Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

53 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Except trade is not balanced, and the U.S. is increasingly on the short end of that stick.

Things like unfair trade practices and currency manipulation can also occur.

Tariffs are as much a political maneuver as financial.

I would not agree that it's simple.

I agree with the bolded. Let's do something about those.

I don't think tearing up existing trade deals or using tariffs move the ball forward. I think that's actually harmful.

I'm also not convinced running a trade deficit is a bad thing for the U.S. Trump seems to think it is, but everything I've read says it isn't so. He's oversimplifying it.

Trump is even more of an idiot than I thought.  

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/streettalk/trump-gary-cohn-resign-tariffs/2018/03/06/id/847070/
He thinks it is no big thing that Cohn will leave if he goes ahead with the tariffs.  Why?  Because he thinks he is the only inteligent guy in the room.

President Donald Trump has told advisers that he believes economic adviser Gary Cohn will leave his White House job if Trump decides to go forward with tariffs on imported steel and aluminum, people familiar with the matter say.

Cohn has mounted a last-ditch effort, along with other administration officials and some Republican lawmakers, to head off steep tariffs that threaten to unleash a global trade war.

Cohn has been summoning executives from U.S. companies that depend on the metals to meet this week with Trump to try to blunt or halt the tariffs, according to those familiar with the meeting planning. It’s unclear whether Cohn’s moves would be enough to change the president’s mind.

He is in denial about the chaos in the WH  -  he has people he wants to change still - reaching for perfection so he says  Note: perfection is defined as "People who are loyal to me and and agree with me on all things"

Trump said in a tweet Tuesday there may be more staff turnover, even as he denied his administration is chaotic.

"People will always come & go, and I want strong dialogue before making a final decision,” Trump said in a Twitter posting. “I still have some people that I want to change (always seeking perfection). There is no Chaos, only great Energy!"

Trade isn't simple, and I don't think the tariff issue is, either.

Dems have traditionally been tariff friendly when the tariffs aided blue collar union jobs in blue collar states, and it appears that Trump may be rewarding Pennsylvania and Ohio for flipping his way. Conservatives generally have to square their America First instincts with the kind of Protectionism that flies in the face of the free market. A handful of industries will benefit, but millions of American will pay the higher cost for consumer goods. Combined with the recent tax cuts, tariffs provide the perfect recipe for inflation. That's an election year nightmare. 

A shake up in the trade imbalance may have a longer term benefit, and perhaps we shouldn't worry about what Angela Merkel or Paul Ryan thinks. There might be a counter-intuitive solution to rebuilding America's manufacturing infrastructure, and this might be the first step.

But if I had to bet, I'd go with Donald Trump doing the wrong thing for a vain reason. 

• Plus1 1

It is very telling to me that I am seeing more and more articles from CNBC or people interviewed on CNBC that are very critical of what is happening in Washington.  If Trump is being successful and smart on what he claims he wants to be successful at, these people would be some who would be happy.

After market close, there has been a major conversation about who the turmoil in DC is negatively affecting the markets.  

Remember when trump claimed the markets are skyrocketing because of him and only him because he is the greatest business man in all of world history????

Yeah.....a lot of people are seeing through that.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It is very telling to me that I am seeing more and more articles from CNBC or people interviewed on CNBC that are very critical of what is happening in Washington.  If Trump is being successful and smart on what he claims he wants to be successful at, these people would be some who would be happy.

After market close, there has been a major conversation about who the turmoil in DC is negatively affecting the markets.  

Remember when trump claimed the markets are skyrocketing because of him and only him because he is the greatest business man in all of world history????

Yeah.....a lot of people are seeing through that.

Trump's way ahead of you...

People on CNBC can't complain about what he does if he hires them to work for him!