Iowa Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

NU DC Mark Banker on Iowa's physicality: "I bet their practices are like a bloodbath, because both sides of the ball kind of emulate that."

And that surprised him? As the DC you didn't watch game film? You didn't look at them and then look at us..........

And something similar from Corey Rayond 4 years ago...... Same thing. Look at them and look at us. How about this novel idea. Look at them and develop us to be like them........

The most interesting interview after the game was with Corey Raymond. The secondary coach wasn’t convinced Nebraska had enough talent to beat South Carolina, especially in the secondary.

“Just be honest,” Raymond said. “Look at them, look at us. It’s pretty obvious.”

What did Raymond mean? He didn’t spell it out, but he made veiled criticisms of Nebraska’s personnel. For instance, what did he take from this game going into the offseason?

“Hopefully it helps recruiting. Get athletes.”

Was he encouraged by how NU matched up man-for-man? “Not necessarily.”
Raymond went on to compare the mentality of Southern players versus Nebraska’s players. His guys needed to learn how to punch back once they got “hit in the mouth.”

“You can’t live on what other guys have done in the past around here,” Raymond said. “You have to live on yourself…We’re not Prince. We’re not Eric Hagg. We’re not those guys. We have to do much different things. We have to work harder. We’re not the same athletes as those guys.”

• Fire 1

Riley has been coaching too long for him to fall into a trap.Poor coaching will not cut it here very long.Ask Bo and Frank.

That was kind of a shocking admission. It was like he was stunned that yolo bombs aren't the answer. The thing I like about Riley is his willingness to learn so the faith I will keep.

Its just bad when the announcers were calling us out on it. On one play commenting Westy was in the end zone with his hands on his hips.... another time that Carter was open at the sticks. Even mentioning TA just keys in on one guy and doesn't even see the defense......... I would like to think that an experienced coach like Riley would have intervened.....

Here's the other thing about practicing physical - which Benning has been complaining about the lack thereof for some time:

The story is they don't do a lot of hitting to avoid injuries. Well, it's pretty obvious that isn't helping. One could speculate that we have more injuries because we're not used to getting hit until games.

I'm sure there's a balance in there somewhere. But it doesn't seem like we've found it.

• Fire 1

Riley has been coaching too long for him to fall into a trap.Poor coaching will not cut it here very long.Ask Bo and Frank.

That was kind of a shocking admission. It was like he was stunned that yolo bombs aren't the answer. The thing I like about Riley is his willingness to learn so the faith I will keep.

Its just bad when the announcers were calling us out on it. On one play commenting Westy was in the end zone with his hands on his hips.... another time that Carter was open at the sticks. Even mentioning TA just keys in on one guy and doesn't even see the defense......... I would like to think that an experienced coach like Riley would have intervened.....

As bad as Tommy looked today, today's loss is on the defense. We know what Tommy is and isn't, and he isn't real good at playing from a deep deficit. The yolo bombs work occasionally but not as a philosophy. We need to pound the rock

Here's the other thing about practicing physical - which Benning has been complaining about the lack thereof for some time:

The story is they don't do a lot of hitting to avoid injuries. Well, it's pretty obvious that isn't helping. One could speculate that we have more injuries because we're not used to getting hit until games.

I'm sure there's a balance in there somewhere. But it doesn't seem like we've found it.

Granted, it's the glory days, but NU's practices of old were like battle. Read some of the stuff from TO, Jason Peter and others.... They were brutal and it showed on game day.

It's like the old saying, the more you bleed in training, the less you bleed in combat. Not comparing a game, to combat, but I think it holds true. Practice soft, play soft.....

Riley and the staff were concerned about depth and having guys getting injured in practice. The media pointed out in Fall Camp that they thought the practices were pretty "soft". This was done to protect the players, but it hindered the team as they got into conference play. The team got worn out and beaten up in conference play.

Going forward, I hope that Riley is able to recruit and develop to build quality depth. I also hope that he is not afraid of playing true freshmen to provide depth. With 85 scholarships, teams need to get the most out of that roster. That means recruiting guys who are ready to contribute right away and playing them.

Riley and the staff were concerned about depth and having guys getting injured in practice. The media pointed out in Fall Camp that they thought the practices were pretty "soft". This was done to protect the players, but it hindered the team as they got into conference play. The team got worn out and beaten up in conference play.

Going forward, I hope that Riley is able to recruit and develop to build quality depth. I also hope that he is not afraid of playing true freshmen to provide depth. With 85 scholarships, teams need to get the most out of that roster. That means recruiting guys who are ready to contribute right away and playing them.

Bob Stoops said on his philosophy that they only recruit guys who can contribute right away. Says he doesn't recruit guys to develop. Gotta say I agree with this. These kids are student athletes not professionals. They have to manage class, family, practice, games etc.....They can get stronger, gain experience, but I like the idea of getting guys who can step I'm when needed. I also think practicing hard simply toughens he guys up and gets them ready for the full contact that will happen in games....

I totally agree CM. Darlington is not going to play QB. No coach wants to take the chance on that is my guess. POB should have been practicing and playing the whole year. I really do not care about Redhirts. You sometimes need bodies. The kid signed to play here and when needed. He was needed today, and most likely several other times.

I am a fan of Riley, but you have to have the manpower to play the game. We did not today. When Tommy is not playing well it seems to affect the team. That should have been transitioned through the year I think.

We should have had a viable alternative all year. That is what good teams do. They plan ahead, but not always two years ahead. You do what you have to do to be as competitive as you can. I think Coach Riley failed on that.

As to talent, it was apparent today that we were no where near competitive on the lines. Iowa did what they wanted and when they wanted. Our kids looked clumsy, out of shape, tired and uninspired.

We have a tremendous weapon in Westerkamp. Why he is on the sideline at anytime is beyond me. they have to account for him it would seem.

I do not want to see Coach Riley fired, for three reasons. I like him a lot. I really could not stand the past head coach from day one, and we need to see if they can do things differently with a true passing QB. As to the qualifications of assistant coaches, I know that loyalty is a factor in coaching, so I doubt many will leave.

he was on the sidelines cuz he is always taking himself out.