Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Those supporting Langs will say "Look! We tried to run the ball." The other side of the coin is we were the 11th most predictable offense on first down in the country. And when you consider that some of the teams ahead of us were undoubtedly Navy, Army, Georgia Tech and the like who hardy throw it any time, there are not many other offenses who try for some semblance of balance who were more predictable.

And the yards per carry number doesn't account for the fact that we run Inside Zone so much which doesn't give much chance for big plays.

4.56: Yards per carry on first down, Nebraska’s worst average of the Big Ten era. NU ran the ball 302 times — 11th nationally — on first down. That’s more than every other Big Ten team but Wisconsin. But NU’s first-down average ranked 76th nationally and ninth in the league. The Huskers also averaged 3.86 yards per carry in the first quarter. That’s NU’s lowest average since 2009.

OWH

Those supporting Langs will say "Look! We tried to run the ball." The other side of the coin is we were the 11th most predictable offense on first down in the country. And when you consider that some of the teams ahead of us were undoubtedly Navy, Army, Georgia Tech and the like who hardy throw it any time, there are not many other offenses who try for some semblance of balance who were more predictable.

And the yards per carry number doesn't account for the fact that we run Inside Zone so much which doesn't give much chance for big plays.

4.56: Yards per carry on first down, Nebraska’s worst average of the Big Ten era. NU ran the ball 302 times — 11th nationally — on first down. That’s more than every other Big Ten team but Wisconsin. But NU’s first-down average ranked 76th nationally and ninth in the league. The Huskers also averaged 3.86 yards per carry in the first quarter. That’s NU’s lowest average since 2009.

OWH

Langsdorf likes to get creative in the passing game and does a good job of it. It's the complete opposite in the running game, and it's lame.

• Fire 1

I can't believe I'm defending Cosgrove... but his unit also faced good offenses. IIRC, the 2007 team faced 5 top 10 offenses, and played a top 5 schedule. The last 2 years we've played the 2 weakest schedules I can find going back to at least 2003.

Sure but Banker had to play Purdue twice...

And one of those was against an interim head coach!!! Purdue had nothing to lose that game!!!

• Fire 1

OWH

Langsdorf likes to get creative in the passing game and does a good job of it. It's the complete opposite in the running game, and it's lame.

yep its almost like he just throws a simple run play in for no expected effect other than being balanced.no creativity at all.

OWH

I've said this before but it almost seems like his year (two?) in the NFL has an NFL-type scheme in his head. In the NFL, you mainly run inside zone because everyone on the defense is way too fast to run running wide very much. And I do like the design of his passing game but it only works well if you have a QB who's completing mid-60% passes. Getting to 60% would be an accomplishment. Barely above 50% doesn't cut it.

I don't understand why more folks aren't as mad at Langs as much as, if not more so than banker. Banker had to work with a completely rebuilt d-line, lost DTs to the league, a new coach, and new responsibilities. Langs just had to get off his ass and do what he should have done last year, and tailor a game plan to the talent on hand; and Langs was inept at that.

• Fire 1

I know that as far as my expectations for the 2016 season, I am far more disappointed in the performane of the offense than the defense. I expected better secondary play and decent LB play and I think that was born out by the way the games went in general. I worried greatly about the front four because of the many vacancies that had to be filled with inexperienced backups who really came in without much expectation. I give Parella kudos for the performance we did get from those front four considering their 'talent' level to begin with. Imagine what could be accomplished with top ten level players.

The offense may have been slightly better with much more creative and imaginative play calling but really with the poorest offensive line play in the conference, arguably, it is not surprising that our offense was mediocre or less. Our defensive stats would be much better if our offense could have actually sustained drives and scored and given our defense some cushion to work with and confidence that they could play more aggressively as they offense could be counted on to score. We had far to many games when we had to hope the D could stop them to preserve the win or keep us within reach in the fourth quarter.

If you can't block basic run and basic play action and drop back and or shot gun pass plays, you are going to lose! It is fundamental that you must atleast battle to a draw in the line of scrmmage play. If we fix the lines on both offense and defense, we will be a top twenty team and even this year would have been in the conference title game.

• 2 weeks later...

Things that need to happen:

1 - Fire Banker

2 - Fire Reed

3 - Promote Bray to DC

4 - Hire Thompson as full-time assistant

5 - Hire another young, high-energy assistant who can recruit like crazy

6 - ???

7 - Profit

1 - Check

2 - Check

3 - Pending