Bad Goats

The grievance is because the local union wasn't notified, correct? Not because the goats are "stealing work". That's the way I understand it. I have no problem with anyone filing a grievance.

I would assume the union would also like to be notified if the University allowed local volunteers to come and perform work on campus. This really isn't that much different.

• Fire 3

If I'm understanding correctly the Union is concerned that they have people out of work, that this is at least in part affecting that, and that proper procedures of some kind weren't followed. Without knowing too much more, it's hard to make a judgment on any of this. I would guess that there's some concern as to what else will go unannounced if this slides. It's plainly in the employer's interests to ignore any concerns it can get away with, but that doesn't mean they were in the wrong here, either.

The other two aspects of this:

• Goats are funny
  • Some people would like unions to be crushed further and thus will take every chance they get to fight this PR campaign.

I'll admit that goats are funny.

It sounds like there's a process at work and it's playing out the way intended. Nothing or something might come out of this grievance filing. It's unclear (well, actually, not that unclear) why this is being made into a big story.

Ok so you notify the union about this, what difference does that make? What will they do about it?

I'm not sure how accurate my thinking is, but it seems like one of two things:

- They wouldn't file a grievance.

- They wouldn't buy the university's assurances that this is not displacing their workers, and they'd file a grievance anyway.

Whether any counter-case exists to the one the University put forth about the goats being helpful and zero impact to human labor is unclear. If there is none, then the University could've avoided the grievance in the first place quite easily, but in any case it'll get settled, right?

• Fire 1