2017-2018 Season Notes

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Dang...sucks for them.  

For reals...3-14 in the Big Ten is a toss up this year.

Just crazy to see how bad Wisconsin has been. I am not joking when I say that Michigan State might not lose a game in the Big Ten. They only play Purdue once and thats at home. 

I am sure they slip up once and lose a game, but honestly they are so far and away from every team, its not funny.

I assumed Illinois would struggle. Rutgers is Rutgers... but Iowa and Wisconsin being this bad is a bit surprising. 

I think Nebraska should have a winning record in the B1G this year but with how down the conference is, I dont think thats enough to go to the dance. 

If we beat Stetson, and are 10-5 and go lets say 9-7 the rest of the way in the B1G we are at 19-12... unless we make a run in the tourney, I just dont know.

Game @ Purdue becomes that much more important since the win over MN doesnt hold as much weight. 

We only play MSU and Purdue once each.. so maybe we can pad stats by playing Illinois, Rutgers and Wisconsin twice.

Looks like the only chance for a good win left on the schedule is at Purdue.  There are a couple of chances for "decent" wins against Michigan & Maryland at home and at Minnesota.  Since we already beat Minnesota, there are diminishing returns on a second win.

With the weakness of the conference we will probably have to end up with 20 or 21 wins to feel comfortably in the NCAA's.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is it unrealistic for me to think this team has a chance to win 20+ games?  We are at 11-5 with 15 games left.  That would mean they would need to go 9-6 or better the rest of the way.  That would make them 11-7 in conference.

No, it isn't.  Like I have been saying, this is the worst Big Ten I think I have ever seen.  It will go MSU, Purdue, Michigan...after that it is wide open.  

I think NU gets to 18 for sure.  

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, it isn't.  Like I have been saying, this is the worst Big Ten I think I have ever seen.  It will go MSU, Purdue, Michigan...after that it is wide open.  

I think NU gets to 18 for sure.  

No guarantee Michigan gets that 3rd spot. They already lost to Ohio State. I think MSU is locked at 1 and Purdue at 2.

Michigan has to play Purdue twice. at MSU, and again vs OSU.

I would say Michigan is in good shape at top 5, but who truly knows.

The guy on the broadcast yesterday said he thought B1G would get 6 maybe 7 teams in the dance... No chance in my opinion, but if it is 6 I say:

MSU

Purdue

OSU

Michigan

MN

Neb

Maryland- borderline- could bounce MN or NEB.

After watching Northwestern yesterday, I am retracting from my earlier thoughts that they are a NCAA tourney team.  

57 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

No guarantee Michigan gets that 3rd spot. They already lost to Ohio State. I think MSU is locked at 1 and Purdue at 2.

The guy on the broadcast yesterday said he thought B1G would get 6 maybe 7 teams in the dance... No chance in my opinion, but if it is 6 I say:

MSU

Purdue

OSU

Michigan

MN

Neb

After watching Northwestern yesterday, I am retracting from my earlier thoughts that they are a NCAA tourney team.  

I think Illinois will be the team no one wants to play late.  They play/start 3 true freshmen, they have a true freshmen PG that is averaging 18 over his last 4 games and they play nasty defense and turn teams over.  They have had the lead in the second half of every game this year, late, but are still learning to win.

I agree that NW doesn't look like a tourney team.  OSU I still can't figure out.  

Right now I would put Nebraska in the dance.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

MSU

Purdue

OSU

Michigan

MN

Neb

Maryland has a better RPI in and out of conference than Nebraska does.. and they are 13-3

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

MD is pretty good but they did just lose a starter for year...but I still think they make it in the dance.

Sucks for them, hadn't heard that. I still think they, like you said, make the dance.

EDIT: I also think Tim Miles is not a good enough coach, and the teams continued crappy play bears this out.. better players or not.

Edited by Bornhusker
2 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Maryland has a better RPI in and out of conference than Nebraska does.. and they are 13-3

I am assuming this comes down to who finishes higher in Conference play.

Maryland beat Butler and thats about it. 

They have to play MSU, Mich and PUR twice(already lost to Purdue).

Lost Justin Jackson(29 min/10.6PPG) and Ivan Bender(12.3 Min/ 3.4 PPG) for the year. Neither were top 3 in scoring(Bender isnt a big deal except for some depth), but still doesnt help going in to the B1G losing 41 Min and 14/PPG

Its such a toss up.

1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I am assuming this comes down to who finishes higher in Conference play.

Maryland beat Butler and thats about it. 

They have to play MSU, Mich and PUR twice(already lost to Purdue).

Lost Justin Jackson(29 min/10.6PPG) and Ivan Bender(12.3 Min/ 3.4 PPG) for the year. Neither were top 3 in scoring(Bender isnt a big deal except for some depth), but still doesnt help going in to the B1G losing 41 Min and 14/PPG

Its such a toss up.

The loss of that player will hurt for sure..