Spring Game discussion

This defense will definitely be getting great looks all season long. This white team has some talent and that will be great in practice. We are talking about the defense but after that first score they have settled in.

Not gonna lie, I kind of like Lee a little more than Jackson at the other corner spot

Damon Benning's twitter implies that we're running the 4-2-5 instead of the 3-4 today. Can anyone watching the game confirm or comment?

Confirmed
Weird. I'm surprised there isn't more commentary about it here or on the radio broadcast.
It's very basic and they won't be doing this in the fall per Diaco

Also if you read the article about Diaco's 3-4 he talks about learning in a 4-2-5 scheme and how he felt as if the personell was nearly identical in those 2 defenses

Damon Benning's twitter implies that we're running the 4-2-5 instead of the 3-4 today. Can anyone watching the game confirm or comment?

Confirmed

Weird. I'm surprised there isn't more commentary about it here or on the radio broadcast.

Then why do it at all? We don't have a vanilla 3-4 play call? And how much have we been practicing the 4-2-5 in preparation for the spring game and then not use it this fall? It's weird.

Edit: I know that Diaco has previously said that his 3-4 defense has a lot of similarities to the 4-2-5, so I suspect there's more to it than just keeping the 3-4 secret.

Confirmed
Then why do it at all? We don't have a vanilla 3-4 play call? And how much have we been practicing the 4-2-5 in preparation for the spring game and then not use it this fall? It's weird.

Edited my post, Diaco has 4-2-5 experience as well and thinks the 2 defenses are similar. Also they may not want to tip their hand on the 3-4 in the spring game

Don't think it would be fair to doubt on the defense as Diaco said something to the effect that he wouldn't be showing anything much new so they are playing generic. This helps the offense but I think things seem pretty positive. Not gonna see pass rushes as QBs off limits. Let the QBs get settled too.

I understand that. I suppose I was hoping for a greater show of individual skill, some penetration and block shedding, even without big hits on the QB. There have been a few flashes, but I was hoping for a bit more. Im sure come fall, when we can play the actual scheme Diaco has been installing, and we start showing some more stunts and zone blitzes, we can get some good pressure.

Besides, we've got all fall to really install the new D.

Confirmed

Edited my post, Diaco has 4-2-5 experience as well and thinks the 2 defenses are similar. Also they may not want to tip their hand on the 3-4 in the spring game

I also edited my post.

I think that's part of Diaco's defense. It's always (that I've seen - haven't watched the whole thing) the Boundary OLB that has his hand down. That spot is closer to a DE while the Field OLB is closer to a Nickel/Safety.

Confirmed
I also edited my post.

What nphusker said sums up why we are doing this. Diaco said as much prior to the game that this won't be much like the defense we see in the fall. I'm sure we will see some 4-2-5 looks during the season as well but it will likely be one of many different looks

I think that's part of Diaco's defense. It's always (that I've seen - haven't watched the whole thing) the Boundary OLB that has his hand down. That spot is closer to a DE while the Field OLB is closer to a Nickel/Safety.

Are we also subbing another LB for a DB? Or is this really more a semantic difference between the 4-3 and 4-2?

Are we also subbing another LB for a DB? Or is this really more a semantic difference between the 4-3 and 4-2?
semantics. Gifford is the the 5th DB and our boundary LB is the 4th lineman
  • Fire 1