Fox Sports 1 ad features a heavy dose of Nebraska

knapplc

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The athletic department asked Fox not to run the ad anymore.  It's not fan overreaction.

Yes....all the "this makes the AD look bad" or "I can't believe the AD did that"....type of comments are all over reaction.

It's nothing more than fans seeing something and needing to think the AD screwed up....when in reality, it's just part of running a business.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yes....all the "this makes the AD look bad" or "I can't believe the AD did that"....type of comments are all over reaction.

It's nothing more than fans seeing something and needing to think the AD screwed up....when in reality, it's just part of running a business.

My apologies.  I thought you were saying that the butthurt over the ad was fan overreaction.  

Not the AD asking for the ad to be pulled.

I don't think it's overreacting to say the AD's move here is lame.  While you can defend its merits from a pr, or business, or corporate standpoint, the simple fact remains that the commercial was silly and fun.  Two things that used to mean something in college sports.

The Broken Chair Trophy comes to mind....

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, IA State Husker said:

I don't think it's overreacting to say the AD's move here is lame.  While you can defend its merits from a pr, or business, or corporate standpoint, the simple fact remains that the commercial was silly and fun.  Two things that used to mean something in college sports.

The Broken Chair Trophy comes to mind....

Yes it is.

It's nothing more than fans micro critiquing every move the AD makes.

• Plus1 1

I think this conversation, like many on a message board, is artificially inflating how much people care about this.

I was "meh" about the commercial. It was OK, barely registered with me.  My interest with it was 2/10

I was not so happy with the use of the cornfield AGAIN in reference to Nebraska, but I legit care about that around 1/10.

I'm fine with the University controlling their own brand and asking Fox not to run that ad. 2/10

Fox did something kind of edgy and it was fine, despite the trite themes.  1/10

However, even though all of those things barely register with me, I have an opinion and I voiced it, and I'll defend my position, so that makes people think I care 7/10 or more. But that's not really the case, this isn't a big deal, and I'm ready to move on to another subject.  But, since this is the internet and 1) people can't read my tone & body language they have to go off my typing ability and 2) the internet never forgets, this whole conversation will be remembered as a far, far bigger deal than it ever was. It'll get tossed with the other kindling into the fire pit of Athletic Director judgment, and we'll be hearing about this in some reference by someone five years from now, either to support the AD or to his detriment, depending on the preconceived notions of that particular member.

• Plus1 2

I'm annoyed with this, mainly because hey, it's more than we've gotten from anyone else, and now we won't have our own commercial at all. It's not red alert levels though of annoyance though. That's saved for the administration being stupid about the $5 Bits Of Broken Chair trophy. What they did with that is a damn travesty.

• Plus1 3

28 minutes ago, Husker2019 said:

I thought Minnesota didn't want the trophy and Nebraska just kinda rolled with it

Nope. UNL AD killed it, even after Riley embraced it.

There's a grassroots campaign to get it back. Sounds like some fraternities are taking it upon themselves to make it a thing, just like how the MU/NU victory bell started.

• Plus1 2

When a UNL spokesman says that neither school is interested, and there's no dispute from the minny officials, I don't think just the UNL AD killed it. Keep in mind it showed up on our twitter with Riley after we won it. Iirc it never showed up on Minnesota's twitter, just the mascot and some fans'

My understanding from informed people is that pushback on the chair initially came from Minnesota and we stood down.

In 2015 UNL was allowing fans to get their picture with the Chair at the Fan Experience Pavilion. I doubt we went from actively displaying it to being the sole party to kill it over one off season  (although I acknowledge stranger things have happened).

• Plus1 1