After Taylor..then what?

i have to admit, the fact that we do not have a solid back up to Zack Taylor has me a little worried this year......sure Beck stepped in and made one throw and we got a field goal and won the game (in which Taylor was knocked out) last year ...but guys, if Taylor should go down for more than one game, we have suddenly gone one deminsional and back to a running game that has yet to prove itself along with the O line that will be needed to make it work....i see this as a possible delima for 2006.....hope i am wrong and Zach gets through the year unscathed.....BUT even if that happens where does that leave us for 2007? some may see me as a worry-wart, but with the slow development of the back ups and no rising start secured in the ongoing recruitment of the 2007 class, this has got to be a budding concern for Cally and the boyz....the WCO lives and breaths on the arm of a good qb.....at this point we have only one, that is battle tested and proven......

hunter

i'm hoping that cally can pull in a big qb recruit this year, and push beck to play his best. i think beck just needs to get his confidence up with some game action. We saw what he could do in the clutch w/ just a little play action. cally better give him some time early in the season when the big red is crushing teams. if he can get 50 or so attemps this upcoming season i will be happy.

In some respects, we are where we were last year at QB. Beck did get very limited game experience in 05. Couple that with a spring that was less than what he wanted, he probably isn't exactly where he would like to be.

However, the kid is just finishing up his freshman year. His first spring is behind him. He's still young and I think in time he'll get there. He still has the tools.

As for this year, if we get some games in hand by mid 3rd quarter hopefully he will get some solid time at least taking some live snaps. That is, of course, if he is in fact number 2. I think he will be after fall camp. No disrespect to Joey Ganz, but Harrison is much more talented.

It's really hard to judge where he is at right now because we can't watch all of practice and he hasn't really be in any games.

Yes without Taylor we are in trouble...just like 95% of all teams without their starting QB

This is a great point that most people just don't understand.

How many teams can afford to lose thier starting QB and still maintain the level of play they had with them? I can think of maybe two or three. I think a lot of Nebraska teams remember the 94-95 season where Matt Turman was able to come in and manage the game while both Tommie and Brook were hurt. Well folks, that is why those teams are considered by many to be some of the greatest of all time.

If Vince Young would have had a season ending injury last year, Texas wouldn't have won the National Championship, there's really no arguing that. If Leinart would have went out, they would have been left with a talented backup with no experience and would most likely have struggled, even with the great talent around him.

The point is, we are in no worse shape than almost every other college out there and actually in better shape than many. At least we have a backup with some experience and who does have ability and potential. Would the drop off be significant, yes, but no more so than say Ohio State or Notre Dame.

sorry, but i disagree......we have no proven running game (yet) to fall back on....that is what has me worried.....some of the other teams have a run game and solid O line play they can count on.....those 2 key assests are still in the developmental stages for NU.....that is why Taylor was on his back so much last year, or at least one of the reasons....he must stay healthy for at least most of the year for us to be a factor as we all hope......

hunter

I've got to admit I was a bit worried earlier with the reports coming out of spring practice. However, Beck is only a freshman and I think he will be fine. It took Taylor a while to get the hang of things and he had more experience than Beck. Callahan has gone on record saying Beck is on track and that he is not worried. I defer to his judgement.