Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Benning pointed out a quote from Banker which read 'Iowas practices' must be blood baths' because of the way both sides control the line if scrimmage. I think the issue goes beyond the coordinators. Not saying anyone besides Read needs to be met go this year, but they now know they need to be more physical at practice. tOSU may have talent but talent can get out competed.

Side note to Langs and Banker take a message from Mike Tyson, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." So build a philosophy and strategy that punches back, and let any team know they are a fight.

Don't think all of those bombs thrown today were on Langs. Cethan Carter and a few others were wide open on those third and medium calls. Tommy just decided to throw a YOLO down the field to a covered WR.

why is there even a receiver running a YOLO route on 3 and 4 then? Don't give him the opportunity to make those dumb decisions
It's called a route tree. Those are meant to occupy safeties and leave the underneath routes open.
is there some other branch in that route tree beside straight up the sidelines?
Yes the f'ing underneath route that was wide open all day and yet Tommy decided that throwing it 50 yards down the field was a better option.
I was more referring to a way to occupy a safety as you mentioned that maybe gives you a higher percentage play. Just wondering I don't know much about the X's and O's

What they're trying to explain is that the "straight up" route probably isn't the first choice. It's there to clear the field for Carter or whoever else. Higher percentage routes probably don't clear out the field as well becausw they would be shorter.

Again, you can't fault the kid for throwing to the assigned read.

We lack imagination in both the throwing and running game.

So you know for sure that the designed read was the deep route? Good maybe we should put you in the box instead of Langsdorf because you obviously are way smarter than him.
  • Fire 3

So you know for sure that the designed read was the deep route? Good maybe we should put you in the box instead of Langsdorf because you obviously are way smarter than him.

I likely am smarter than him. I'm sure a number of people on this board are. But he certainly knows more about x&o's, even if he doesn't always display it.

I likely am smarter than him. I'm sure a number of people on this board are. But he certainly knows more about x&o's, even if he doesn't always display it.
Since you're smarter than him you should let Riley know so he can stop f'ing around with bums like Langs and hire a genius like you.

CM, your telling us that Tommy is supposed to throw it 50 yards down the field when the under receiver is open. My thoughts have always been, Tommy is a gun slinger, and will always take the deep threat if he thinks there is any chance to complete, and a lot of times when there isn't a chance.

For any offense to succeed they have to be able to complete the short to medium routes at a better rate than Tommy has ever shown in 4 years. He is always going for the goal posts. It has to be maddening to try to game plan around his quick draw mentality.

ADS, there are many on this board that know far more about football than our coaching staff, I am amazed you have not learned that by now. With some of these guys, Osborne's records would truly be in danger. The college football world is so lucky we keep them here, our duty to protect the Bama's, Ohio State's, Wisconsin's and USC's of the world.

• Fire 3

I want Banker and Read gone tomorrow at this point. Like I said in another thread, I don't like Langs and some of his game plans, but I'm willing to give him a chance with a true pocket passing QB at the helm to see what the offense will do then. That's kinda been their excuse so far. If they fall flat on their face again next season, Langs can GTFO as well. I'm good with promoting Bray to DC, I agree that he's gone soon if the opportunity presents itself.

And to those questioning if Riley will do it based on pressure he received at OSU to get rid of his coordinators. He's never felt the pressure he's about to feel here at Nebraska to make some changes while he was at OSU. He said he was coming here for one last adventure, one last shot, time to make some changes coach or that adventure and shot will be over soon.

Langsdorf: Stay

He makes some questionable calls in short distances, but I will see what he can do with a pocket QB since that is what he predicates his offense towards. The first half of the year I thought he mixed it up well and pounded the ball late in games. That slowly diminished as the season progressed.

Banker: Fire

I haven't been a fan of his since day 1 and cannot get on his band wagon. Anytime we play a team that can put up some points we get torched by them, even Iowa who can't score. I will say that we did improve this year, but we can def get a better D coordinator. We also didn't play a lot of teams with good offenses this season.

Williams: Stay

Our best recruiter. WRs played well given our QB and their injuries

Bray: Stay

I wasn't as impressed as others with our LB play, but I think Bray is a good coach and would have a possibility to be the D coordinator if no solid names would be interested. Wish we noticed that Young cannot blitz and Newby should have seen the field more.

Parella: Stay

He brings some fire to the defensive side of the ball, and has already recruited two 4* DEs. Davis twins will improve as they get experience

Stewart: Stay

The secondary unit definitely improved. Could be even better with a D coordinator with some IQ. Top 4/5 DBs are back next year

Davis and Cavanaugh: Neutral
I never hear a whole lot from Davis. Bryant will be a good player for us next season. Cav didn't have a lot to work with this year. I think we have some very good young talent

Read: Fire

I don't need to elaborate on this one. Paying $450k to a SP coordinator in CFB. Laughable results to go with that

• Fire 2

Don't think all of those bombs thrown today were on Langs. Cethan Carter and a few others were wide open on those third and medium calls. Tommy just decided to throw a YOLO down the field to a covered WR.

why is there even a receiver running a YOLO route on 3 and 4 then? Don't give him the opportunity to make those dumb decisions
It's called a route tree. Those are meant to occupy safeties and leave the underneath routes open.
is there some other branch in that route tree beside straight up the sidelines?
Yes the f'ing underneath route that was wide open all day and yet Tommy decided that throwing it 50 yards down the field was a better option.
I was more referring to a way to occupy a safety as you mentioned that maybe gives you a higher percentage play. Just wondering I don't know much about the X's and O's
What they're trying to explain is that the "straight up" route probably isn't the first choice. It's there to clear the field for Carter or whoever else. Higher percentage routes probably don't clear out the field as well becausw they would be shorter.
I know it just doesn't make much sense that every other play in the playbook has that same route. If he insists on throwing it and he can't complete it ever then they shouldn't put him in that situation. I highly doubt the safties only responsibility is preventing the that one route, sure it's their job not to let anyone behind them but it just seems like lazy unimaginative play calling to a novice like me.