Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Mav why Bray at DC?

That's basically a "he's going to start getting calls to be a DC somewhere and we need to keep him here" combined with "he can't possibly be any worse than what we have".

I don't think we'll actually do that. And I don't think he's leaving really soon. But it will suck if he does leave.

• Fire 1

As I mentioned on Bray, he was offered the DC spot at San Jose State (former Oregon State WR coach now the HC at San Jose State).

Apparently he turned it down but his phone will be ringing. Obviously he had a connection there but if our defense actually turns into a above-average unit, it's not going to take long.

• Fire 1

Thinking it over, I guess I do accept the argument that maybe Bray needs to cut his teeth at the DC position, so when he gets that opportunity a place such as San Jose State, or maybe a P5 school with a lesser pedigree, would be the right one.

It won't be a total loss because we'll still have retained him for some time, and we hire someone who won't be learning on the job. Three years is not nothing for an assistant coach, and they *can* be replaced more easily than an experienced coordinator. Plus, it might open the door for Bray to return in the future stronger and more experienced than he would have been otherwise.

I'm just glad that he's staying this year. The SJSU opportunity sounds like a really good one.