CBSSports: 247 Roster talent rankings for 2017

Saunders

Do you think the Patriots would trade Amendola for Jones? Maybe. but they just won the Superbowl without him, in fact without anyone like him. They have been doing this for years.

It is about buy-in, development and who wants it more.

The Patriots often check down to high percentage throws to smallish hard working guys with good hands.

Apparently that is pretty effective.

SO it is NOT all about talent on your roster. You need a certain modicum of course, but beyond that...the real key is leadership.

And having one or two studs don't hurt...

the Patriots would trade Amendola for Jones in a heartbeat if it fit their cap situation
Neither you nor I can speak for that organization. Your qualifier is a big one. You are talking about moving pieces of a very successful puzzle.

Do you think the Patriots would trade Amendola for Jones? Maybe. but they just won the Superbowl without him, in fact without anyone like him. They have been doing this for years.

The Patriots often check down to high percentage throws to smallish hard working guys with good hands.

SO it is NOT all about talent on your roster. You need a certain modicum of course, but beyond that...the real key is leadership.

the Patriots would trade Amendola for Jones in a heartbeat if it fit their cap situation
Neither you nor I can speak for that organization. Your qualifier is a big one. You are talking about moving pieces of a very successful puzzle.
I'm talking about trading a replaceable player with the leagues best at that position. It's not a hard decision. The Patriots have been taking players like Amendola and turning them into stars for 10 years now.

Brady has always had good seasons but he had his best when Randy Moss was on the team. Just because he can make due with pretty good players doesn't mean he can't elevate that game when playing with better players.

I'm talking about trading a replaceable player with the leagues best at that position. It's not a hard decision. The Patriots have been taking players like Amendola and turning them into stars for 10 years now.

Brady has always had good seasons but he had his best when Randy Moss was on the team. Just because he can make due with pretty good players doesn't mean he can't elevate that game when playing with better players.

Thats not what Belichek told me

And that's about where we've been finishing seasons at. Imagine that.

And Wisconsin has been recruiting in the 30-50 range and that's where they're ranked on this list...but not where they are ranked period. Imagine that.

In other words, take these 'rankings' with a grain of salt.

How many playoff appearances or national championships do they have?
i think at this point we just want to win our division. At some point a conference championship should happen but talking about playoffs- there is so much more that goes into it. And to actually come out of the playoff as champs? I think we need to just let that dream die and if it ever occurs it will be amazing but it's not something we should try to base our program around

That is sad. If you aren't trying to win a NC, then you will have a hard time winning the conference.

Methinks you have that backwards.

Not really because Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU are gunning for a NC not just a Big10 east championship. I would say that anyone trying to compete with those teams are also trying to compete for a NC.

99.9% of the time, you have to win your conference (or should win your conference) to be in National Title contention. Focus on winning the consistently winning the division, then build up to winning the conference. If you win the Big Ten in a consistent manner, chances are better than most that you will find yourself in national title contention.

really? What did he tell you in this conversation?

The fact of the matter is if yiu have a chance to trade Amendola for Jones with no negative salary cap impact you make that trade every time. Jones is an elite player. Amendola is an above average one (maybe) sometimes it really is that simple

The fact of the matter is if yiu have a chance to trade Amendola for Jones with no negative salary cap impact you make that trade every time. Jones is an elite player. Amendola is an above average one (maybe) sometimes it really is that simple

Again with the huge qualifier.

"With no negative salary cap impact."

That results in multiple personnel shifts. The Patriots were probably thinking about that in the last few years as they built their team dont ya think?

You might as well be saying it is a no brainer to jump off a cliff if there was no negative gravity impact

That results in multiple personnel shifts. The Patriots were probably thinking about that in the last few years as they built their team dont ya think?

You might as well be saying it is a no brainer to jump off a cliff there was no negative gravity impact

But that's not what you said. You said the Patriots wouldn't trade Amendola for Jones straight up. Of course they aren't going to try to actually swing that trade. But you made it out to be the Patriots would rather have Amendola than Jones. I don't think that's the case

Average rating for years 2, 3, 4 is 30 for NU. Better metric imo. Nearly the same though. '13 class will contribute jack to the team this year. 17 class will contribute forced into action players. Let's hope some turn into veterans quickly.

3-2 record, perhaps even 2-3, vs Oregon, Wisky, NW, Iowa and bowl....should get NU rated at seasons end. Won't be easy but very possible.

The part in green...that's because just about all of them have either exhausted their eligibility or transferred out.

According to my count, there are literally only 2 players left on the team from that recruiting class, and they're redshirt seniors. [David Knevel and Boaz Joseph]

So technically you're right, but not for the reason you're implying.

Lulz. Block me please. BTW try focus on clear meaning before you wander off into your fancy implication analysis.

In other words, take these 'rankings' with a grain of salt.

They're more valuable than that.

"Since 1996 every team that has won a national title except for Oklahoma in 2000 has had at least two top ten national signing classes in the four years before a title."

LINK

And what did Cowherd just say about the 90's?
I don't listen to Cowherd.

Her you go,

Colin makes one of the better parallels I have heard in a while

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/watch-nebraska-1990s-huskers-football-dynasty

I think he makes a good point but it doesn't change two things.

First, recruiting and coaching still go hand-in-hand. Nebraska recruited some really talented players who were bolstered by the great coaches, systems, culture and rules of the day. Suggesting otherwise is ludicrous. So, back to BlitzFirst's point, the idea that rankings should be taken "with a grain of salt" is foolish.

Second, who has been saying football IS all about roster talent? Your statement above says "SO it is NOT all about roster talent." Who is saying it is?

You might as well be saying it is a no brainer to jump off a cliff there was no negative gravity impact

But that's not what you said. You said the Patriots wouldn't trade Amendola for Jones straight up. Of course they aren't going to try to actually swing that trade. But you made it out to be the Patriots would rather have Amendola than Jones. I don't think that's the case

I dont recall saying that the Patriots would not trade Amendola for Jones straight up. I DO believe that chasing big talent is not the Patriots way. Look they have been winning Superbowls with no name players, one hell of a quarterback and a coach who believes more in a CODE and a SYSTEM than he does TALENT.

I have been extremely consistent on this board, that player development, having core values in your program is more important than posessing raw talent.

I'd say Belichek would ask JJones, are you willing to do what it takes to be a Patriot, and if the answer was no, or there was any doubt as to his conduct or commmitment, Belichek would tell Jones to take his 38" vertical, 8 foot wingspan, crazy glue hands, and take a hike.

Average rating for years 2, 3, 4 is 30 for NU. Better metric imo. Nearly the same though. '13 class will contribute jack to the team this year. 17 class will contribute forced into action players. Let's hope some turn into veterans quickly.

3-2 record, perhaps even 2-3, vs Oregon, Wisky, NW, Iowa and bowl....should get NU rated at seasons end. Won't be easy but very possible.

The part in green...that's because just about all of them have either exhausted their eligibility or transferred out.

According to my count, there are literally only 2 players left on the team from that recruiting class, and they're redshirt seniors. [David Knevel and Boaz Joseph]

So technically you're right, but not for the reason you're implying.

Lulz. Block me please. BTW try focus on clear meaning before you wander off into your fancy implication analysis.

Lulz? :facepalm:

What I said was perfectly clear to everyone, except you. :dunno

Just an FYI for ya all...this is a Husker Football forum. There is a place to discuss NFL topics and I suggest you move this nonsensical BS there.

Just figured I'd let you know that since you derailed this thread and beat it with a stick for the past few days.

You are correct, my bad

dvd out