Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Are you big on firing Banker because of the Ohio State game?

No. His defensive scheme last year was an abomination. This year's is significantly better but still nothing great. We've benefited from playing a lot of terrible offenses. The only two good offenses we've played this year we had trouble stopping (Oregon, without their best offensive player for most of the game) or literally couldn't stop at all (Ohio St.).

So I'm not a Banker fan. Although the reason I bring that up - and why it's in this thread - is because I think Bray is going to start getting calls and we may have to find a way to get him a promotion to keep him. Probably not this year but it's not going to be long. And I think losing him would be bad - worth shipping Banker out to keep him.

^ said this when we first hired him, Bray's a future DC and probably head coach. Not sure firing banker is the answer yet, but I am full for the idea of promoting Bray to co defensive coordinator and handing him more responsibility.

No. His defensive scheme last year was an abomination. This year's is significantly better but still nothing great. We've benefited from playing a lot of terrible offenses. The only two good offenses we've played this year we had trouble stopping (Oregon, without their best offensive player for most of the game) or literally couldn't stop at all (Ohio St.).

So I'm not a Banker fan. Although the reason I bring that up - and why it's in this thread - is because I think Bray is going to start getting calls and we may have to find a way to get him a promotion to keep him. Probably not this year but it's not going to be long. And I think losing him would be bad - worth shipping Banker out to keep him.

^ said this when we first hired him, Bray's a future DC and probably head coach. Not sure firing banker is the answer yet, but I am full for the idea of promoting Bray to co defensive coordinator and handing him more responsibility.

you guys are being reasonable. We can't just fire Banker. But if we have a solid plan of upgrading at DC, we can fire Banker. Right now Bray seems like the only realistic solution to upgrading at DC. Obviously not right now but a transition of power over the next year or two if Bray is performing well would be awesome.

And we don't even have to ship Banker out, we could just promote Tavita Thompson as a paid TE coach and move Banker to our sexy new open position, ST coordinator lol

you guys are being reasonable. We can't just fire Banker. But if we have a solid plan of upgrading at DC, we can fire Banker. Right now Bray seems like the only realistic solution to upgrading at DC. Obviously not right now but a transition of power over the next year or two if Bray is performing well would be awesome.

And we don't even have to ship Banker out, we could just promote Tavita Thompson as a paid TE coach and move Banker to our sexy new open position, ST coordinator lol

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves as crowning Bray as the next great DC. Just because you are coaching one position group well, doesn't mean you make a great coordinator.

Is it possible he is great?? Sure....

But, IF we are going to fire Banker, wouldn't we want someone who has proven to be a good DC? Or, is the fan base going to be OK with letting someone learn on the job?

More often than not I generally agree with Mavric but I am more impressed with our defense this year than he apparently. I would suggest we ought to let these last few games play out and see how well the defense performs. We might well play a challenging offense in the bowl game, for example.

Despite losing three very good D linemen, the defense made good improvement. We cut down on big plays given up, we made big strides in DB pass coverage and more INTs, better tackling overall and fewer gross errors. All these are just my observations without diggning into the stats of course. I know many of you like to make that numerical comparisons and they are valuable but to me the 'eye test' and 'feel' tests are also important. I feel much better about our defense this year and although I remain concerned that we may give up some yards (we give too many yards and first downs early in opponent's drives particularly), we tighten up nicely once they get past our 50. With our full complement of 'starters' healthy and playing, I would give us a 50/50 chance in overtime against any team in the country. To me that is a giant step in the right direction.

Are we there yet? No, we lost those three DTs and that hurt. Had we not, I think we'd have a top ten (or better) defense nationally. As it is, we have a top twenty I believe strongly.

For me, the biggest disappointment this year is the offense. I felt good we'd be 10 points and 100 yards a game better than last year. I think Tommy played that way but we missed our FB and Cross/Ozigbo production last year. Newby played better but we ran better last year. Offensive line play is the real downer. I blame injuries and lack of depth for that. Playcalling is better this year and game management and so on much improved. Penalty issues are better but still not 'great'.

Special teams are POOR/BAD/AWFUL save for Drew Brown (a 5 star player I'd say). Punting would have been great with Foltz and that really hurt us this year at critical times. Nobody's fault there but we better find a great punter for next year unless Caleb L is charting much better in practice than games. He can improve certainly but???

The critical areas next year will be replacing a bunch of seniors who are the heart of this team really. Not sure replacing Banker is as important as recruiting great players and getting them out there. Forget the redshirts next year. Play our best young athletes and let the learn. Wins will be hard to come by no matter who we play next year as graduation will really hurt. IMO.

Dude, not trying to offend you but, holy heck, can't you shorten your points, so those of us who are not on SS yet, can read your comments before we retire? If you truly are an attorney, do people run out of the court house when you start your closing arguments? You write well, but damn!

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves as crowning Bray as the next great DC. Just because you are coaching one position group well, doesn't mean you make a great coordinator.

Is it possible he is great?? Sure....

But, IF we are going to fire Banker, wouldn't we want someone who has proven to be a good DC? Or, is the fan base going to be OK with letting someone learn on the job?

I'm saying we can't upgrade our DC outside of the program this year really. It would be tough to get somebody over here. In a few years that might be different but if Bray is good and performs well in a scenario where he is given increased responsibility over the next few years(performing well being key there) that would be a much easier path to upgrading our DC than trying to hire someone from outside the program

Nebraska talks like we have all the money in the world and will pay to win championships. I am still waiting for this to happen. Mike Riley is the 42nd highest paid coach (Bo was 35th). Some of the top coordinators are getting over $1 mil per year nowadays.

I am not saying that Riley can never get it done, or we have to pay someone $10 mil / year but it usually works out for the best when you bust out the wallet. I still feel getting a big name D coordinator would help us out tremendously. I think that all other position coaches go well with this team, and another good asst. would help Riley since he is more of a laid back HC.

Again...I'm not advocating firing Banker.

But....if we did, why would it be difficult to get a good DC from outside the program this year but not in the future.

right now it seems any big name DC would be downgrading to come here. I mean who is out there that would realistically want to come here right now? And with the salary Langs and Riley are paid right now we aren't going to spend a million dollars on a coordinator. If we do that we have to pay Riley more at least. Maybe in a few years we will have a more complete defensive roster and have made a decision to pay coaches more money.

And either way promoting Bray would be easier than hiring someone now or later, which is the point I was trying to make. If we have a guy who will be a talented DC why don't we make him our DC instead of letting him leave to do that for someone else. Again this is assuming a slow promotion of Bray to DC would be an upgrade over Banker

Nebraska talks like we have all the money in the world and will pay to win championships. I am still waiting for this to happen. Mike Riley is the 42nd highest paid coach (Bo was 35th). Some of the top coordinators are getting over $1 mil per year nowadays.

I am not saying that Riley can never get it done, or we have to pay someone $10 mil / year but it usually works out for the best when you bust out the wallet. I still feel getting a big name D coordinator would help us out tremendously. I think that all other position coaches go well with this team, and another good asst. would help Riley since he is more of a laid back HC.

Pelini was the 24th highest paid coach in 2014. He was the 14th highest paid coach in 2011.

Not sure where you're getting the 35 number.

Pelini was the 24th highest paid coach in 2014. He was the 14th highest paid coach in 2011.

I went with his highest paid year and if he coached this season compared to others where he would have been. I should have been more clear on that

Something about money not being the problem, right?

I went with his highest paid year and if he coached this season compared to others where he would have been. I should have been more clear on that

That's a meaningless comparison. Coaches get paid more every year. Comparing Pelini's highest pay to what coaches made this year doesn't show anything. You have to look at what he was paid each year compared to other coaches in those years. He was in the top 25 every year I've looked up and top 15 at least one season.

Someone Banker gone cuz apparently the defense sucks. But wants Stewart to stay cuz the secondary got much better. Yet it's ignored that Banker probably had just as much if not more to do with secondary improvemtn by handling the safeties this year than Stewart did. So that's fun logic.

I'm not sure what to think about Stewart. On one hand, I don't know how much he can be blamed for what goes on during games as he can only work within Banker's scheme. However, he hasn't seemed to do anything to distinguish himself either. Not much on the recruiting front either (so far).