"Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays"

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder how productive the people of the US would be if they took all the energy they spend finding something to complain about, and do something that makes a difference?

Almost no one complains about this.

That was my belief as well.

200w.gif#23

I wonder how productive the people of the US would be if they took all the energy they spend finding something to complain about, and do something that makes a difference?

Almost no one complains about this.
That was my belief as well.

200w.gif#23

We're in a topic about it. People seem to have this weird idea that because people like to shoot the sh#t about topics on a message board that the topic is high on the list of things they care about.

• Fire 2

How fragil some people must be if they take my wishing them 'Merry Christmas' as an insult to their religious beliefs or non-religious beliefs. Who the hell has the book of the do's and dont's in the world we live now? If I wish someone anything other than 'Merry Christmas', to those I say it too, it would be an insincere tiding, because I have no clue to what they feel or believe. I say it because I mean it.

I can't imagine how one can operate (living life), always trying appease others in a PC manner.

Actually, my intent for creating this thread was not because I had seen people get upset about being told "Merry Christmas." I created it because of the following quote -

"I'm a good Christian," the Republican presidential front-runner said. "If I become president, we're gonna be saying Merry Christmas at every store ... You can leave happy holidays at the corner." - Donald Trump

So, we shouldn't act like or suggest non-Christians are to blame.

Edit - I'm not saying Christians are to blame, either, or that any blame need be placed. One could easily prove some people don't like either one.

I am not blaming anyone for anything here!

I don't give two sh*ts what DT says about Christmas, what he is, or isn't going to do!

He and every other politician I have known, are about as moral and ethical as a whore in heat!

I do not look at people and try to analyze what (if any), religion they believe in, are they gay or straight, are REP or DEM, what race they are. I look at people and if they are good people (perceived by actions and demeanor), and I value their being, I wish them the highest level of best wishes I can think of, and from my viewpoint, that is Merry Christmas, when Christmas is the holiday.

When it is Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween or most of the other holidays, I wish people 'Happy ________'.

Why is it that those of you who are beating the drum about protecting the rights of everyone, are the ones who live your daily life, profiling?

Edit~

You can say you are doing just the opposite by saying happy holidays, thus respecting everyone, but you are the ones who are putting thought into why you are wording things as you do, to insure you are not offending anyone. I say what I say because it comes from the heart. If I wanted to offend someone, I am not shy!

Apologies on my part - I didn't mean to insinuate you were blaming anyone.

However, I will say your viewpoint on the matter seems a little hypocritical and/or obtuse. You're suggesting, whether your realize this or not, that the whole reason this is an issue is because people don't like or they get offended by someone telling them "Merry Christmas." Yet, we have clear cut proof that just the opposite is also true - people want Merry Christmas to remain the clear-cut default way to wish someone well over the holidays regardless of their religious beliefs.

Your other holiday examples also aren't very analogous because we don't walk around wishing random strangers Happy Valentine's Day or Happy Easter like we do Merry Christmas. Perhaps you do, but as a society, that's uncommon (at least it has been in my life). The idea that it's somehow profiling to wish someone Happy Holidays is equally dumbfounding when it's a generic holiday greeting.

As I stated earlier, I'm not here to tell anyone they have to say Happy Holidays, but I do think it's important to at least recognize on some level why Merry Christmas may not be an appropriate way to greet every single person around the holidays. I think it's equally important to drop the banner that this is somehow a "PC culture" problem when we have the soon-to-be most powerful man in the world telling millions of his cretinous, imbecilic followers (who will do anything that he says) that we all need to tell people Merry Christmas because that's what he believes.

• Fire 1

Not gonna bother quoting every post people made where they don't think it should offend anyone, but they're there for you to find. I personally said more than once the (almost non existent) issue I have is with people getting upset that companies want their employees to say happy holidays, then went on to explain that they have legitimate and good reasons for wanting their employees to say happy holidays. I said it was a little weird to tell an obviously Jewish stranger Merry Christmas. I didn't say anything about it being insulting or disrespectful but that's the conclusion you came up with somehow.

I really don't understand why this, selective reading, happens all the time. It happened in the racism thread too.

I say what I mean and not everyone does that so maybe that's why half of what I say is read into wrong.

Just not sure what the long discussion is about then.

Hey, me either. Frankly I'm confused why this is even a thread.

I guess that's why I was under the impression people thought it was offensive or disrespectful if I say merry Christmas to someone who isn't christian. If not, what is this thread about?