Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Haven't read this thread, but shouldn't Bray's seat be getting warm? LB play this year was not good to put it kindly. They were maybe the worst tackling unit out their, they consistently over pursued, blitzes rarely if ever got home, and they bit hard on any run action by the offense. Arguably LBs were our weakest link on defense this season. I was not impressed with him...

I give the same answer on Bray that I did when people question Stewart. They are responsible for their position groups but they can only do so much within the framework of the defense we're running. So for me it's hard to judge when I don't think our scheme is very good.

I don't agree with firing anybody else at this point - but please tell me why some of you think Bray is a shoe in for DC or would be good at it? No experience right?

I don't know if he'd be a good DC. But he's a really good recruiter. And he can't be any worse than the DC we have now.

Cosgrove.

Last year's defense was basically the same as Cosgrove's last defense.

I would disagree with that, we had a couple of bad games on defense but Cosgrove's defense completely melted down for 2/3 of a season.

I don't agree with firing anybody else at this point - but please tell me why some of you think Bray is a shoe in for DC or would be good at it? No experience right?

I don't know if he'd be a good DC. But he's a really good recruiter. And he can't be any worse than the DC we have now.

Cosgrove.

I actually think that Callacrap and Cosgrove would be more successful in the B1G than our current staff.

Bastardizing former coaches names doesn't make you look smart or clever.

That said, I'd hire Callahan back as the o-line coach in a heartbeat.

• Fire 1

Cosgrove.

I would disagree with that, we had a couple of bad games on defense but Cosgrove's defense completely melted down for 2/3 of a season.

I'm sure you would disagree. But the facts would make you wrong.

You don't finish #122 in passing defense (in 2015) without melting down a significant amount of time. Especially playing against several not-that-great passing offenses.

In 2007, we allowed our opponents to gain 0.47 more yards per play against us than they did against the rest of their opponents that year.

In 2015, we allowed our opponents to gain 0.42 more yards per play.

So the 2015 defense was a little less than two inches per play better than the 2007 defense. So they were equally pathetic.

• Fire 1

Haven't read this thread, but shouldn't Bray's seat be getting warm? LB play this year was not good to put it kindly. They were maybe the worst tackling unit out their, they consistently over pursued, blitzes rarely if ever got home, and they bit hard on any run action by the offense. Arguably LBs were our weakest link on defense this season. I was not impressed with him...

I give the same answer on Bray that I did when people question Stewart. They are responsible for their position groups but they can only do so much within the framework of the defense we're running. So for me it's hard to judge when I don't think our scheme is very good.

I agree, that was in the back of my head as I was typing. Somehow though you think they would be able to tackle and not totally whiff on sacks and open field tackles 75% of the time. You'd also think he could coach them to slow play pursuit and not get beat because they stuffed a closing gap, and the play bounced outside their contain.

I agree, that was in the back of my head as I was typing. Somehow though you think they would be able to tackle and not totally whiff on sacks and open field tackles 75% of the time. You'd also think he could coach them to slow play pursuit and not get beat because they stuffed a closing gap, and the play bounced outside their contain.

I agree that they seemed to underperform. But as far as the gaps go, I think that's the scheme we're running. The LBs have an assigned gap and they are coached to fill that gap whether the ball is being run in that gap or not. We don't seem to let the LBs read and flow.

I hate to bash a kid but I said it when he was being recruited, and that is that Deidrick Young is soft and not very good. Bray should be able to see that and get someone else in there. Also, it looks like Muhammad Barry has lost his athleticism a bit.

To be fair...wasn't his knee or something pretty busted up this year? And Newby being out that doesn't help...

Also, curious about your conclusion about Barry.

I hate to bash a kid but I said it when he was being recruited, and that is that Deidrick Young is soft and not very good. Bray should be able to see that and get someone else in there. Also, it looks like Muhammad Barry has lost his athleticism a bit.

To be fair...wasn't his knee or something pretty busted up this year? And Newby being out that doesn't help...

Also, curious about your conclusion about Barry.

I didnt know it was Barry at first when he recovered the fumble. He just didnt seem all that sudden.

Cosgrove.

You don't finish #122 in passing defense (in 2015) without melting down a significant amount of time. Especially playing against several not-that-great passing offenses.

In 2007, we allowed our opponents to gain 0.47 more yards per play against us than they did against the rest of their opponents that year.

So the 2015 defense was a little less than two inches per play better than the 2007 defense. So they were equally pathetic.

You can cherry pick statistics to prove any point.

Put both defenses side by side and Cosgrove's was far worse. His defense quit on him at the Missouri game and in that game and the next 3 they gave up a combined 150 points and 2,161 yards of offense. Cosgrove never got his defense back either.

You only wish Banker was that bad.

Cosgrove.

Put both defenses side by side and Cosgrove's was far worse. His defense quit on him at the Missouri game and in that game and the next 3 they gave up a combined 150 points and 2,161 yards of offense. Cosgrove never got his defense back either.

I'm not cherry-picking statistics. I'm comparing how both teams did for the year. You're the one cherry-picking three games. It's tough to get your defense back when you're talking about the last three games he coached.

In our last three losses, we've given up 140 points and 1,519 yards. And that's this year. So there isn't much difference between them. Other than Cosgrose's must have been somewhat better for part of the year to be that bad over those three games and still only be comparable to Banker's for the entire year.

• Fire 1

Cosgrove.

I'm not cherry-picking statistics. I'm comparing how both teams did for the year. You're the one cherry-picking three games. It's tough to get your defense back when you're talking about the last three games he coached.

In our last three losses, we've given up 140 points and 1,519 yards. And that's this year. So there isn't much difference between them. Other than Cosgrose's must have been somewhat better for part of the year to be that bad over those three games and still only be comparable to Banker's for the entire year.

I admit, I cherry picked stats to prove a point, the same as you. I counted 4 games, not 3.

That said, I chose those 4 games because Missouri is where the wheels came off and the next 3 games is the wagon entering a terminal skid, on it's side, with tongue and axels bent and twisted. Players quit on Cosgrove. Who has quit on Banker?

There is just no way that Banker, no matter how much you hate him, is as bad as Cosgrove was. Cosgrove's defense was so bad he got death threats on him and his family.

*Edit* Here's another point I just thought of. Is it fair to compare Banker's first year to Cosgrove's 4th? Cosgrove had 4 years to get those guys playing his defense properly. Last year was Banker's first at NU. I expect growing pains during a coaches first year.