Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Mav, I appreciate the level of research you do when you are providing your view point and while I think TA is a baller, you only have to look to last years Illinois game to see that TA has problems making the right decisions. I am not saying that Langs is the second coming, but I truely believe, when he gets a QB behind center that recognizes his philosophy and has the accuracy to implement his philosophy, you will see a giant stride in our offensive production.

The majority of plays called by Langs or any OC for that matter, typically has a clause in it (reads done by the QB). Also, someone mentioned 'touch' herein, and that has been a weak spot for TA since he stepped on the field. His trajectory is low (knocked down passes by D linemen) and he rifles a majority of his pass attempts (even short ones, which are uncatchable by the human hand).

Again, not trying to bash on TA but he is what he appears to be. Yes, he is a great athelete who gives us 110%.

I generally agree with your points. I've said since TA became the starter that he was terrible at decision-making. That's why I have given Langs credit for calling several games that basically took that decision-making out of TA's hands and forced the short throws. I just don't know why we went away from that in other games.

I've also said I'll give Langs more time with an actual QB to work with. That's why he's not on my check-list in this thread. I don't dislike the general design of his offense. My worry is that he doesn't really put it to the best use. He really wants to throw the ball. And I'm not necessarily opposed to that, especially if we're completing mid-60%. But I don't think he has much feel for how to call the run game. And I think he'll be more prone to abandon the running game when he has a passing game that is more effective. Which will work in a lot of games because we have more talent than most teams we play. But I don't know if that will deliver championship-level football in the B1G in November.

because we wanted to win that's why. Against those other teams we needed to open it up and hope for something good to happen. Because those secondary's would have shut that short simple stuff down easy. Langs wanted to call a more complicated air attack but armstrongs inexperience and aggressive decision making made a bad situation worse.

That's a lot of speculation on your part. What are the better passing attacks that Iowa shut down this year? How many above average passing teams did Ohio State play?

And considering those choices led to the worst blowouts of the year - one of the worst in school history in one case - it would seem that they were misguided.

It's called being observant, and common sense, mostly.

The Hawkeyes, i don't know if you are aware or not but they, do still have desmond king, one of the best cover corners in the BIG. The rest of their secondary was and is good enough to shut down a passing attack if there is no threat of a running game. i think you can see where im going with this. Throw a run game in there they get blown out, like how they did with penn state. even then they only gave up 240 yards to McSorley in the air and 164 rushingto the lions top RB. not great, but not awful either to the eventual BIG champs. But you probably noticed the relative balance in PSU's attack. they ran the ball 20 times with their best back, McSorley had eighteen attempts.

We had no such balance obviously due too a decimated o-line that was recovering by the iowa game but still out of sync as would be expected from a unit that hadn't spent more than three games playing together. We couldn't run it reliably and were naive to think we would. Top that off with a respectable but average running back along with our best runner (Armstrong) being gimp with a hamstring issue, our best power back (ozigbo) injured for much of the season.

We balled all these problems up and threw that at a disciplined and relatively healthy Iowa D! Tell me what you would have done? Throw it into corners that are playing aggressive and with safeties playing up to jump passing lanes? With a QB notorious for poor decisions, spoty mechanics, and accuracy, who is throwing on a bum hamstring to boot.

As for Ohio state they held Baker Mayfield and OU to 224 yards. Pretty good against their style of offense. So not sure what your point there is. Also did a good job against PSU in their loss. So what makes you think a short passing game with TA was going to change anything if a heisman caliber player in Mayfield couldn't do it?

Seriously what did you think was going to happen? You can point to stats and recruiting stars and how they translate to talent and thus why we shouldn't have lost this game and thus its the coaches fault somehow. But your just grasping at straws dude.

The only game we can actually second guess the staff this year on was wisconsin. Some decisions there were a little iffy.

The other two games we were not healthy, not even close at critical positions. Team that up with the defense dropping the ball and you have a blow out. I understand your anger and im mad too, there are things this staff does that drives me up a wall. But anyone who thinks your going to take a pistol read option offense and convert it to a pro style offense and be winning championships by year two is hilariously misinformed about how hard of a transition that is to make, and how incompatible the personnel are to each other.

This is a four year plus rebuilding job. Get comfy, because with two new Qb's next year its probably going to be much of the same.
End rant. dedhoarse

Oklahoma scored 24 points on Ohio State. They lost the game because they are terrible on defense. So I'd say their game plan was far better than ours.

So...um...maybe I'm reading other boards wrong, but is there supposedly another coach that is leaving for another job that we'll need to replace? Read something of that sort on another board, and I didn't see anything in this thread, per se.

Not my intent to spread misinformation--just wanting to know if that's something that's common knowledge and I'm just slow on the uptake lately? :dunno

So...um...maybe I'm reading other boards wrong, but is there supposedly another coach that is leaving for another job that we'll need to replace? Read something of that sort on another board, and I didn't see anything in this thread, per se.

Not my intent to spread misinformation--just wanting to know if that's something that's common knowledge and I'm just slow on the uptake lately? :dunno

It would not be surprising if Brian Stewart moved on from NU. He could be a candidate for a DC job in college football, or I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to the NFL.

@BRV920

Oklahoma scored 24 points on Ohio State. They lost the game because they are terrible on defense. So I'd say their game plan was far better than ours.

They held Mayfield to 226 yards 2TDs and 2 INTS. he was just a hair over 50% throwing too. Oklahoma had less first downs, yardage, time of possession ect. ect. Nothing amazing, watch the tape and their coordinator made some good calls, but made many bad ones too. That's to be expected against OSU.

And like you said, 24 points is what they scored with a pretty healthy team which was pretty good considering who is on Defense.

By comparison did we have all our best players out there at 100%?

No. not even close

It doesn't matter how genius your game plan is if your roster is so depleted that your down to walkons on your O-line and at QB.

That's not Langs fault. That's just sh**ty luck and bad roster management/development by the previous staff.

Its time to move on to Tennessee.

So go with the same game plan the led to loses to Illinois and Purdue last year? Pretty stupid in my opinion.

Well by all means break out langsdorfs play book and show him how we should be calling the game. I mean it must be so easy that any run of the mill huskerboard user would be an instant upgrade right? :facepalm:

So go with the same game plan the led to loses to Illinois and Purdue last year? Pretty stupid in my opinion.

Well by all means break out langsdorfs play book and show him how we should be calling the game. I mean it must be so easy that any run of the mill huskerboard user would be an instant upgrade right? :facepalm:[/

Seems like maybe you've missed pretty much all of last years and this years discussion on Langsdorfs play calling? Also isn't that what a message board is for?

So if Langsdorfs gameplan for Ohio State and Iowa was to attack downfield with 15-20 deep passes in my OPINION that is on him for a terrible game plan. Mavric pretty well summed it up.

Well by all means break out langsdorfs play book and show him how we should be calling the game. I mean it must be so easy that any run of the mill huskerboard user would be an instant upgrade right? :facepalm:

I did. It's in Post #156.

But you don't want to believe it so you choose to ignore it.

I really hate when people make posts like this.

• Fire 1

Well by all means break out langsdorfs play book and show him how we should be calling the game. I mean it must be so easy that any run of the mill huskerboard user would be an instant upgrade right? :facepalm:[/

Seems like maybe you've missed pretty much all of last years and this years discussion on Langsdorfs play calling? Also isn't that what a message board is for?

So if Langsdorfs gameplan for Ohio State and Iowa was to attack downfield with 15-20 deep passes in my OPINION that is on him for a terrible game plan. Mavric pretty well summed it up.

And like I said. What are you gunna do? Run it? Can't do that we are to banged up on the O-line. Throw it short? We aren't Faster then OSU, And Iowa only gave up 430 ish yards more than OSU through the air this year. So probably no sustainable success just throwing it short either. Your gunna have to take your shots long. Not all of those Shots were on Langs though, Tommy has to make his reads. And too often last year and even at times this year he looked for the long bomb over other more equally or more open receivers.

Top that off with the fact that this staff admitted that they had never coached players of this type (pistol read option) and anyone could see the Offense was going to have some rough games.

And no I didn't miss those discussions last year, I found them irrelevant at that point considering the defense was finding innovative new ways to give up hundreds of yards through the air to (insert every QB we played almost). Football is a team game, if your defense sucks your gunna be throwing it deep more to keep up.

You haven't answered my point which is why I made the comment above. If you have a better Idea, an alternative I'd love to hear it. Because I think you'll realize considering our roster issues/health issues there weren't any quick easy fixes that could change the result and win us the 3 games we dropped this year.

I did. It's in Post #156.

But you don't want to believe it so you choose to ignore it.

I was just being nice. I read your whole post and yes ignored it. Why?

Because Minnesota was the second worst statistical pass defense in the league this year 66th in the nation to boot and as a team gave up 33 TDs, the same as us. And we were none too spectacular on Defense this year. Couple that with Tommy making good decisions and ignoring some of those deep routes the Langsdorf was still calling periodically though out the night like he always does and you have what you saw in that game. But that's still an easier opponent, one this staff has owned for two years straight now. So your point in that post offered very little to advance your argument. But rather shined the spotlight further on how good TA is when he makes good choices. So good for him.

My argument is that we should not pass judgment here so soon. If Tanner Lee or POB and company are out there doing this same act in year 4 then yes I will join the disgruntled crowd because at that point yes it is a coaching error I would believe.

But we aren't in year 4, this is only year 2 of a major philosophical offensive transition with virtually none of the Personnel needed at critical positions currently playing.

I intend patiently wait and give this staff the full 4 years to get their personnel in place, and get them coached up before I start passing judgment on anything.

But at this time disagree all you like and argue away but know there is still an equally large mountain of evidence that counters your arguments.

But at this time disagree all you like and argue away but know there is still an equally large mountain of evidence that counters your arguments.

If there was as much evidence as you claim, it should be pretty easy to post it. Yet you have none. Just speculation on your part.

lol if your saying the statistics and facts I posted above debunking your arguments aren't evidence and your youtube stills are then :frenchy . There's no having a reasonable conversation. Your angry and need someone to pin the blame on. Langs is who you settled on as your villain and you won't be swayed despite all the facts that muddy your argument, I see that now finally.

So have fun with where that takes you.

If there was as much evidence as you claim, it should be pretty easy to post it. Yet you have none. Just speculation on your part.

lol if your saying the statistics and facts I posted above debunking your arguments aren't evidence and your youtube stills are then :frenchy . There's no having a reasonable conversation. Your angry and need someone to pin the blame on. Langs is who you settled on as your villain and you won't be swayed despite all the facts that muddy your argument, I see that now finally.

You have posted no statistic nor facts that prove

1 - We called the same plays in all those different games and it was just TA making different decisions that led to the different outcomes

-OR-

2 - We absolutely could not have called those plays against Ohio State or Iowa because they had such tremendous pass defenses that it was useless to even try.

It's obviously not #1 because there were basically none of the RPOs and quick passes that we saw against Minnesota and other games against Iowa. So that leaves you with #2 which is convenient for you to believe but is only speculation.

So, like I said, you don't have any evidence. You have a couple observations that you apparently think are facts but are only speculation on your part as to how that would have translated into a game against us.

And even if your speculation would have turned out to be (somewhat) true, the game plan we went with led to the second-worst blowout in school history and a 30-point loss due in no small part do to the fact that we completed less than 40% of our passes and the fact that we only scored a combined 13 points in those two games. So we almost literally could not have done any worse.

• Fire 1

23837073.jpg