Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

We're beginning to get into "Nixon talking to White House paintings" territory here. Hearing snippets like this doesn't speak well to his mental wellness.

He's lied so much he has no idea what the truth is anymore... plus, you know, he's an idiot

• Plus1 1
On 3/23/2018 at 11:45 AM, Clifford Franklin said:

Signed the funding bill. As usual, his bluster is just all talk, no action. Trump is very good at posturing like a tough guy, but never follows through on his threats.

Also, this:

He's just SO ignorant about just everything in general. This man has no idea about any given topic he talks about and he runs the United States government.

It shouldn't really come as a surprise.  He's a Democrat masquerading as a Republican so he just says whatever he thinks people want to hear or whatever gets his base fired up.  He doesn't understand a lot of what he's talking about, or doesn't believe what he's saying.  Our country was so desperate for someone different that they believed the garbage coming out of his mouth... and now a lot of them don't want to admit they were wrong.

• Plus1 1

Trump's latest target - Amazon.  He believes they are destroying small town stores.  Actually big town malls and shopping centers that

his friends own.  

Regardless, Amazon probably should be reviewed on monopoly issues.  The same as google.  They have oversized influence on our shopping and our information searching respectively.

https://www.axios.com/trump-regulation-amazon-facebook-646c642c-a2d7-454b-a9a9-cdc6e4eaef2c.html

Behind the president's thinking: Trump's wealthy friends tell him Amazon is destroying their businesses. His real estate buddies tell him — and he agrees — that Amazon is killing shopping malls and brick-and-mortar retailers

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Walmart did that long before Amazon came around.

Definitely. My hometown was full of insurance companies on main street before 2000. Maybe Trump thinks Walmart is a small town store.

Trump just has a grudge against Amazon. I think he's jealous because Bezos has way more $ than he has.

In all honesty, the internet might not be good for small businesses in general. I know it has helped some but take music as an example. There used to be dozens of stores that sold music. Now there are a very small # of big businesses that sell all the music. The small shops can't afford to buy the rights to sell mp3s (or whatever format songs are sold in now).

In other retail categories, small shops can't provide a catalog near the size of an online retailer and in order to be competitive online they would need to have a big stock of items somewhere. It's just not a good environment for small stores anymore. It happened already with Walmart but the internet made things harder.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Definitely. My hometown was full of insurance companies on main street before 2000. Maybe Trump thinks Walmart is a small town store.

Trump just has a grudge against Amazon. I think he's jealous because Bezos has way more $ than he has.

In all honesty, the internet might not be good for small businesses in general. I know it has helped some but take music as an example. There used to be dozens of stores that sold music. Now there are a very small # of big businesses that sell all the music. The small shops can't afford to buy the rights to sell mp3s (or whatever format songs are sold in now).

In other retail categories, small shops can't provide a catalog near the size of an online retailer and in order to be competitive online they would need to have a big stock of items somewhere. It's just not a good environment for small stores anymore. It happened already with Walmart but the internet made things harder.

It's kind of the nature of doing business in a world with never-ending scientific advancement.

Technology has hurt or shut down countless businesses, and that started long before anyone dreamed of the internet.

How many Pony Express riders or telegraph operators or switchboard operators are still around today?

Newspaper writers are dwindling like crazy these days.

Businesses and careers need to evolve with the times in order to stay afloat, let alone thrive.

Do I like that local businesses are going under?  No

Does it bother me enough to spend way more locally than it would cost online?  Not usually, but occasionally

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Small towns used to have lots of stores on main street like clothing stores, shoe stores, grocery stores, drug stores, hardware stores, meat markets...etc.  all locally owned and operated.  Then the big fancy Walmart comes to town and did predatory pricing to drive all of those business's out of business.

I personally can't stand Walmart but, I'm forced to go there now because there isn't another choice without driving more miles.

• Plus1 1

I haven't been to a Wal-mart in at least 20 years but I've always lived near/in Omaha or Lincoln.

I think Walmart costs a lot more than we realize. Just not necessarily when it comes to the cost of goods.

Anyhow, I feel kind of guilty about it but it's hard to pass on ordering from Amazon and it's just as bad as Walmart in many ways.

• Plus1 1

We've had a couple of malls 're-purposed' if you will.  One is now a business park another is now a church. 

A couple of shopping centers in the area are being redesigned to accommodate more entertainment and recreation venues. 

So real estate will have to adopt new strategies. 

Or you can have be a small town with a wealthy benefactor:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/features/pioneer-woman-to-renovate-two-buildings-in-pawhuska/article_7655f33d-0e1c-52e9-a48d-bb9948f8feca.html

Ree Drummond  of Pioneer Woman fame, is remaking this town of 3500 people building by building.  She created the Mercantile first (My wife wanted to go the 1st week it was open - I stood in line literally 2 hours for a table in the dining room while she shopped) and is expanding into a hotel and other shops and warehousing.  As a result, other small businesses have opened-- capitalizing on the traffic she is creating.  While I was standing in line, the TV camera came by and spoke to the group in front of me - 6 gals from Atlanta - one wanted to celebrate her birthday here of all places.  Then the TV caught me having a conversation wt Ree's father-in-law - the original rancher. We were talking about farm/ranch stuff.  Pawhuska is about an hour NW of Tulsa.  A once dead town, has come alive.  Actually it is a neat small town with a Catholic Church with probably the finest stain glass windows you will find

in the USA (paid by Osage Indian oil money in the 1910-20s)

http://stainedglass.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/081-CathedralOsage.pdf

There - you can make your travel plans and I have just provided free marketing for a small town main street. 

• Plus1 1