Nationalist and/or Globalist - Trump's Trade policy thread

Fun fact.....I've met the family who owns Inbev.....owner of Anheuser Busch.

This all is true.....But, we must also realize that there are one hell of a lot of American companies that own businesses in these other countries. So, it's not just a one way street.

Interesting tid bit I would suggest you discuss in class (I'm assuming this is a college level class). Please stress the how valuable they would be as employees if they were bi-lingual. Americans are very arrogant in the thought that the whole world should speak English because we do.

Now....it's fine to have that attitude. But, if these kids really want to work in international business, this would skyrocket their market value in the job market.

This thread has me musing on how funny it is that lately, some of you conservatives on the board have been sounding quite progressive. And I would consider myself pretty progresssive (at least aspirationally so) but lately I've been sounding like an old-fashioned free market Reaganite scion.

When we get down to it I think there's not so much difference between most Americans in the moderate center -- we've just been splintered across two different parties and conditioned to oppose one another.

We're due for a political realignment so maybe it's time to come together in the center. :)

This thread has me musing on how funny it is that lately, some of you conservatives on the board have been sounding quite progressive. And I would consider myself pretty progresssive (at least aspirationally so) but lately I've been sounding like an old-fashioned free market Reaganite scion.

When we get down to it I think there's not so much difference between most Americans in the moderate center -- we've just been splintered across two different parties and conditioned to oppose one another.

We're due for a political realignment so maybe it's time to come together in the center. :)

I think if you go issue by issue, there isn't as much disagreement between individual voters as it's made out to be in the press and the parties. Abortion is always going to be an issue that polarizes people, but I think most other issues we can find some common ground even between the far left and right.

• Fire 1

I'm curious to know how you think any of the discussion above is more "progressive" than you would expect from us.

Fun fact.....I've met the family who owns Inbev.....owner of Anheuser Busch.

This all is true.....But, we must also realize that there are one hell of a lot of American companies that own businesses in these other countries. So, it's not just a one way street.

Interesting tid bit I would suggest you discuss in class (I'm assuming this is a college level class). Please stress the how valuable they would be as employees if they were bi-lingual. Americans are very arrogant in the thought that the whole world should speak English because we do.

Now....it's fine to have that attitude. But, if these kids really want to work in international business, this would skyrocket their market value in the job market.

Yes, I do discuss that. I also tell them, if possible, try to get a position in one of their companies overseas offices so that they can immerse themselves in another culture. It will be one of the best things they can do for their career. For me, my company is full of diverse culture - We are owned my a Mexican corp, wt a German name, based in Tulsa. I once had a meeting in the conference room with 13 individuals - 8 different countries were represented in that conf room. Culture is a big portion of my class - you can have all of the business skills in the world but if you mess up with a cultural slip of the tongue or hand gesture - you might blow the deal.

I think if you go issue by issue, there isn't as much disagreement between individual voters as it's made out to be in the press and the parties. Abortion is always going to be an issue that polarizes people, but I think most other issues we can find some common ground even between the far left and right.

I agree with this. As I have said often - we are all trying to find answers to problems and provide the solutions. We often just have a different path to the solution - most issues are not 'good vs evil' but 'good vs better'. The press and extremes have made it good vs evil.

• Fire 2
  • 2 months later...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nafta-farming-idUSKBN19Z0DU

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - With talks to renegotiate the NAFTA trade pact just weeks away, U.S. farm groups and lawmakers from rural states are intensifying lobbying of President Donald Trump's administration with one central message: leave farming out of it.

Trump blames the North American Free Trade Agreement - the "worst trade deal ever" in his words - for millions of lost manufacturing jobs and promises to tilt it in America's favor.

But for U.S. farmers the 23-year old pact secures access to stable, lucrative markets in Mexico and Canada that now account for over a quarter of U.S. farm exports.

Farm exports to Mexico and Canada have quadrupled under NAFTA. The top products exported are corn, soybeans, pork and dairy (all major Nebraska and Iowa products).

Trump's pledges to crack down on immigration and calls for a wall along the border with Mexico also vex farm state lawmakers.

"What I really need is a good, solid immigration system,” South Dakota Republican Senator Mike Rounds said. Given his state's low unemployment rate of just around 2.8 percent, farmers and ranchers need better access to legal foreign labor, he said.

NAFTA has been great for American farmers, and awful, worse than awful, for Mexican farmers. It is likely the biggest cause of the influx of Mexican immigrants to the U.S.

I didn't realize that. Interesting. To me, that sounds like an opportunity for American agricultural manufacturing companies to help Mexico modernize its agriculture, which might help stabilize its economy. That's in our best interests, isn't it?

Also, the idea of forcing American companies to pay fair wages to Mexican workers both helps stem the tide of jobs lost in the US, and creates decent jobs for Mexicans. Exploiting Mexican workers only benefits American Corporate interests, not the working class, unless you are a supply-side economics proponent, IMO.

"America First" doesn't always serve our best interests, it appears.

NAFTA has been great for American farmers, and awful, worse than awful, for Mexican farmers. It is likely the biggest cause of the influx of Mexican immigrants to the U.S.

I didn't realize that. Interesting. To me, that sounds like an opportunity for American agricultural manufacturing companies to help Mexico modernize its agriculture, which might help stabilize its economy. That's in our best interests, isn't it?

Also, the idea of forcing American companies to pay fair wages to Mexican workers both helps stem the tide of jobs lost in the US, and creates decent jobs for Mexicans. Exploiting Mexican workers only benefits American Corporate interests, not the working class, unless you are a supply-side economics proponent, IMO.

"America First" doesn't always serve our best interests, it appears.

Here's some info on it:

https://www.citizen.org/sites/default/files/naftas-mexico-legacy.pdf

• Fire 1

• 9 months later...