Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Nebraska talks like we have all the money in the world and will pay to win championships. I am still waiting for this to happen. Mike Riley is the 42nd highest paid coach (Bo was 35th). Some of the top coordinators are getting over $1 mil per year nowadays.

I am not saying that Riley can never get it done, or we have to pay someone $10 mil / year but it usually works out for the best when you bust out the wallet. I still feel getting a big name D coordinator would help us out tremendously. I think that all other position coaches go well with this team, and another good asst. would help Riley since he is more of a laid back HC.

Pelini was the 24th highest paid coach in 2014. He was the 14th highest paid coach in 2011.

Not sure where you're getting the 35 number.

I went with his highest paid year and if he coached this season compared to others where he would have been. I should have been more clear on that

That's a meaningless comparison. Coaches get paid more every year. Comparing Pelini's highest pay to what coaches made this year doesn't show anything. You have to look at what he was paid each year compared to other coaches in those years. He was in the top 25 every year I've looked up and top 15 at least one season.

So you don't think spending more money on coaches matters?

Someone Banker gone cuz apparently the defense sucks. But wants Stewart to stay cuz the secondary got much better. Yet it's ignored that Banker probably had just as much if not more to do with secondary improvemtn by handling the safeties this year than Stewart did. So that's fun logic.

I'm not sure what to think about Stewart. On one hand, I don't know how much he can be blamed for what goes on during games as he can only work within Banker's scheme. However, he hasn't seemed to do anything to distinguish himself either. Not much on the recruiting front either (so far).

its not a blind defense of Banker but rather a "why are some so extreme negative about him?" type of deal. I dont get it. We saw improvements on defense even after losing two legit DT's. I'm actually anxious to see where the defense goes as we continue to develope defensive lineman. it starts up front.

In ending. I was just pointing out a misinformed hypocrisy. "Banker's gotta gotta go cuz he sucks. But Stewart can stay cuz the secondary improved" when actually, in fact.......

Again...I'm not advocating firing Banker.

But....if we did, why would it be difficult to get a good DC from outside the program this year but not in the future.

right now it seems any big name DC would be downgrading to come here. I mean who is out there that would realistically want to come here right now? And with the salary Langs and Riley are paid right now we aren't going to spend a million dollars on a coordinator. If we do that we have to pay Riley more at least. Maybe in a few years we will have a more complete defensive roster and have made a decision to pay coaches more money.

And either way promoting Bray would be easier than hiring someone now or later, which is the point I was trying to make. If we have a guy who will be a talented DC why don't we make him our DC instead of letting him leave to do that for someone else. Again this is assuming a slow promotion of Bray to DC would be an upgrade over Banker

Well...I don't know the questions in your post because I'm not in the profession. However, if you are expecting to drag a proven DC away from a top 10 team...well....no...they aren't coming here.

But, there seems to be always bright new coaches coaching at either Div 2 or non power 5 places that would jump at a promotion to a place like Nebraska.

Again...I can't name them because I don't have a career in evaluating and paying attention to who is the up and coming bright coaches.

Again...I'm not advocating firing Banker.

But....if we did, why would it be difficult to get a good DC from outside the program this year but not in the future.

right now it seems any big name DC would be downgrading to come here. I mean who is out there that would realistically want to come here right now? And with the salary Langs and Riley are paid right now we aren't going to spend a million dollars on a coordinator. If we do that we have to pay Riley more at least. Maybe in a few years we will have a more complete defensive roster and have made a decision to pay coaches more money.

And either way promoting Bray would be easier than hiring someone now or later, which is the point I was trying to make. If we have a guy who will be a talented DC why don't we make him our DC instead of letting him leave to do that for someone else. Again this is assuming a slow promotion of Bray to DC would be an upgrade over Banker

Well...I don't know the questions in your post because I'm not in the profession. However, if you are expecting to drag a proven DC away from a top 10 team...well....no...they aren't coming here.

But, there seems to be always bright new coaches coaching at either Div 2 or non power 5 places that would jump at a promotion to a place like Nebraska.

Again...I can't name them because I don't have a career in evaluating and paying attention to who is the up and coming bright coaches.

fair enough, I'll take the L

Nebraska talks like we have all the money in the world and will pay to win championships. I am still waiting for this to happen. Mike Riley is the 42nd highest paid coach (Bo was 35th). Some of the top coordinators are getting over $1 mil per year nowadays.

I am not saying that Riley can never get it done, or we have to pay someone $10 mil / year but it usually works out for the best when you bust out the wallet. I still feel getting a big name D coordinator would help us out tremendously. I think that all other position coaches go well with this team, and another good asst. would help Riley since he is more of a laid back HC.

Pelini was the 24th highest paid coach in 2014. He was the 14th highest paid coach in 2011.

Not sure where you're getting the 35 number.

I went with his highest paid year and if he coached this season compared to others where he would have been. I should have been more clear on that

That's a meaningless comparison. Coaches get paid more every year. Comparing Pelini's highest pay to what coaches made this year doesn't show anything. You have to look at what he was paid each year compared to other coaches in those years. He was in the top 25 every year I've looked up and top 15 at least one season.

So you don't think spending more money on coaches matters?

You come to weird conclusions. I just don't like people fishing for numbers to prove their point.

• Fire 1

Someone Banker gone cuz apparently the defense sucks. But wants Stewart to stay cuz the secondary got much better. Yet it's ignored that Banker probably had just as much if not more to do with secondary improvemtn by handling the safeties this year than Stewart did. So that's fun logic.

I'm not sure what to think about Stewart. On one hand, I don't know how much he can be blamed for what goes on during games as he can only work within Banker's scheme. However, he hasn't seemed to do anything to distinguish himself either. Not much on the recruiting front either (so far).

its not a blind defense of Banker but rather a "why are some so extreme negative about him?" type of deal. I dont get it. We saw improvements on defense even after losing two legit DT's. I'm actually anxious to see where the defense goes as we continue to develope defensive lineman. it starts up front.

In ending. I was just pointing out a misinformed hypocrisy. "Banker's gotta gotta go cuz he sucks. But Stewart can stay cuz the secondary improved" when actually, in fact.......

Yeah, I agree with that last point. Perhaps I hadn't seen people defending Stewart so much.

Yeah, I agree with that last point. Perhaps I hadn't seen people defending Stewart so much.

it was just a point made above. Someone wanted Banker gone but stewart could stay cuz the secondary showed improvement. you know me. I'm quick to point out stupidities in things.

It's impossible to fully judge Langsdorf till he has a year or two with a QB that fits his system.

It'a the OC's job to adapt. See what Lane Kiffin has done at Bama.

This... this exactly. If the only offense you can run is 'your offense with your players' then you should not be a FBS 1 DC, because realistically you won't get that in a new position until 3, 4 or even 5 years have passed.

Are you talking about the Alabama that had a QB that completed 66% of his passes?

I have a pretty strong feeling that we would be thinking differently about our offense if Armstrong would have done that.

That stat alone completely changes the offense. Now, I haven't watched Alabama, but I will pretty much guarantee you their QB understood that dumping the ball off to an RB in the flats that can pick up a first down is better than YOLO 40 yards constantly.

When I mention a QB for his system... I'm talking about someone who understands the passing game and works within it to move the ball down the field.

That guy still can be mobile and run for 800 yards a reason like Alabama.

Btw...Armstrong only attempted 1.25 passes more per game. Now...think about that at 66% completion instead of 51%.

Again, I'm no Armstrong apologist.

But he's not so inconsistent that he'll complete 70% of his passes one game and 37% the next if the same type of pass plays are being called. Armstrong has the ability to complete a pretty good percentage if he's put in the right situations. He completed 60%+ three times this season plus another game at almost 59%.

But for whatever reason the types of plays called varied drastically from one game to the next. Yes, there were other options for TA at times. But there were also games where he obviously wasn't given those options and had to throw a short, quick pass. And the passing game was efficient during those games. I don't know why they kept disappearing.

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I re watched the first half pass plays today to watch the line play.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

That's not the play call's fault.

And for some reason some games he would throw that ball very well then the next he couldn't hit it or ignored it.

I re watched the first half pass plays today to watch the line play.

I remember at least twice on YOLO passes that ended drives there were relievers underneath or in the flats open that would have gotten the first down. If he hits those the drive stays alive. He was oblivious to them.

I'm betting the Alabama QB would not have ignored them for a covered receiver 40 yards down field.

That's not the play call's fault.

These arguments are always one-sided - pointing to the time that TA passed on another throw.

My argument is that there are other games when we were calling different types of pass plays that didn't have the deep options for TA to choose. There were several games where we almost exclusively had short routes and TA had high completion percentages those games.

My point is we did not seem to be calling those same types of plays in other games. That is the play caller's fault.