Husker Coordinators

Mavric

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I re watched the first half pass plays today to watch the line play.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

That's not the play call's fault.

These arguments are always one-sided - pointing to the time that TA passed on another throw.

My argument is that there are other games when we were calling different types of pass plays that didn't have the deep options for TA to choose. There were several games where we almost exclusively had short routes and TA had high completion percentages those games.

My point is we did not seem to be calling those same types of plays in other games. That is the play caller's fault.

This. So, so much this. Everyone's straw man argument is "have you seen practice".......... I haven't. I only watch the games, but there is no way in hell that some of those routes that TA continually misses in games are his money throws in practice. It is the job of the OC, and even his own admission, to hammer what the guys can do and make it work. The inside zone, IIRC, is his go to run game.....really? The won that has pretty much been the least productive of our run schemes.....

Langs, as OC, can cal a game plan that doesn't have those routes in it. Or simply tel TA, the "X" route is not there for you to throw, but to simply drag the safety over the top out of the box and have a LB go with the receiver and then release. Opening up this or that route...... That's on Langs. If the QB continually doesn't listen? Who is the QB coach? Who cals the plays? Who decides who starts or not?

In my limited defense of Langs, Maryland was a great game plan IMO. Passes and plays dialed up to have Fyfe succeed. Low risk routes that gets the ball into the hands of the play makers.... Maybe this is what the O will look like next year. And I can live with that. Even if Langs is the OC. It just baffles me that Langs and Co have had TA for 2 years as well as 4 years of film and he regressed. DC's around the league figured out how to shut him down. It was Langs job to figure out how to keep him "open".

There is no way to sugar coat how putrid our offense was. Injuries? That's a recruiting, development and depth issue..... Every team has injuries......

We have further to go than I would have anticipated. Better play calling i.e. fixing the square peg round hole would pay huge dividends IMO.

• Fire 1

Can anyone explain why the deep out and slot/te out seems open a lot against us?

simple tendancies

we dont have a qb that can routinely hit those throws. So defense let them be for the most part to double down on things our qb does do well. The schematic answers to questions like this are not nearly as complicated as they seem. It's simple philosophy. And the thing is, we can sit here and say our qb should run more, but when our pass game is not well-rounded enough, that's inneffective as well.

Again, the short routes have been there EVERY game that we have played. Langs all of a sudden didn't just say " F@ck it, we are gonna run all deep routes and nothing else." Quit saying that we weren't running them because TA's passing took a sh#t halfway through the season. The plays might not look the same because Langs might have switched up a route to clear an opening or to get a better matchup but it is essentially the same play. Take Iowa game and TA's yolobombs, We might have called that play 50 times through the year but the go route might not have been apart of that play until Langs adjusted it for the Iowa game. All the other routes that TA had been completing during that play throughout the year were still there, he just didn't look.

Is that only a scheme problem or is it a talent/speed problem, or both?

You can't take everything away on defense. There are going to be things you focus on stopping more and things you're going to take your chances on.

But I would say this is mostly a choice of the scheme. We completely changed our coverage scheme after getting torched last year. We did a much better job of staying behind the receivers which not only prevented a lot of big plays but allowed the DBs to be looking back at the QB to be able to make better plays on the ball and get interceptions.

And - as was much touted when this staff was hired - we attempt to stop the run first. We haven't been particularly good at it but the linebackers really start to fill hard on any run look. The problem is that gets them out of position and moving the wrong way on any play-action fake so it creates a lot of area to throw behind the LBs and in front of the DBs.

Fortunately this year we played a lot of bad offenses and, in particular, very few that were any good at throwing the ball. Ohio State was the exception and we see how that turned out.

The play book has already been pared down for Tommy this year. Yiu want to pare it down more so he won't take deep shots? No that is asinine, also the deep throws especially against Iowa were open and Tommy missed them. That isn't bad play calling. Looking for every reason to blame Langs it's lame. You could argue it's on the player and the coach, but if Langs needs to coddle Tommy that much with playcalling, the player has a problem

Can anyone explain why the deep out and slot/te out seems open a lot against us?

simple tendancies

we dont have a qb that can routinely hit those throws. So defense let them be for the most part to double down on things our qb does do well. The schematic answers to questions like this are not nearly as complicated as they seem. It's simple philosophy. And the thing is, we can sit here and say our qb should run more, but when our pass game is not well-rounded enough, that's inneffective as well.

I mean when we are on D

For starters, if it's the Slot we like to try to have the LB split the difference between covering the slot and supporting the run so they have a lot of ground to cover to get to the out. Also, our LBs attack the run hard so any play-action gets them way out of position and they have trouble getting back into the passing lanes.

The easiest route to throw against us in the fly/out combination. The Fly route from the outside WR clears out the CB and we aren't in very good position with anyone else to cover the out.

Thanks

Things that need to happen:

1 - Fire Banker

2 - Fire Reed

3 - Promote Bray to DC

4 - Hire Thompson as full-time assistant

5 - Hire another young, high-energy assistant who can recruit like crazy

6 - ???

7 - Profit

2 - Check

1 & 3 - Missing the boat

4 - Coming in April

5 - Check

7 - Somewhat, but not to the fullest extent.

1 - Fire Banker

2 - Fire Reed

3 - Promote Bray to DC

6 - ???

7 - Profit

1 - Check

2 & 3 - Missing the boat

4 - Coming in April

5 - Check

Wait Banker got fired? Unless you mean he got fired from saftes coach then yes he did. I think 1 and three are missing the boat and 2 is a check, or that's what you mean.

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I re watched the first half pass plays today to watch the line play.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

That's not the play call's fault.

These arguments are always one-sided - pointing to the time that TA passed on another throw.

My argument is that there are other games when we were calling different types of pass plays that didn't have the deep options for TA to choose. There were several games where we almost exclusively had short routes and TA had high completion percentages those games.

My point is we did not seem to be calling those same types of plays in other games. That is the play caller's fault.

But you can't only have short route patterns or those easy underneath throws won't be there either.

3-4 deep shots a game, at varying down and distance? Absolutely.

Bombing it down the field 40 yards every time you're in 3rd and 2? Ludicrous.

And Nebraska, particularly Tommy Armstrong, has done way too much of the latter this season.

The game against Ohio State was perhaps the best, or worse, example of this half-baked strategy or game plan.

Again, I'm no Armstrong apologist.

But he's not so inconsistent that he'll complete 70% of his passes one game and 37% the next if the same type of pass plays are being called.

Apologies, I haven't really read this thread before, but were the gameplans and play selection between Illinois to Indiana and Minnesota to Iowa that different?

1 - Fire Banker

2 - Fire Reed

3 - Promote Bray to DC

6 - ???

7 - Profit

1 - Check

2 & 3 - Missing the boat

4 - Coming in April

5 - Check

Wait Banker got fired? Unless you mean he got fired from saftes coach then yes he did. I think 1 and three are missing the boat and 2 is a check, or that's what you mean.

Sorry. Had 1 & 2 swapped. Edited above.