you don't want to admit it

marko polo

I don't understand people. They want Nebraska to be the team they were for 4 years of Osborne's 25 years, but want to skip the rest. No kidding. Who wouldn't.

For decades this program got 9 wins against horrible competition and 3 losses against decent or good competition. And that was with more scholarships and more walk on in the program.

Now they say we only won 9 because we play terrible teams, but want to be like Wisconsin that play the same teams in the same half of the conference. Wiconsin's schedule is just as bad or good as ours.

Games are funny. Why does Michigan State play Ohio State to 1 point and the next week get beat so badly by Penn State?

• Fire 1

I don't understand people. They want Nebraska to be the team they were for 4 years of Osborne's 25 years, but want to skip the rest. No kidding. Who wouldn't.

For decades this program got 9 wins against horrible competition and 3 losses against decent or good competition. And that was with more scholarships and more walk on in the program.

Now they say we only won 9 because we play terrible teams, but want to be like Wisconsin that play the same teams in the same half of the conference.

Games are funny. Why does Michigan State play Ohio State to 1 point and the next week get beat so badly by Penn State?

Tom Osborne did more than just win 9 games in a bad conference. Osborne had 10+ wins in 17 of his 25 season. The 9 win seasons were his worst years, in a time where they had 11 game regular seasons (most years). The most TO lost in one season was 3 games. If you want to start spouting out memories of Osborne, I recommend you get your facts straight.

You're telling me beating Kansas, Iowa State, K-state, Colorado, Missouri, and Oklahoma State, and our typical non conference was a big deal for decades with our advantage in scholorships and facilities?

It would be like Wisconsin and Nebraska joining the current Mid American confetence and scheduling 1 halfway decent non-conference game before playing each other and a ranked team in a bowl.

I remember the first time K-State played us within a couple scores with Snyder as a coach and the grey hairs in the crowd came unglued. They calmed down after the win, but those were games to cheer on the blowouts.

• Fire 1

You're telling me beating Kansas, Iowa State, K-state, Colorado, Missouri, and Oklahoma State, and our typical non conference was a big deal for decades with our advantage in scholorships and facilities?

It would be like Wisconsin and Nebraska joining the current Mid American confetence and scheduling 1 halfway decent non-conference game before playing each other and a ranked tem in a bowl.

This. Exactly.

It would be like Wisconsin and Nebraska joining the current Mid American confetence and scheduling 1 halfway decent non-conference game before playing each other and a ranked tem in a bowl.

I agree that the Big 8 was not the best conference, but when you say that all fans remember are the 4 amazing years at the end of Osborne's tenure is completely false. TO did more than just win 9 games a year. If you weren't around during that time, I recommend you go back and look who NU played in non-conference matchups and bowl games.

This watering down of expectations by people who supported the firing of two .700+ coaches is amusing.

And sad.

i disagree that this is happening. Most are saying that this season was bad and games like the Iowa game are unacceptable here

Things are just as bad this year as they were with the prior staffs. Too many humiliating losses on the national stage and a lack of real progress and national relevance. We allowed the prior regime to have 7 years of mediocrity (racking up wins against lesser teams) and I sure hope we don't allow the current regime 7 more years before making a move. I'm not saying Riley should go now, but he definitely needs to make coaching adjustments and prove next year that we can compete with the big boys.

I agree that the Big 8 was not the best conference, but when you say that all fans remember are the 4 amazing years at the end of Osborne's tenure is completely false. TO did more than just win 9 games a year. If you weren't around during that time, I recommend you go back and look who NU played in non-conference matchups and bowl games.
I was around. I didn't research just going off the gut feeling of years of being good but couldn't win anything important. Tired from work so I got lazy. I went to school in the late 80s early ninties when teams like K-State and Colorado became threats and we started loosing games to teams like Iowa State.

I watched Washington steam roll us in the 4th quarter during a night game on national TV from the south stadium.

The years before the first championship run didn't impress me. Beat OU a couple of times and Louisiana Tech in some bowl games.

This year reminds me a lot of 1985-1992 teams. I'm willing to give this staff at least anot her year. Except Read. :)

• Fire 1

I'm envious of that talent no doubt. Not sure we've got anybody that could start for either team. Westy maybe

I don't think we have anyone who would start for OSU or Michigan

Michigan's QB was pretty darn good despite the INTs. Most of his passes were spot on, and seeing a QB that can hit targets shows how you can succeed in the offense Riley wants to run. As for Barrett, I honestly don't see much difference in how he's been playing lately with how Tommy has been playing. Neither QB is great at throwing the ball and neither are that accurate. The difference is that OSU's offense is centered around the QB option so he has more opportunities to scramble and make plays with his feet.

I hope Scott Frost continues to grow as a head coach so that when Coach Riley retires (we all know that SE will not fire him) we can offer Scott the head coach position. Who knows-maybe that has been the plan all along?

I doubt that's the plan, wouldn't make sense to go from a zone read offense to a west coast offense then back again.

Now they say we only won 9 because we play terrible teams, but want to be like Wisconsin that play the same teams in the same half of the conference.

Tom Osborne did more than just win 9 games in a bad conference. Osborne had 10+ wins in 17 of his 25 season. The 9 win seasons were his worst years, in a time where they had 11 game regular seasons (most years). The most TO lost in one season was 3 games. If you want to start spouting out memories of Osborne, I recommend you get your facts straight.

yep, and i don't recall remember getting beat 62-3 on national TV while Osborne was coach.

• Fire 1

This. Exactly.

We routinely competed and won against the best teams in the nation

I was around. I didn't research just going off the gut feeling of years of being good but couldn't win anything important. Tired from work so I got lazy. I went to school in the late 80s early ninties when teams like K-State and Colorado became threats and we started loosing games to teams like Iowa State.

I watched Washington steam roll us in the 4th quarter during a night game on national TV from the south stadium.

The years before the first championship run didn't impress me. Beat OU a couple of times and Louisiana Tech in some bowl games.

This year reminds me a lot of 1985-1992 teams. I'm willing to give this staff at least anot her year. Except Read. :)

We routinely played and beat the best teams in the land and were usually ranked in the top 10

Nope. This is absolutely false. Denied. Come back later.