3-4 Defense - Time to Get Serious

ScottyIce

If you guys remember when Dallas hired Parcells the transition was quite interesting at the Middle Backer spots. You usually want giants in there, but they had the smallest Lb's in the league. Coakley and Nguyen. I believe Stewart was around during the transition and would be good at building the defense with odds and ends.

Obviously some fits are going to need new players, but it would have to start somewhere.

DE: Freedom, K Davis, K Davis,

NT: Daniels*, (Maurice would've been good fit), Stolt.

OLB: Neal, A Davis, King, Newby

MLB: Weber, Young, Barry

this comes up every year about Nebraska going to the 3-4 defense and i dont think people understand the different kind of personnel it takes to run a 4-3 vs a 3-4. I am no expert by any means but looking at nebraska's roster i dont see how it would work, who would play the OLB roll in a 3-4 maybe Freedom but i dont think its something he's ever done before and i dont know if he could move well enough in space. DE's are also asked to do different thinks and are usually built differently than our current DE's, maybe the davis twins or Stolt but then who pays that nose tackle position?

Neal. King. Davis. Many of our DE's are projectable that way actually. Neal was recruited for that purpose at Oregon.
just because they look the part doesn't mean much have any of them play OLB? Those guys are either very young or like King have done nothing.

this comes up every year about Nebraska going to the 3-4 defense and i dont think people understand the different kind of personnel it takes to run a 4-3 vs a 3-4. I am no expert by any means but looking at nebraska's roster i dont see how it would work, who would play the OLB roll in a 3-4 maybe Freedom but i dont think its something he's ever done before and i dont know if he could move well enough in space. DE's are also asked to do different thinks and are usually built differently than our current DE's, maybe the davis twins or Stolt but then who pays that nose tackle position?

Neal. King. Davis. Many of our DE's are projectable that way actually. Neal was recruited for that purpose at Oregon.
just because they look the part doesn't mean much have any of them play OLB? Those guys are either very young or like King have done nothing.
I would put Neal as a 3-4 DE. He is listed at 6-7 270 lbs.

I would think that OLB's in a 3-4 (especially in college) are more in the 6'2"-6'4 240-260 lbs.

NU's current DE's wouldn't slide out to be OLB's, they would continue being DE's in the 3-4, but DE's in the 3-4 don't have a lot of pass rushing responsibilities. They pretty much play like 3 or 5 technique DT's.

The primary pass rushers in a 3-4 come from the OLB's. This would be how the Broncos use Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware and Shane Ray.

• Fire 2

NU's current DE's wouldn't slide out to be OLB's, they would continue being DE's in the 3-4, but DE's in the 3-4 don't have a lot of pass rushing responsibilities. They pretty much play like 3 or 5 technique DT's.

The primary pass rushers in a 3-4 come from the OLB's. This would be how the Broncos use Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware and Shane Ray.

Yup. A lot of time you'll see a 5-2 look out of the 3-4. Especially in the Big10 it would look like we're in a stand up 5-2. Problem is, you have to have good DE's but HAVE TO HAVE REALLY good MLB's.

Watched Oregon run the 3-4 for a long time. When they were good on D was when they had great MLB's. Not having great playmakers there is what killed them. A lot.

I really like 3-5-3

Not many gap 8's played in college and for good reason due to lack of a pass coverage. However I'm the kind of guy that likes to play around with personnel and try new things.

Teach found some stuff on the 3-5-3 and implemented it on his football team at the end of the season. From the stuff he showed me, it looks really cool and probably works great at the high school level. It creates a lot of confusion for the offense.

I really like 3-5-3

Not many gap 8's played in college and for good reason due to lack of a pass coverage. However I'm the kind of guy that likes to play around with personnel and try new things.

Teach found some stuff on the 3-5-3 and implemented it on his football team at the end of the season. From the stuff he showed me, it looks really cool and probably works great at the high school level. It creates a lot of confusion for the offense.

Great in HS! If it's run correctly. Pretty versatile in my opinion.

• Fire 1

I really like 3-5-3

I think it would be great in high school because you have so many kids that are around the same size and speed, so it would make sense for the front 8 to have similar responsibilities that change with the defense call.

I really like 3-5-3

I love it and found a great website on it!

I would put Neal as a 3-4 DE. He is listed at 6-7 270 lbs.

I would think that OLB's in a 3-4 (especially in college) are more in the 6'2"-6'4 240-260 lbs.

Neal just based on his measurables would work, Stolt looks the part but I don't know if he has the athleticism to play on the edge, The Davis twins at DE in a 3-4 would be interesting. But we don't have a nose tackle and no one has seen Alex Davis or Freedom play OLB so who knows

DE: Freedom - Neal, Natter

NG: K. Davis - Fr or Juco
DE: C. Davis - Mick, King

OLB: Newby, Ferguson - Miller, Davis, Alexander

MLB: Young, Weber - Jefferson, Barry

3-4 would work more in our favor in regards to DE's since we can never get an athletic pass rusher. Would need to find a NT and add some more quality depth at LB. I will say we have some young freshman that could turn into good LBs and DE's - right now I am hoping Neal and someone else can turn out. I think Miller will be a solid DE for us in his time here in a 4-3.