"Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays"

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Happy Holidays covers everything. Merry Christmas doesn't. It's not like they are mutually exclusive. I especially don't understand insisting on saying it on principle even to people you may know don't celebrate Christmas. Is that really wishing the other party well, or making a point for your own sake?

Christmas is still Christmas whether or not it is officially celebrated by everyone around us. And the latter need not be aggressively maintained. That is, as long as the goal is actually share in a communal holiday spirit encompassing everyone, and not to ensure the preeminence of the Christian December holiday in America.

End of thread right there

• Fire 1

I went to a Hanukah dinner last night with my girlfriend. According to some posters logic on here, I should have wished them all a Merry Christmas...

Who is saying that?

HuskermanMike, basically. Although to be fair he's saying it's what he does, 'cause I asked the Muslim/Jewish question.

But I also find it weird that people would tell a clearly Jewish/Muslim person Merry Christmas. Basically I'm saying people shouldn't be offended but it doesn't make sense telling someone you know is Jewish "Merry Christmas"

What an incredibly bizarre statement! I've known several people who are Jewish since I was a kid and I've wished them Merry Christmas every year and they aren't offended in the least bit.

But I also find it weird that people would tell a clearly Jewish/Muslim person Merry Christmas. Basically I'm saying people shouldn't be offended but it doesn't make sense telling someone you know is Jewish "Merry Christmas"

What an incredibly bizarre statement! I've known several people who are Jewish since I was a kid and I've wished them Merry Christmas every year and they aren't offended in the least bit.

Its like telling an Alabama fan GBR. They wont be offended, but they will wonder why you're saying that to them.

• Fire 4

Its like telling an Alabama fan GBR. They wont be offended, but they will wonder why you're saying that to them.

Great example.

And Street conveniently forgot to quote the part where I said non-Christians who are told Merry Christmas are weird if it offends them.

Oops?

• Fire 2

I went to a Hanukah dinner last night with my girlfriend. According to some posters logic on here, I should have wished them all a Merry Christmas...

Who is saying that?

HuskermanMike, basically. Although to be fair he's saying it's what he does, 'cause I asked the Muslim/Jewish question.

Not the way I took his comments. There obviously is certain stirrings it wouldn't be said.

But, I have no problem telling a Jewish friends merry Christmas and he would turn around and say happy Hanukkah.

And, it's nothing like saying GBR yo an Alabama fan.

Who is saying that?
Not the way I took his comments. There obviously is certain stirrings it wouldn't be said.

But, I have no problem telling a Jewish friends merry Christmas and he would turn around and say happy Hanukkah.

Oh so this thread is about what we would say to our friends now? I thought it was about what we would say to random people on the street. My bad. If were talking about what we would say to our friends I like to say merry christmas ya filthy animal. Now go f#*k yourself.

Obviously we would say things to our friends we might not say to someone we dont know and they wouldnt mind as much

• Fire 1

Who is saying that?

Oh so this thread is about what we would say to our friends now? I thought it was about what we would say to random people on the street. My bad. If were talking about what we would say to our friends I like to say merry christmas ya filthy animal. Now go f#*k yourself.

Obviously we would say things to our friends we might not say to someone we dont know and they wouldnt mind as much

"Happy Christmafunk"

"Happy anniversary of the day that Jesus emerged from his mother's birth canal"

(okay I've never said the 2nd one but maybe I will next year).

Who is saying that?

Oh good lord.

It was one example.

Who is saying that?

Oh good lord.

It was one example.

Would you honestly tell a stranger in a yamulke Merry Christmas? How about a client in a yamulke?

I very well might and I would expect him to turn around and say happy Hanukkah.

It would make more sense than telling him happy Hanukkah since in not Jewish.

You see, I view it as an expression of love and happiness coming from the one saying it not me trying to act like something I'm not.

Him saying happy Hanukkah would mean more to me than him saying merry christmas.

It's just personal experience of course but any time a Jewish, Hindu, Muslim or athiest says anything to me about a holiday it's the Christian one going on at the time. I've never had a Hindu tell me happy Diwali, nor anyone of other religions mention their own holidays. I have co workers of multiple religions and had acquaintances of multiple religions in school and I've never once been told to have a happy-other-religion's-celebration.

That said it could be totally different if I lived in a country where one of those were the predominant religion. Maybe that's the most important variable here.

• Fire 1