Spring Game discussion

Damon Benning's twitter implies that we're running the 4-2-5 instead of the 3-4 today. Can anyone watching the game confirm or comment?

I think that's part of Diaco's defense. It's always (that I've seen - haven't watched the whole thing) the Boundary OLB that has his hand down. That spot is closer to a DE while the Field OLB is closer to a Nickel/Safety.

Are we also subbing another LB for a DB? Or is this really more a semantic difference between the 4-3 and 4-2?

semantics. Gifford is the the 5th DB and our boundary LB is the 4th lineman

Ok, so we're just having an OLB in a down stance. That makes more sense.

The three most encouraging things I've seen so far are the D-line getting their hands up and knocking down some passes, the addition of some power and counter run plays with pulling guards (and I think I even saw a trap once!) Also, the running backs, all 5 deep, have looked good. Bryant, Wilbon, Ozigbo, Rose, and Mazour (sp?) Have all looked good. And not necessarily in that order either.

One thing I'm both very suprised and encouraged by is how close the QB competition is, especially with how well all three have played. Come fall our offense is gonna be good, especially since the o-line doesn't look nearly as bad as some have feared.

Damon Benning's twitter implies that we're running the 4-2-5 instead of the 3-4 today. Can anyone watching the game confirm or comment?

I think that's part of Diaco's defense. It's always (that I've seen - haven't watched the whole thing) the Boundary OLB that has his hand down. That spot is closer to a DE while the Field OLB is closer to a Nickel/Safety.

Are we also subbing another LB for a DB? Or is this really more a semantic difference between the 4-3 and 4-2?

Yes and I think this is a look we will give at times this season coming up but I'm sure we will have plenty of other formations and this won't be our base

Yes and I think this is a look we will give at times this season coming up but I'm sure we will have plenty of other formations and this won't be our base

I was thinking 4-2-5 comments were about personnel; however, it sounds like they are more about philosophy.

Really like what I saw today. All of the quarterbacks, including Bunch looked good. The Red defense held strong after a score by Gebbia. The running backs looked good behind an offensive line that was holding blocks, pulling, making lanes. The things you want to see. We saw some great stuff from our backs deeper on the depth chart in Rose and Mazour. We used our Tight Ends very effectively. Our D line was batting passes down, something that will be key in the 3-4. Strong showing today I think

Well, all told I think this is the best spring game under Riley. As a team we showed a lot of improvement on offense, and a good deal of potential on defense. Once that new D is fully installed I fully expect us to be a tough out for the majority of our opponents. From where I'm standing, a lot of questions I had coming into spring were answered, and although some questions haven't been answered yet, the future looks bright. GBR!