OWH Pick Six Podcast 4/18 - Spring Observations

Sam's comments about the o-line generally are in comparison to the lines of Iowa and Wisconsin, the 2 teams that are in direct competition with NU. Compared to those lines, NU has sucked the past number of years and are undersized.

Based on the behemoths that NU is recruiting across the line, I think Cav would say that the current line is "undersized". When Nick Gates was recruited, he was thought of being a good guard or center, but he is the starting tackle. It shouldn't be a stretch that he is considered undersized at that position.

the only thing i will say about the run game is that you are also going to see a lot of bubble screens and tunnel screens that while they are technically "passes" are just an extension of the run game. People I think tend to get obsessed with handing the ball to the RB out of the backfield and look at the pure rushing numbers rather than seeing that we will be running a lot of quick passes and screens in addition to the traditional runs in order to achieve the same thing.

the only thing i will say about the run game is that you are also going to see a lot of bubble screens and tunnel screens that while they are technically "passes" are just an extension of the run game. People I think tend to get obsessed with handing the ball to the RB out of the backfield and look at the pure rushing numbers rather than seeing that we will be running a lot of quick passes and screens in addition to the traditional runs in order to achieve the same thing.

Yes, there will be more screen plays called, but every report I saw said that the team and o-line really struggled in the screen game.

I agree that focusing on an arbitrary number for the run game production isn't the best thing to do, but I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that the team needs to be able to run the ball successfully to have a successful season. If the success of the offense depends too much on the right arm of Tanner Lee, the offense may not be as successful as we would like.

Maybe I haven't read too much of Sam's stuff lately, but he seems both positive and fair -- especially upbeat about Riley.

But yeah, I think it probably won't go too much higher than 150, but who knows. I expect a lot more passing this year and a lot of reliance on that for yardage. It's going to hurt if we can't protect the QB. We really need a running game to be able to lean on, but I'll believe that's there when I see it. Ozigbo falling off the radar a bit is a big concern to me. Need him to be productive.

Why do they need Ozigbo to be productive? Why is he more important than any other back? It is because he is a bigger back? Why is it so important that Nebraska rush for 200 yards a game? If they get 150 on the ground and the backs pick up another 75 on pass plays what does it matter? How many yards a game they get running the ball is much less important than what the yard per carry is and if they can run the ball when they need to.

I know everyone is very fond of the power running game, I fall into that catagory too, but it really isn't what MR and DL want to do with their offence.

• Fire 2

Yes, there will be more screen plays called, but every report I saw said that the team and o-line really struggled in the screen game.

I agree that focusing on an arbitrary number for the run game production isn't the best thing to do, but I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that the team needs to be able to run the ball successfully to have a successful season. If the success of the offense depends too much on the right arm of Tanner Lee, the offense may not be as successful as we would like.

It is no different than the offense being dependent on TA being effective running the ball. As we saw after he was hurt he was not worth a crap because he couldn't move and he couldn't throw the ball so that really hurt the production.

It is no different than the offense being dependent on TA being effective running the ball. As we saw after he was hurt he was not worth a crap because he couldn't move and he couldn't throw the ball so that really hurt the production.

Yes, you are correct. But that's the exact point that Sam is trying to make. If the team can't run the ball effectively using the RB's (or WR in jet sweep) than the offense could struggle. If the team can only average 125 YPG running, it puts a lot of pressure on Lee to be "great".

Why do they need Ozigbo to be productive?

Because we need several good RBs. If you can't rely on the run game at all, that's a reason for your offense to collapse. I favor a pass-first philosophy, and that's much stronger with some workhorse backs.

If Bryant, Wilbon, etc emerge that's fine too and will work just as well. Ozigbo has been the closest thing to reliable lately though, and if they're talking about him sliding down below a walk-on it's one heck of a drop. It's a legitimately concerning and negative development.

And, yes, a power back is important -- even in pass first offenses where you have excellent receiving backs. Picking up 150 on the ground isn't a trivial task. If we don't have a reliable stable we're not likely to bother trying -- and then it comes down to the OTs who are a fairly serious ? mark. If you can run the ball when you need to, then you do it, so the stats kinda do bear this out.

Yes, you are correct. But that's the exact point that Sam is trying to make. If the team can't run the ball effectively using the RB's (or WR in jet sweep) than the offense could struggle. If the team can only average 125 YPG running, it puts a lot of pressure on Lee to be "great".

Sure possibly, but it is possible that a good passing game can open up the run. Throwing the ball at a 65% clip is going to loosen up the defense and allow for more running lanes. Teams dared Nebraska to throw last year, because they were only a 50% passing team. They loaded the box and dared TA to beat them with his arm which he couldn't do.

Sure possibly, but it is possible that a good passing game can open up the run. Throwing the ball at a 65% clip is going to loosen up the defense and allow for more running lanes. Teams dared Nebraska to throw last year, because they were only a 50% passing team. They loaded the box and dared TA to beat them with his arm which he couldn't do.

I don't buy the premise of the passing game opening up the run. Also, the QB run game takes away a defender to stop the RB run game, just like a quality passing game does.

There is no sense going around and around on this. We each have our opinions. Sam has questions and concerns about the offense, and I think they are viable concerns. I think a lot of fans are saying "The offense will be fine with a new QB" and I don't think it's that easy to say.

Why do they need Ozigbo to be productive?

Because we need several good RBs. If you can't rely on the run game at all, that's a reason for your offense to collapse. I favor a pass-first philosophy, and that's much stronger with some workhorse backs.

If Bryant, Wilbon, etc emerge that's fine too and will work just as well. Ozigbo has been the closest thing to reliable lately though, and if they're talking about him sliding down below a walk-on it's one heck of a drop. It's a legitimately concerning and negative development.

And, yes, a power back is important -- even in pass first offenses where you have excellent receiving backs. Picking up 150 on the ground isn't a trivial task. If we don't have a reliable stable we're not likely to bother trying -- and then it comes down to the OTs who are a fairly serious ? mark. If you can run the ball when you need to, then you do it, so the stats kinda do bear this out.

You want your run game to be productive I agree, but it really doesn't matter if it is Ozigbo, Wilbon, Bryant, Mazur or Rose. You just want it to be productive. This is something I actually agree with Sam. I think Rose can fill the Ozigbo role quite well.

I just think there is a lot of hand wringing going on and no one really knows what is going to happen Sam included. It just seems to me that most people on this board want Nebraska to be this power run team that is going to go for 250 to 300 a game. Guess what that is not what MR or DL want. That is what TO wanted to do. I see nothing wrong with 150 on the ground and 300 threw the air per game. But everyone on this board wants that reversed.

Why does it matter? Give me an offense that scores 35 a game and a defense that gives up 17 a game and I will be a happy fan.

I don't buy the premise of the passing game opening up the run. Also, the QB run game takes away a defender to stop the RB run game, just like a quality passing game does.

There is no sense going around and around on this. We each have our opinions. Sam has questions and concerns about the offense, and I think they are viable concerns. I think a lot of fans are saying "The offense will be fine with a new QB" and I don't think it's that easy to say.

Sorry, but TL or POB is going to be a major upgrade in the passing game over TA. The offense is going to be different than it was the last 2 years. It really is. I don't know if it will be better for sure, but I do know the offense hasn't been real productive for a long time. I am excited to see them try something different.

Well you should buy the premise the pass can open up the run because alot of successful offenses were built on that premise

Well you should buy the premise the pass can open up the run because alot of successful offenses were built on that premise

Not really, almost all coaches would rather hand the ball off all game if they could get 5-6 yards a carry. Most pass a lot becuase they can't run a lot. Coaches want to win and they want to win with the easiest and safest method possible.

Not really, almost all coaches would rather hand the ball off all game if they could get 5-6 yards a carry. Most pass a lot becuase they can't run a lot. Coaches want to win and they want to win with the easiest and safest method possible.
Yes the great Bill Walsh was an idiot

Yes the great Bill Walsh was an idiot

Yeah...they never ran the ball.

But like I said they want to win the easiest way possible and Montana to Rice is pretty easy.