Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Injuries to our '1-deep chart' have finally taken the toll and as a team we are simply worn out. Without sufficient substitutions on a regular basis both during the course of each game and during the course of the entire season, we simply run out of gas. We still have NOT played a true 4 quarters of good football, except perhaps the UCLA game, in two seasons. The bowl might be explained because the starters and a handful of the guys who do get to come in and out, were pretty fully rested before the 'one game season' which was a bowl.

But I believe we have to substitute more to keep guys fresh and healthy and get development to build for the future. This kind of 'no subs' approach is exactly how we got into this 'funk' of mediocrity, way back during Frank's tenure.

Special teams are just putrid! Sorry but putrid might be too nice a term. OMG! Bad punts. Bad punt fielding! Bad punt coverage! Even mediocre kick offs and poor KO coverage. Ugly. Special teams are as bad, this year, as I can ever remember. This is now 22 months into Riley's tenure and the end of two springs and two falls, etc. There has been more than enough time to form decent 'special teams' units, etc. No doubt losing your starting punter hurts BUT we have no back up punter obviously because Lighborn now 'leading' the Nation as the worst punter in the country. Anyone can understand a freshman making a handful of 'tough' kicks but this is just terrible. As a former punter and QBd myself at the high school level, I did much better than this and got no scholarship offers and that was 38 years ago. I just can't understand how we can be in this situation. Nebraska high schools have to have had atleast a dozen better punters than this last year. Recruit one.

We should spend one scholarship on kicker each year (especially one who can punt and place kick decent). This is so sad to watch happen to another hard working team.

How many seniors who played more than half of this game will graduate and the 'back ups' therefor have had very little real experience? There are a bunch!

I remain very concerned about not playing our younger guys. We are trying to build the program. Yes, I wanted to win this game badly but I want to get back into the top ten (and deservedly so - we were overrated earlier certainly). We are suffering another 'blow out' of sorts. This is sad. We are the more mature, older team as compared to IA. They had only 14 seniors while we graduate 30.

I wrote elsewhere on this board that we absolutely must have more QBs ready to play. Tommy was not himself. Not able to lead this team. Fyfe has broken had and obviously Darlington not ready to play. No back ups. Somebody challenged my statement that we had 140 players on this team. We had about 165 in late 90s. I know Callahan dumped a bunch but I thought, mistakenly I guess, that recent coaches had rebuilt our numbers? If not, why not?

13 of 35 by Tommy passing. Unacceptable and he was not good at any point really. Change something - please!

I like the ideas in the OP, but let's get greedy.

Herman goes to LSU he wants his own guys. How much of a push do we make for Aranda?

Unfortunately, zero. Herman was college roommates with Aranda and you have to believe he gets retained. Plus, Aranda makes $1mm+/year. I don't think we'll be alive to see the day that NU pays a mil ball for an asst coach.

Herman goes to LSU he wants his own guys. How much of a push do we make for Aranda?

Unfortunately, zero. Herman was college roommates with Aranda and you have to believe he gets retained. Plus, Aranda makes $1mm+/year. I don't think we'll be alive to see the day that NU pays a mil ball for an asst coach.

They were roommates??? Holy sh#t.

Injuries to our '1-deep chart' have finally taken the toll and as a team we are simply worn out. Without sufficient substitutions on a regular basis both during the course of each game and during the course of the entire season, we simply run out of gas. We still have NOT played a true 4 quarters of good football, except perhaps the UCLA game, in two seasons. The bowl might be explained because the starters and a handful of the guys who do get to come in and out, were pretty fully rested before the 'one game season' which was a bowl.

But I believe we have to substitute more to keep guys fresh and healthy and get development to build for the future. This kind of 'no subs' approach is exactly how we got into this 'funk' of mediocrity, way back during Frank's tenure.

Special teams are just putrid! Sorry but putrid might be too nice a term. OMG! Bad punts. Bad punt fielding! Bad punt coverage! Even mediocre kick offs and poor KO coverage. Ugly. Special teams are as bad, this year, as I can ever remember. This is now 22 months into Riley's tenure and the end of two springs and two falls, etc. There has been more than enough time to form decent 'special teams' units, etc. No doubt losing your starting punter hurts BUT we have no back up punter obviously because Lighborn now 'leading' the Nation as the worst punter in the country. Anyone can understand a freshman making a handful of 'tough' kicks but this is just terrible. As a former punter and QBd myself at the high school level, I did much better than this and got no scholarship offers and that was 38 years ago. I just can't understand how we can be in this situation. Nebraska high schools have to have had atleast a dozen better punters than this last year. Recruit one.

We should spend one scholarship on kicker each year (especially one who can punt and place kick decent). This is so sad to watch happen to another hard working team.

Are you advocating for a scholly kicker and punter? NU has Brown and had Foltz on scholly. Or, are you advocating recruiting a scholly kicker and punter each year? If it's the latter...yeah...you might want to sit the next couple plays out champ.

They were roommates??? Holy sh#t.

Yeah...quite the small world!

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/09/tom_herman_to_lsu_could_reunit.html