the part where ... you know ... it's not helping against fakes either. We even suck at punt safe.

Except for the part where ... you know ... it's not helping against fakes either. We even suck at punt safe.

I'm not saying we are good at stopping fakes, just saying we stay in our base D to stop them. And so far, none have gone for a TD, so win?

I'm not saying we are good at stopping fakes, just saying we stay in our base D to stop them. And so far, none have gone for a TD, so win?

And my point is there have been a lot of excuses about staying in a "safe" defense this year. We've been told that's part of the reason why we aren't getting many return yards. We were told it was confusion about which team was supposed to be out there that led to the 12 men penalty against Minnesota. We have apparently been more worried about the other team faking a punt than doing much of anything else.

Yet when a team actually did fake a punt on us, we still couldn't stop it. So we've wasted a lot of other opportunities to be ready for a fake that we can't stop anyway. Not much of a ROI.

• Fire 1

And my point is there have been a lot of excuses about staying in a "safe" defense this year. We've been told that's part of the reason why we aren't getting many return yards. We were told it was confusion about which team was supposed to be out there that led to the 12 men penalty against Minnesota. We have apparently been more worried about the other team faking a punt than doing much of anything else.

Yet when a team actually did fake a punt on us, we still couldn't stop it. So we've wasted a lot of other opportunities to be ready for a fake that we can't stop anyway. Not much of a ROI.

On the fake punt, that was one of times I remember seeing them do wholesale subs for a return. Oddly enough. It's almost like Maryland waited for us to set up a return, then called the fake.

On the fake punt, that was one of times I remember seeing them do wholesale subs for a return. Oddly enough. It's almost like Maryland waited for us to set up a return, then called the fake.

We did sub out the defense but we were still in "punt safe".